1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Electric Monster Mini

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Mister X, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I could sense something special with this unit, a General Electric 3-5226A. I love the mini boxes, even a unibox is cool and this is no exception. I've never seen one up close before so I took a chance with the BIN option and found my new favorite unit.

Just a hair bigger than some of the old clunky walkmans, I'd date this around 1981 but I don't know for sure. The build quality is top-notch and has a Sanyo Feel to it. Most of the surfaces are metal cladding and all the buttons and dials have a real quality feel to them. The Cyclops level indicator is cool, I believe it varies in brightness depending on what you are monitoring but it's easy to confuse it with a stereo indicator (this unit is mono)

I have to think that it was pretty cool to be able to directly record the radio to tape but without a manual I don't know if it records in stereo. The belts will need to be done and I might bump it up in order since it's so cool. I've only got a few General Electric Boxes but they all seem to be a little better than normal.

DSCN0488SM.jpg

Matias, Risingsunproject and Brandon like this.
  2. Ball000

Ball000 Member

I think the record head could give you a clue. And is there a headphones output? If so I'd find logical that the stereo-recording ability was related to the "stereo-ness" of the output when listening to FM.

Very nice little unit indeed, I love that you say that it's just a hair bigger than a clunky walkman.

3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Very nice, good that you say it has a Sanyo feel as it is a Sanyo aka, M1700 i think..

4. Mister X

Wow, you nailed it T-ster! I just googled that model and a ton of Sanyo Photos popped up. When I said clunky walkman, I had an Panasonic RQ-J6 in my hand, kind of a bigger personal cassette player. I didn't mean to disparage Walkmans....

5. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

I've got two of them Sanyos --one in red, so cute -- and I can testify that these minuscule fella can deliver a punch. They sound loud and clear. First time I see a rebranded version (General Electric, wow!). Great score

6. Mister X

I'm equally surprised at the big sound coming out of the little speaker, any idea of the year of manufacture?

7. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Yep I've got the Sanyo version too :)

8. Mister X

According to the HIFIengine Website, it looks like a 1981 model with a blistering 1.6 watts of power! The catalog is in German so I can't translate more than that.

164d5a8491e77046b241cc6717bdce85--boombox-radio.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Matias likes this.
  9. Patron

Patron Active Member

Very nice little recorders .

10. Mister X

Thanks Patron! I took a gamble on it just cuz it was cute and small. Turns out these little units are beefy and sound decent for what they are. I just bought another similar brand, can't wait til it gets here....

11. Matias

Matias New Member

Jameswp67 and Mister X like this.
  12. Mister X

Thanks Matias, I picked up two more of that series, just little beasts, it's surpising how heavy they are, which I like. I'll have to update this thread with some more photos.