1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My thoughts about boomboxes

Discussion in 'Best Threads' started by walkman archive, Dec 11, 2016.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I've always loved boomboxes, especially when I was a teen. I had a difficult puberty and music has always been (and will be) a haven of calm and enjoyment.

I have already had a few boomboxes, starting with a couple very tatty, reaching an excellent one, passing through several intermediate.

I think I have a good "ear smell": seeing the look of a specific model and its specifications I can quickly have a pretty good idea of its quality. This smell hasn’t failed me, I have hit pretty well most of the times.

The truth is that I almost always have been more interested in Walkmans than in boomboxes, for one simple reason: I care so much about sound quality. In my case, to have a listening room with excellent acoustics, a high-end stereo and total isolation is simply impossible. Instead, enjoy a similar sensation thanks to high-end headphones, it is possible (and I think today I already have a set-up that meets enough my needs in music terms).

It is also true that intimacy and isolation that provides good a Walkman with headphones is something that in my opinion is unbeatable.

sony_headphones_mdr-3000_&_wm-dc2_02.jpg

For these situations where you just want some background music while doing some daily tasks at home, but not looking for extreme quality, a boombox is perfect. Still, I’d no take any sardine can.

Right now I have no boombox at home. I have my HIFI ONKYO stereo in the living room, and my little Cambridge Soundworks speakers connected to my sound card X-Fi in my PC which both satisfies me needs enough.

But I recently acquired a very special radio cassette: the extraordinary AIWA Strasser SR8, which for me is the best boombox ever made, for many reasons.

boombox-aiwa-strasser-csd-sr8.jpg
    The AIWA Strasser CSD-SR8. Photo: Unkown.​

I have had a Japanese friend at ’92 which had one of this at his room, and I always was very impressed about it’s quality. I was at the university, living in a student residence, and I could hear and play a bit with almost all student’s boomboxes then, of many of my colleagues (about 100 in total) and, believe me, this SR8 beated them all by a BIG margin, even with bigger boomboxes in size (I remember there were some big Panasonic also).

I would like to explain why do I think that this is the very best boombox ever made, and which are (IMHO) the weaknesses of many other models that are very popular. First of all: because of it’s high sound quality, closer to a small HIFI than to a boombox.

Definitely, for me the most important characteristic is the sound quality. If I had to put on a scale of 0-10 different sound sources, would underscore the natural sound:

chicago_symphony_orchestra_2005.jpg
    The Chicago symphony orchestra. Photo: unknown​

And in the last position, the sardine can:

boombox_sony_sardine_can.jpg

So, this is how I score their audio quality:

boomboxes_2.jpg
    (all models are in approximate scale)​

Again: this is my particular view on all these devices. If I'm wrong at some point, I'll be happy to hear comments.

Maybe to talk about the sound quality of a boombox I should start talking about the speakers and the acoustics. One of the main problems is that most models do not have a resonance box, but the speakers share space with all the internal circuitry, which produces poor dynamic range and channel separation is not very good.

j1mz7.jpg

We can see here the internals of a boombox, where speakers and electronics share the same space and there’s no acoustic resonance box. Photo: Unknown.

But also, the most serious problem (in my opinion) is the serious lack of bass because they are not amplified in the resonance box, so it escapes naturally by the rear vents. Just bring your ear close to them to check it out.

boombox_jvc_m90_02.jpg
    Backside of the JVC M90. Photo: Ewen.​

To compensate, some models have added additional speakers to enhance the bass. One of the clearest examples are many Hitachi models. I had for some years the TRK-3D75E model.

boombox_hitachi_3d75.jpg

I remember when the center speaker is activated, bass was hugely increased. But I also remember to bring the ear back and notice that even deeper bass escaped backwards. The five-band equalizer helped, though. I even got to connect external speakers for surround. However, the sound quality was just decent, but unbalanced.

hitachi-3ds75-surround.jpg
    The Hitachi 3D75 with optional surround speakers.​

By the way, on the sides seems to have two tweeters, but are merely hollow plastic parts, a common practice among many manufacturers and models.

A few years later, one of my sisters bought (on my recommendation) the TRK-3D50E with DES system (Dual Enclosure System), which is supposed to improved acoustics:

boombox_hitachi_3d50.jpg
    The 3D50E, with DES system.​

Actually, it sounded more or less the same, or even worse, although the bass seemed somewhat stronger. I remember that the bass seemed a patch, acoustically speaking.

In the history of radio cassette have been many models with creative ideas, all focused on providing quality sound, like alternative designs with angled speakers:

sanyo_mr-x20_bigben.jpg
    The SANYO BigBen. Courtesy of Retro.​

With speakers pointing upwards:

boombox_panasonic_rx-ed77_24.jpg
    The Panasonic RX-ED77.​

With dual speakers:

snc17487.jpg
    Panasonic (unknown model). Photo: Unknown​

I wonder why the manufacturer would bet dual speakers, instead of putting two-way speakers, which clearly would offer a wider dynamic range. The only thing I can think is that they did it simply to get more volume at the expense of lower bass and treble (in which case, I completely rule it out).

Another strange option has speakers on the sides:

victor_02.jpg
    Victor RV-NB50-W, often called ‘Kaboom’.​

And I ask myself, what are the side speakers for? I imagine they must be to help spread the sound in all directions, for example in situations where you're in outside trips and want to hear the sound from any position, and not only from the front.

But I really doubt that any of them have a really good sound. If ever I had doubts about how it should be a good sound, has always come to my mind an idea very quickly: just look at Hi-Fi component systems, with good 2 or 3-way speakers:

equipo-hifi-aiwa.jpg
    An old HIFI from AIWA (top model in ’86).​

Designs as strange as the above boomboxes are not seen in HIFI, which suggests that they simply do not work as good. Therefore a good boombox should have good acoustically isolated speakers. A good example is in all those portable radios that look like a mini HIFI, like this SANYO, which has a fantastic looking:

boombox_sanyo_mcd-850.jpg
    The SANYO MCD-850F, a very good-looking boombox with a design closer to a small HIFI.​

Although I always preferred a top-level, one-piece designed boombox (a personal taste).

I have seen many "inventions" that claim to offer the same experience that good Hi-Fi boxes, though I imagine the end result was only one wish:

sanyo-wcd950-02.jpg
    The SANYO MCD-950F, the brand’s top model in 1992. It featured an “bass chamber horn system”.​

I heard that model only once in a shop and I remember it was lacking power but the sound quality was not bad at all. However, I find the design excessively ‘organic’ for a music equipment.

Panasonic is a brand that seems to have "hit the mark" with many of its latest boomboxes, as they started from a base design with separate speakers, like the DT75:

boombox_panasonic_dt75.jpg

The problem is that sometimes they tried strange designs, with bizarre speakers like this:

panasonic_1994_catalogue_es_p8.jpg

I've never listened how it sounds, but saw no other newer model has them, so I guess they haven’t been “exactly” a remarkable success...

One model that I like so much is the RX-DS30 (probably my favorite from this brand):

boombox_panasonic_rx-ds30_2.jpg

I really love it, because it’s compact, simple and elegant design. And it has acoustically isolated resonance speakers. Bravo! The only problem is that it may have not high power (just 11W DIN each channel).

In the other side, the DT680 with its 30W certainly does not have power problems is (I assume refers to DIN Watt):

panasonic-rx-dt680-02.jpg
    Panasonic DT680. Photo: mellymelsr from Boomboxery.​

Although speakers are independent, I think the side panels being plain have a problem while using plastic as material, because they will be in resonance, which means that the box will not allow to perform their acoustic function perfectly. A simple variation with curved panels are much more rigid, and therefore have better acoustics (I’m supposing that it doesn’t have internal ribs to make them more rigid). Therefore, no good HIFI speakers are manufactured from plastic, but sturdier materials, such as wood.

In terms of power, there are extremely powerful some models, such as the A2:

panasonic_rx-a2_01.jpg
    The Panasonic RX-A2, a huge boombox that probably sounds great.
    Courtesy of Retro.​

But the portable concept is slightly forgotten here... I would rather say it's a kind of portable discoteque, rather than a boombox.

So... is there no boombox that masterfully combines the best from each technology? I mean: a model that has great power, good speakers and the latest technology?

Well I think so, but only found three models. The first two are the Panasonic RX-DT8 & DT9. Here you can see the last one

panasonic-rx-dt9-10.jpg
    Panasonic RX-DT9.​

A small beast with pretty impressive features, that includes 2-way acoustically isolated speakers, full-logic full control, dual autoreverse deck, XBS, remote, Dolby B&C, and even manual rec level!

panasonic-rx-dt9-32.jpg
    Panasonic RX-DT9, probably the best boombox made by this brand.
    It includes almost every small desirable feature, even from HIFIs.​

panasonic-rx-dt9-11.jpg

Although I do not like the design so much as to my taste, the design is a bit boring. It also looks that the plastic material is one of this matte plastic that easily becomes glossy by using it.

And here comes my absolute favorite. With similar features to that DT9, there’s the magnificient AIWA CSD-SR8 Strasser:

aiwa-strasser-csd-sr8-01.jpg

A beautiful "beast" fitted with a huge set of advanced features, such as full-logic double deck with rotary head and Dolby B&C, 2-way speaker (with a tweeter), completely automatic computerized cd-to-tape recording … All in a very beautiful and elegant design built with a rugged matte, strong plastic material.

aiwa_strasser_csd-sr8_03.jpg

The AIWA Strasser CSD-SR8 represents the pinnacle of the boomboxes, combining a huge number of features, superb acoustic desing, big power and a design that’s closer to a small-factor HIFI than to a boombox.

With DIN 15W per channel and 10.000cc of capacity speakers for an extraordinary resonance, it sounds awesome, really close to a HIFI, but at lower volumes of course. That was the biggest resonance box ever made for a boombox speaker until then (1992). I don’t know if there were later models from other brands with bigger capacities later.

radiocassete_aiwa_csd-sr6_03.jpg

It also features controls for bass and treble (cool!), the serious Super T-Bass system (in my opinion, the best AIWA had, by far), BBE system, bass-reflex ducts, digital tape counters, digital out, line IN, wireless remote, metal tape recording, etc...

aiwa_strasser_csd-sr8_07.jpg

And a spectacular design: understated, sophisticated and elegant at the same time, as I have not seen in almost any other boombox. And all made with a high quality plastic material in matte finish. The perfect combination!

Unfortunately, this model was released only in Japan and it’s very hard to find one outside there, but we can always dream…

I'm lucky that I have just got one after hard search. The good is that I made one of my teen's dream, the bad is that it arrived in a damaged box... with some damage in the boombox itself. with some parts broken :-(
    But I'm repairing it and it looks that I'll sucess. More photos soon!

Thanks to @retro for his collaboration and thanks to those who uploaded photos and scanned brochures that let me use images in this articles. All credits below each photo.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Jorge, bronco, MART - GF9292 and 3 others like this.
  2. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

I especially like those boomboxes around mid 80s before the design start to go down hill similarly to Walkman as well.

3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Oh what a thoroughly enjoyable post, I really enjoyed that. Some great boxes listed and i love that Aiwa Strasser, what it lacks in looks i bet it makes up for in sound.

I prefer the more credible street looks of the 80s blasters but i do have a soft spot for certain 90's models to, i have a DT75 for instance and love it, speakers are fine on it to.

Ha i hope AO doesn't read this, he'll be disgusted ! He's not a lover of eggs.

walkman archive likes this.
  4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Hugo, i have just noticed in this thread you have a pair of sony cd3000 headphones, would you be interested in selling trading them? i have been looking for a pair since birth to replace the ones my mum bought me back in the early 90's

5. walkman archive

Ahh, the CD3000, one of the jewels in my collection indeed. sorry but I don't want to leave them. I save them like gold in seda cloth and just use in special moments. Their sound is absolutely the best of all my headphones, and clearly ahead of my Sennheiser HD-800 (yes, truly).

Radio Raheem likes this.
  6. Radio Raheem

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. walkman archive

Congratulations,

If you got it finally! You will realize how gorgeous is this some of these headphones. But you must be aware that they are so exigent and you will need a truly first class source or you will be disappointed...

Radio Raheem likes this.
  8. T-ster

860 Euros !!!!!!!

9. walkman archive

Ha ha. Well, the HD-800 cost about 2x, and it doesn't sound as good as these...

Radio Raheem likes this.
  10. Radio Raheem

Sorry Hugo it wont let me quote you, i won't be disapointed my friend i had them in the early 90's they cost £300 back then but they sounded fab, there is only one better pair of sony headphones that im after, the sony mdr R10 these cost 3 grand back then but both of these headphones use a similer structure in building, it was bio celilose or something spelt like that
    since then my equipment has gone off the charts, i bet my gear could easily blow a pair of senn hd 800 no problem

yes T star 860 euro, the best i have seen were 50 thousand a one off made by sennhizer:)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Brutus442 likes this.
  11. T-ster

Ha it seems crazy for a pair of phones but then i was just looking at a Chanel handbag this morning for £2800 so....

Brutus442 and Radio Raheem like this.
  12. T-ster

(not for me i should add, it was a friend of mines, i was telling her she was crazy.......)

13. Radio Raheem

were all crazy Tstar lad, i mean people pay over a million for a car, and some collect them haha

the way i see it i have no one and no other interests so what the heck, members are now asking over £1500 for an m90 now to me thats crazy especially when they get them much cheaper, but what can you do, you can't win the war i guess you just join in:)

14. walkman archive

Not sure what you mean with that... The system doesn't let you quote me when replying?

Yup, biocelluloise, and the wood comes from the Aizu Zelkova tree. I still perfectly remember since I read that in the sony catalogues back in the early 90s...

Radio Raheem likes this.
  15. Radio Raheem

Haha i had one of those catalogs hugo, the hole thing was on the R10, sadly i doubt me or you will get a pair, aparently
    there selling for 15k a pair now:eek::)

16. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

That was entertaining, thanks.

BTW, I don't know about that specific model, but the speakers on the sides are probably for low frequencies, which aren't as directional so it doesn't matter which way they point - well, not so much anyway. But I expect you knew that though. Many more modern hifi systems have just a single woofer/sub-woofer that can be placed almost anywhere, though I've noticed with mine that the bass isn't so prominent where I sit, but if I get up and move to the back of the room, it is more pronounced - so it is still somewhat important - much like with bass-reflect ports being a certain distance from the wall behind the speaker. It's more important, for stereo effect anyway (also for tone), for the tweeter and mid-range to point towards the listener.

This is the problem I have with phones these days - almost all of them point the speaker away from the listener, so the treble is pretty poor, and I have to reflect it off something (usually my cupped hand) to improve the tone. There are some that have speakers facing toward the listener, but I'm waiting for one with the other features I'm after too...

17. Patron

Patron Active Member

If the problem is on the acoustics, it tells me that these machines could sound very nice otherwise.

Radio Raheem, hope those are worth the money!!!

18. walkman archive

Yes, they are selling for real get high prices I'm not looking for ones, indeed! :hissyfit:

19. walkman archive

Thanks
    Which one are you referring to?

20. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

The Victor...