1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo2go DATABASE

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by deech, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Should a Countdown with the amount be imposted on the 1st page for bringing our Old Database back?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2017.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Yes but.. (Write down a suggestion Please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No Because .. (Write down a suggestion Please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Leave S2GO as it is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't really care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone else here Reno, but I've been busy as hell with the kids activities. It's bogged me down to the point I don't even flick the laptop on most nights. Work, kids and everything else gets put on the front burner. Now with the weather warming a whole new list of "To Do's" appear.

The flip side of that is longer days (sunlight), Warmer weather (boomer weather) and cold drinks (fill in your poison here) are coming. Hockey is over for my kids, now it's baseball (I reluctantly volunteered after no other parent stepped up to coach....again) and soccer. These don't involve any travelling outside the city so I should be back on more often.

@ Reli I believe the database is the wealth of info that never made the migration from the old S2go site to the new forum. The integration in this forum is something the Mods would have to decide but, just having that data back online would be a boon for every collector and fan.

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

hate to disagree but im not really bothered about the database, personally the only posts i would like to see are the Legendery Litfan posts, a legend lost in time

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Brutus442 and Boodokhan like this.
  3. Brutus442

I miss John Edward's posts and extensive collection, and various private collections of boxes but the tear down and repair posts to me were invaluable.

I also miss the exotic/ rare boxes as well. The "one off's" so to speak.

And don't get me started on the legendary "market tours" a la Deech!:thumbsup:

P.S. and yes, Rich's posts and banter are sadly missed, but his spirit is alive and well in his boomers that are preserved by the new owners. He'd certainly be happy about that!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. deech

deech Well-Known Member

If possible i d like an answer to the question i asked in the 1st page of this thread
    Hugo about the amount needed for paying a professional Technician for bringing the DB back .
    If theres no answer it would be appreciated to at least tell us that you dont know. Its not bad to not know.Still waiting for it.
    The poll ends in 2 days and as i can see there is a
    respectable number of members that wan it back.
    We as mods cant do much other than moderating.
    Its the admins that have to decide and tell us more about this.

5. Brutus442

True Deech.

Without all of the facts about the amount required, it may prove to be a difficult ask if it's VERY expensive.

Machaneus and deech like this.
  6. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

This site is often the only source of info about rare boxes. I often do a search on Google and find photos from the old Stereo2Go, but unfortunately I cannot click on them because the old database is down. It would be great to bring it back!

deech and Brutus442 like this.
  7. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I have a complete and browseable back up of the site so worse case we can rebuild it manually, just hard finding time

Machaneus, Mystic Traveller and deech like this.
  8. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Glad that nobody misses my surreal threads :D :D This said, as Reli correctly points out, the wealth of info contained in the DB for the historian, the would-be modder, the technician or the simple fan does not deserve to get lost. I appreciate a lot T-ster's offer, but I believe that manual processing of the data is beyond a single individual.

Yet -- and here's the point of the whole thread, if I get deech's intentions right -- what does it takes to get reliable info about the costs of a total DB recovery & integration in the new site? Is it so difficult to get an estimate from, say two or three companies, in order to chose the one that cost less? Provided of course that the expenses are affordable. But if we don't ask, we'll never know.

PS - Only 12 votes (all "Yes"), so far. This is somewhat surprising and not encouraging, but I am confident that low enthusiasm for this thread depends on its being overlooked by members. Wishful thinking on my part?

Machaneus, Brutus442 and deech like this.
  9. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I am just speculating, but maybe the reason people aren't voting is because they don't understand what "bringing back the database" means. In more direct terms it means all the old content would be accessible.

Mystic Traveller and deech like this.
  10. deech

deech Well-Known Member

I think that for a months poll this didnt get so much attention.
    Nevertheless the vast majority (92.3 % with 12 votes out of 13) agreed and decided that putting a countdown
    on top of the site with the amount needed for bringing back all the old content as Reli said to be accessible again for all to see
    is a necessity and a silent demand ( if you ask me ) from the old members. So admins please consider this seriously.

Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  11. samovar

It all boils down to this: do collectors of historical items care for the history of this site? (Mind you, I do not mean an anecdotical history of stereo2go, but one full of precious information).

The question sounds rhetorical to me, as the answer should be obvious. Just in case, though: of course they do.

There are technical problems, and there are financial problems. The sense of this thread is to take stock of both, and see if something can be done. Especially because in the transition from the old platform to the new ample assurance was given in that sense.

True, the poll received tepid attention, although it got no "No" votes -- just one "Maybe". But the relevance of its topic goes beyond numbers and percentages. Food for thought both for the past and for the future of s2go.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Brutus442, Reli, deech and 2 others like this.
  12. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Thanks Samovar for clearing the picture ,once again, certainly that is the situation.

@T-ster ,until that can be done is it possible to upload it in anyway so can have access manually anyone interested ? Probably multiple compressed files due to the large size. I think it can be done but I don't know how.

Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  13. Middachten

Middachten Member

Is this topic still alive?
    I can't vote somehow but if I could it would be a 'yes'.

I'm new to this forum and only just started my trip down memory lane. But I'm much looking forward to reviving my DD-II, PX101 and maybe get my other DD-33 back to life as well (I have a playing/ clicking one).
    Google hits suggest S2Go to be a prime resource for such adventures.

If the old contributions are as valuable as they seem to be I would be pleased to contribute to a funding excersise to make it happen.

Brutus442 likes this.
  14. samovar

The topic is still alive in my book, but deech closed the poll due to low & slow feedback from the forum.
    Old contributions are more valuable than they seem to be, but we have to live with the fact that they are not going to be reimplemented.

15. Brutus442

Keep the dream alive my friends...there's a wealth of data that needs to see the light of day!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I don't know why I haven't received any notifications from this thread...
    Well, I remember a technician told me it's unsure the exact amount, but knowing the amount of info it will be around 4000$ if I don't remember badly.
    Pretty high cost, though...

17. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Pretty high for sure Hugo but shouldnt we do something about it?

Brutus442 likes this.
  18. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Recently I bought a new internal drive 4TB and a 5TB external drive, as I ran out of space with my external and internal drives AND because I didn't have a architecture from years past like I do currently as I am trying to corral all of the pictures and video I have into a timeline and by brand/model and year and month and then I would like to post this probably into a series' of video's with pictures in the video. ( you know pause the video an get a screenshot ) Anyway I am backing up my backup but with a way that I can view it without needing a computer to search my drives. as I hate the way that W IMG_0234 bedroom EOS 70D James BBDB x2 dvd stereo2go.JPG 10 likes to search the web when I want to search my drives so I built this desktop into win7ult and I recently bought a Dell latitude and downgraded it to win7ult as well so that I can search my drives on the go. Here is a pic taken just now with the Canon EOS 70D 10 July 2017 ( no date in the picture ) of my 2 copies of the BBDB that can only run on win98 of which I will build and run to view these soon. IMG_0234 bedroom EOS 70D James BBDB x2 dvd stereo2go

Brutus442 and Boodokhan like this.
  19. walkman archive

I've contacted a guy here in Spain that is a IT pro that told me he can take a look. He maybe can do something.

20. walkman archive

Oh, cassette2go, are you Decentman4you?