1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe CD-100: Snow White of Discmans

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Jorge, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Here is the latest addition to my Discmans collection. It must have broke down before its first owner had a chance to put a single scratch or fingerprint on it. My restoration efforts can be found at square-2.com, but the end result is here in all its beauty!

L1110846b.jpg

L1110848b.jpg

L1110854.JPG

L1110856.JPG

L1110862.JPG

L1110867.JPG

L1110872.JPG

L1110871.JPG

L1110869.JPG

L1110880.JPG

L1110891.JPG

L1110889.JPG

The only problem with using it is that I have to buy white gloves first :)

chrispdx, Machaneus and Boodokhan like this.
  2. davebush

davebush Active Member

nice unit....minty too

3. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

It is beautiful ,loved the 3D printed gears, we live in the future ! Congrats !

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

It looks beautiful and minty
    congratulation, great addition to your collection :thumbup:

5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Thank you, guys! This is The Discman I was dreaming about and now that I got it it feels like "mission accomplished"! I have a few "must-have" suspects still missing from my collection: Sony D-555, D-88, Denon DCP-100... but these pop up on eBay onceinawhile. Loewe is an "unobtanium", I could not even dream of getting one in Mint condition (and in White!)
    If/when my neighbor @Boodokhan opens The Retro Museum, this will be my donation "to the cause" o_O
    As I said, I am afraid to play it!!!
    Whats that KC song: "I was looking at it, then not looking for a few days, then looking to make sure its still there"? Thats me these last few days :)

Boodokhan likes this.
  6. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Very Nice Indeed !! Never saw one before! How is the SQ?

7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

This beautiful CD player indeed is a museum item. I have been looking for a place in Santa Monica and recently Westwood (close to UCLA campus). Will update you :wink:

8. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow that looks so good in white. I read the resto thread as well, bravo.

9. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations!!!
    A very very nice unit, and also a must have

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

It sounds pretty good (not that I care, frankly!). I was afraid that it will sound like Sony D-50: all edgy and tiresome after an hour of listening. Funai/Toshiba must have learned from Sony mistake on how to use brickwall digital filter, Loewe sounds almost as good as my fav D-50MkII. Will do more listening next week, right now I am playing with Naim phonostage and also trying to fix Linn Lingo. Lingo does not love me, insists on playing dead :(

11. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that's indeed a jewel.
    Looks very close to the SONY D-50; is it maybe a licensed model?

12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@walkman archive Yes, it looks exactly like a rebranded D-50, thats why I was afraid that it sounds like it! Fortunately it is rebranded Funai Discman and all internals are Toshiba. I have to make a photo of all my heavy weighers original Discmans, maybe tomorrow...
    One thing I realized looking at Loewe is that if Rega had this styling instead of their copyrighted rounded-"plasticky" shape they would have had better success with guys like me. As it was, I went for Naim rig, although 20 years ago Naim was beyond my $$ limits. Maxed all my credit cards then, with Rega it would have been much easier.

13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

L1110992s.jpg

here is the photo of all three "bricks" lined up. Sony D-50 in the center, Loewe CD-100 (rebranded Funai CDP-7600, also sold as Tensai TRD-10) on the Left. Sanyo CP-10 (also sold as Siemens RW721 and Grundig CDP50) on the Right.
    These last few years I've been constantly updating the table of Discmans internal parts, it can be downloaded from here.
    PCDP Table shows that Sanyo/Siemens/Grundig is definitely Sony but Loewe is a copy of Toshibas.

chrispdx likes this.