1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Small Collection ..

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Rob K, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Rob K

Rob K New Member

I'v recently started collecting (around a year or so). My first walkman was a TPS-L2 in the 80's thats long gone..I wish I had known its value back then. When I joined S2g a year or more ago I was reminded of my the ones I had owned..Sony, Sanyo, UNISEF etc....little did I realize until now how collectible they are now. My first recent buy was a Mint Sony WM-D3 that I acquired but had a center gear problem so its out for repair with Dr.Walkman. I keep an eye out for brand new boxed or Mint units - try to avoid used ones
    and this is what I have for now.

I would say the rarest one out of the lot is the Panasonic Way RQ-J20X. The Sony WM-3 is the closest to the TPS-L2 that I had and is one of my favorite! For sound quality nothing beats DAT and the 2 unites of the Sony TCD-D8 are great. I was also lucky in finding a boxed Marantz PMD430 another excellent piece of equipment!

All what you see here is boxed with no accessories missing..I hope to grow my collection luck and finance permitting...

DSC_0067.JPG DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0069.JPG

Attached Files:

Elite-ist likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Blimey, all boxed and beautiful. So nice to see them all with packaging. Don't forget though, use em or lose em, they last better used occasionally.

Stunning start to a collection.

3. Rob K

Rob K New Member

Thank you. Yes I realize that and I do occasionally power them up and let them roll without a tape. I have other units I use on a regular basis for music...love vinyl..but thats another story!! I guess analog is what is!! Thank you for viewing!

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Good good. Well they are all gorgeous. I still find it mind blowing to see something like the WM2 untouched by time and looking so fresh. I can almost pretend it is 1986 again. If only.

Love the Marantz to, i spent months bidding on descent ones of these but always missed out. Have just bought a Sony TC-DM so fingers crossed that works out.

5. Rob K

Rob K New Member

T-Ster: The Marantz is absolutely great. I did see a few on Ebay later on ..a nearly new unit but the price was pretty steep. I was very lucky to get this unit locally from some who did not know its worth..nice thing was that it was sealed in the original box!
    I suppose you are referring to the Sony TC-D5m?!! I would love to get my hands on one too. I wish you luck in your purchase!

Even though Sony sold 220 million+ of the WM2, even I was surprised to find one in the box and minty..serial numbers matching and all!! When I was younger I lusted after this model..never had the money and by the tine I could afford it I moved on to other models. As a student I really worked hard to buy good audio (what I could afford)! I remeber all my Cassette tapes were Type II or Type IV as I was very particular of my recordings and quality. Somewhere down the line I moved countries got caught up in the rat race and had no time for this..until now!! I just wanted to share something else with you with you (since you are from England)..one of my last buys when I was at University was a Sony MZR-30 MD Recorder. I was absolutely fascinated by the technology! I remember going to Dixons and paying something like 250 quid for this unit. When I moved I threw the box away regrettably and brought the player with me. Had the box been there I could have easily claim it was brand new..such is the shape of the unit! It was one heck of a purchase and I saved for weeks to buy it!! Here is the pic and I could not resist including my old Nokia Communicator 9000i purchased around the same time on contract (could never afford an outright buy as it was 1000 GBP)...Man! Was I crazy about all this stuff and scraping and saving .. and the real joy when I got them! Miss those moments!

I also had one of my first Discmans..good too! But again CD's sounded too "clinically pure"...never had the depth the analog has..thats another story!! Video killed the Radio star! ;)
    20171012_162315.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Great collection indeed!
    You have good taste and excellent units in great shape, boxed too. Congrats.
    The J20x is indeed very rare. I have one identical and boxed too, truly rare unit. Sadly, it doesn't sound as good as it looks.
    The PMD-430 will let you do great recordings if you learn how to use the bias properly.
    Thanks for sharing.

7. Rob K

Rob K New Member

So you got a boxed Panasonic Way RQ-J20X!! Thats makes 2 of us having a boxed unit. Wonder how many more are there boxed? Do you happen to have the service manual for the J20X? Not that I need to service my unit but I always like to keep service manuals for the units I buy in case the need ever arises.

Thanks,
    Rob

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

@Rob K , YOu got excellent items.
    Marantz PMD-430, WM-2 and WM-3 and the RQ-J20X are the best of your collection

9. walkman archive

Yes, it's one of the rarest units in my collection. Not sure if I have it because my desktop computer is broken now and it's there. While I'm trying to fix it cannot check.
    Anyway, I took it to @Sergi to repair (it didn't work) and I guess he has it... Does yours sound? How, then? Mine doesn't sound very good... I'm surprised about the not-very-good sound quality that it has.

10. Rob K

Rob K New Member

Hugo..actually mine sounds very well..there is some noticeable wow/flutter only if you shake the unit..very very slight..but that is because the belt has probably degraded or loosened with time. It was never opened or repaired. It works great for something that old. I did find some links to the service manual online. If I get my hands on it I'll share it if you want.

11. Rob K

Rob K New Member

Thanks you... I hope to grow my collection in time...if possible

12. walkman archive

You have been lucky, Rob. Mine had the flexible pcb partially broken and needed a though restoration :-(

13. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Wow, incredible collection! I feel like I shy away from boxed items since I'm so klutzy and tend to drop, scratch, break things. I love Marantz and seeing a PMD in the box is too cool. Except for the belts, most of this stuff seems to last forever, unlike my Fords.

14. Rob K

Rob K New Member

I guess eventually everything needs to be serviced. I am thinking of ordering spare belts for my units as they eventually will probably need replacements. I store my stuff in hermetically sealed boxes with silica gel to protect from moisture.

15. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I lucked out and got a huge box of belts off ebay a few years ago. Looked like a store was clearing out their repair section. I've posted a website that seems to have a million belts on it and cross-reference information but I'm not sure if I posted it after the updates.

16. Rob K

Rob K New Member

Can you please provide a link? Would be interested in belts. Thanks