1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice plz.

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Antoni, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

I am looking to buy a cassette tape player but, don't know enough about them.
    Currently I have my eye on a Akai GX32 for $50 cnd.
    Would this be a good option for recording from cd to tape?

Thank you.

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

HI Antoni
    Its very important to mention your budget. I do not have any experience with Akai GX32 but sounds like a regular 2 head cassette deck. If your budget is higher there will be more and better options.

Jorge and Antoni like this.
  3. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

Thank you.

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

If uncertain, go for Nakamichi deck. just a few months ago I sold Nak CR-2A re-belted and calibrated for $100.
    11.jpg
    If you can stretch your budget, then Go Nak!!!

Antoni likes this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nakamichi Decks are really nice, some of the best but a lot of them are still in the stratosphere price-wise. I think even their lower-end decks are still better than most out there. Personally I've got a bunch of mid to high level decks and rotate them until the belts break. I find most of them to be fairly similar when taken care of and kept clean. The two that always seem to do the most rack time are an Onkyo R1 Series TA-TW404 and a JVC KD-A33. The Onkyo is a dual deck underachiever, mostly overlooked for other models. I really like the way this one works and sounds including the killer LED readout. These are still bargain basement pricing and I don't have to worry if they get played with. The JVC Tape Decks also seem to be underachievers but back in the old days they were always thought of highly. My KD-A33 has always performed nicely and the analog meters are really cool on a tape deck. With an exception of a Nakamichi, all of my decks were found in the wild, usually for $10 USD or under.

Belts will be your biggest issue, it might work great for a day or two and then quit. Some of the bigger, older units like Sansui SC-1110 and Marantz 5110B would be easier to service, most of the cabinet is air space, and they are still fairly reasonable for now.

Here's a link to Vinyl Factory's "8 Best Tape Decks For Home Listening"

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/the-8-best-tape-decks-for-home-listening/