1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best vintage walkman headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by richlooker, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

my pm should be there, i sent it 10 mins ago:wink2

2. Radio Raheem

the porta pro have no bass and you said there to bassy lol so again i say forget the links i sent you my friend:wink2

autoreverser likes this.
  3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

4. Radio Raheem

Hey Auto please don't be offended by anything i have said my man, things may have come out the wrong way as usual and you're one of the diamonds around here my friend, i still remember the old days with you and me in the chat room:thumbup::wink2

5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

it's all cool, don't worry matey :thumbsup:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  6. big_brian

big_brian Member

How do u guys rate the Boodo Khan headphones?

7. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Never heard them but everyone I talked to/I've read said/written how mediocre/lowq it is. Not worth geting it
    imho unless you can get it for a cheap price.

8. big_brian

big_brian Member

The only other headphones I've got to compare with are an older pair of Sennheiser - two different types. The Boodo Khan's headphones sounded good though.

9. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Maybe they are not that bad-some say they lack lows and the highs are not that good either. There was a period when the price for them was astronomical.
    I personally never heard anything better than the MDR-62 from the on ear category, I even dare to state that the next level is the MDR-CD3000.

10. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

They sound quite good. Not up to the level of a good, modern ones of a good price, like a Beyerdynamic DT990 or a Sennheiser 280Pro, but close.
    The bass response is weak but with the Boodo player it matches perfectly.
    In fact, the DOL was carefully adjusted for these headphones. Or the headphones for the player, as you prefer. These headphones sound best on a Boodo player.

11. big_brian

big_brian Member

Cool!!! Didn't realize that. I don't know if at my age - I could tell subtle (or not so subtle) performance differences anymore.

12. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Its a good quality headphone probably the best compare to the other walkman headphones, BUT the best headphone is MDR-CD3000 ( Boodokhan headphone is considered a micky mouse compared to CD-3000 (well this was kind of @Radio Raheem comments about a lower quality stuff :lollegs: )

Radio Raheem likes this.
  13. big_brian

big_brian Member

I havent used headphones in many many years. The last pair I had were an old pair of Sennheiser 414's that were black and yellow! I even got new yellow pads off ebay a couple of years ago because the foam dried out and fell apart. I should try and find those - I know they are in a box somewhere in the basement.

14. Radio Raheem

Haha thank you Sir lol, I can honestly say I have never heard the boodoo headphones, I can honestly say they must be better than any other Walkman headphones though.but the cd300o isn't really a Walkman headphone, it sounds 10x better on a good hifi like mine rather than any walkman:wink2

Jorge likes this.
  15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Interesting thread indeed!! Over the years I collected about a dozen headphones, but always bought from the companies specializing in them: Sennheiser, Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic...
    My latest purchase is AudioTechnica "Maestozo": ATH-W1000Z . It sounds sublime even plugged direct into WM-D6 without any h/p amplifier. As with Sennheisers, extra amplification does not hurt at all ;)
    Years ago I read that Keith Jarrett always travels with a suitcase full of hi-end cans, amplifier, player. Not me, for portable use I always compromise, so its great to have a thread on the best match between the phones and the players

16. Radio Raheem

Jorge I'm sure there are many great headphones lad I chose the cd3000 because I had them new years ago (and broke them) within 2 months, yes they are very good but the construction is very poor, only cheap plastic, but there easily as good as my ex grado ps 1000:wink2

17. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Radio Raheem I hear ya!! That is the beauty of Google: once I've learned that my favorite "stick it in" ATH-ESW9 are really flimsy I take extra care not to abuse them. For the backpack Sennheisers HD-25 is my choice: these are unbreakable, even after 20+ years of travels!

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. greg

greg Member

Can you link to the ear cshions you bought? I've had a look around for some like this for MDR-51's and can't seem to locate any the right size. Thx!

19. Middachten

Middachten Member

I don't have any mobile headphone of a relevant vintage anymore so I can only tell from memory.

I had a MDR-51 after a lot of other options and remember that I found it one of the best mobile headphone at that time with the exception of an Yamaha YHD-1 that I had. I also remember however that I found it not even coming close to larger headphones from AKG and Sennheiser at that time.
    Only the Yamaha could keep up quite well. The only issue with the YHD-1 was that it was quite power hungry and didn't go very loud on a walkman. The days of portable headphone amps still had to come...

I have always found the Sony headphones (still today) to be somewhat aggressive in the mid-high region, the MDR-51 was no exception to that. Some might actually interpret it as being a bit shy on bass. Sound signature is always about balance... too present mid or high can result in a low bass experience and vice versa.

Today I'm very happy with my B&W P5 which sounds excellent. It is a bit more dynamic an colourful than precise, unlike my Westone in-ears, but I actually like this for portable use when music easily tends to get a bit lifeless. And it has a retro kind of styling that actually fits very well with a walkman (in particular when it has a leather case ;)

DrZoidberg likes this.
  20. angorawol

angorawol New Member

My Toshiba HR50X sounds even better than my Grado SR125 but's quite heavy.