1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition of "glorious moment of the week", with photo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by walkman archive, Jul 27, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Here's my definition of this moment:

[​IMG]
    What's yours? (with photo, please :thumbsup:)

Ball000 and Chris like this.
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Getting this puppy home :) IMG_3943.JPG

Ball000 likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Active Member

Now that's some serious kit...

I've just bought a nice pair of headphones which I'm quite happy about.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. walkman archive

Impressive boombox. What's that slot above the main cassette door?

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Another cassette deck :)

6. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

I bought a Sony TC-K7II cassette deck as a match to my Sony EL-7 Elcaset deck. This is an old deck which doesn't have many of the features of decks produced in the following decade, but it sure has got my attention, lately, on how nice the tape transport operates and the great playback of many of my pre-recorded and personalized mix tapes.

[​IMG]

Nando.

Ball000 likes this.
  7. walkman archive

Ahh, ok. Then that's the weirder -yet very cool- double deck I've ever seen. :swoon

Those are indeed cousin decks Nando. The EL-7 is very beautiful and I wouldn't mind to have one, and the K7II is as cool as the EL7. Truly a pleasure to look both at. congrats! :thumbsup:
    Hey Nando, I think I remember you owe me a mixtape... :boogie: :bigthumbsup:

8. walkman archive

BTW: When I told about the 'glorious moment' I was more thinking in a photo with the deck/walkman/boombox playing so we can see the speakers, headphones and maybe some food/drink. When you're alone or with your beloved girl/boy...
    I mean: it's not just to share the gear alone, but when you're enjoying it... :music:
    I can0t wait to see other's moment of glory with their vintage gear...

9. walkman archive

I'm at Madrid now at my father's home to be accompanying him for some days. Now that he's sleeping a bit, I'm having my moment of glory, with my Super DC2, the RHA L1 amp, the Beyerdynamic DT-990 and @Chris' mixtape:

IMG_8832.JPG

With also a cup of good Rioja wine, it's my moment of glory!

Ball000 and Chris like this.
  10. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Yes, Hugo, I do owe you a mix tape. It has been a year since I received yours. Perhaps, I could post a photo of your mix tape being played in one of my portables for this thread? I have a better understanding now of what you intend for this thread. Great idea!

Nando.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  11. Chris

Chris Active Member

I think I'm getting the gist of this thread.

Right now, I'm very happy to be listening to my self-recorded Blondie cassette on my D6C with my new Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones (sorry for horrible quality pic, it's my webcam...):

WIN_20170804_19_47_04_Pro.jpg

Deb64 and Ball000 like this.
  12. walkman archive

I bet that sounds good. The D6C sounds great and can manage perfectly well the vast majority of headphones.
    I've hear a lot about those M50x, to be one of the best bang for the buck, right? I hear some recommending them to everyone that wants a headphone that sounds great without having to spend a lot...
    Cheers,

13. walkman archive

Hey Nando, it's great to see you here again. don't worry my friend, I was just kidding a bit. I sent you my mixtape because I wanted to and not within a deal of signed exchange, so feel free to do what you wish. :wave:
    Can't negate, though, that it would make me very happy :nodding:

Any of the photos you often post about you listening to your impressive set-up (and also those with a cup of drink) are a perfect description of a "moment of glory" :thumbsup:

14. Chris

Chris Active Member

The sound quality is excellent but the bass is a bit weak, might have to buy an amplifier.

15. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Another WM-D6 back from the dead.

[​IMG]

I bought a box of parts of a D6 and D6C a couple of years ago. I soon realised that there was a complete D6 - in bits - in the box so started putting it back together. The CP602 module hadn't failed completely, but was showing signs that it might do so soon so I replaced the FET and NPN transistor which are the usual culprits. The picture shows the D6 on test with the CP602 attached using a test wiring harness. I'm running it from the bench power supply and listening through a pair of old computer speakers. The speed is now stable and it sounds good.
    It had another problem in that it would play too fast on start up and then slow down to normal speed after about 10 to 15 seconds. This was due to a faulty capacitor C607 (0.15uF, 35V tantalum bead).
    The mute module had failed so I've replaced it. I have yet to carry out the full alignment and test on this D6 so it may throw up a few more surprises yet but it's heading in the right direction.

The photo may qualify for "glorious moment" on two counts as it captures a rare moment in which the sun is shining here in Leicestershire. But it did rain about 10 minutes before I took the photo!

Attached Files:

Chris, Ball000 and Jorge like this.
  16. walkman archive

I think I've read that the M50x has a slightly dark sound = low treble and big bass, so if you find it to be weak in bass it could be the recording or the source... Or maybe your taste :wink2
    By searching for some information I read that it lacks some 'punch'. For a similar price and in this cathegory I think you can try the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. The soundstage is very narrow, but it's very neutral sounding (so more treble) and has more punch, as well as excellent isolation (a bit better, though). The cable is one of those twisted but for indoor use is fine. The Beyerdynamic DT990 can be a good alternative too (V sound profile), although it's not closed and it's a bit more expensive.

Chris likes this.
  17. walkman archive

Curious "reliving" of a D6C.
    Regarding the sun, seems that you have few while we (at spain) have excess. If we could give out a bit of sun we will be better. 40º C yesterday here in Madrid!

18. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Ouch! 40º C is too hot for my liking. The "Lucifer" heatwave sounds very unpleasent. I hope you get some relief from the heat soon.

The Walkman I'm repairing is not a D6C but the earlier WM-D6, which was made between 1982 and 1984. A common problem with these is that the motor runs too fast due to failure of the servo circuit unit (CP602) - a potted surface mount module which is no longer available.
    If the motor runs too fast on a D6C, the repair is easier as it usually involves replacing the CX20084 chip, which is still available.
    The CP602 module on the D6 has a 20024 chip on it, which is no longer available but the problem is usually a FET and NPN transistor.
    I have posted instructions on how to repair the CP602 on another forum but will post them on Stereo2go if asked to do so.

The D6C is similar to the D6 but Sony did make some changes such as adding a line in socket to the D6C. The D6 had a single input socket which could be switched between line and mic. I think they used a different head as well.
    The D6 has two headphone sockets so you can listen with a friend. I don't think anybody ever did, so they fitted a single headphone socket on the D6C.

Jorge and Ball000 like this.
  19. walkman archive

Yup, 40ºC is too much for us too. It seems Lucifer won't give us a pause until a few days... :crybye
    Very interesting all that aobut the D6 & D6C. I have suffered the speed issue on two of my D6C but now it's solved. A great player/recorded indeed.

20. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

getting my replacment sony cd3000 since the 90's and getting 2 fully working m90's again sums it up for me

Cassette2go likes this.