1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Indonesia!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by stuck-in-time, Nov 23, 2017.

1. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Hi! Anyone else from Indonesia here?

I'm probably on the younger side of the age range here, since I'm not doing my final year in college. I don't know why, but since I was little I've been fascinated by anything vintage, electronic, & mechanical. And I started collecting all sorts of things. Being my age, I didn't get to experience of the analog era, but did get my small share of making mixtapes, although by the time I was really starting to listen to music in my teens, it was mostly MP3s.

I never really left the cassette world, though. It was like an on-and-off hobby that just recently was suddenly brought back to full force. For the last couple of years, walkmans have fascinated me so much, and I got more serious in collecting them and researching their history. I just love their designs and am fascinated with the amazing engineering that goes inside this little boxes that fits in the palm of your hands.

I'm currently studying graphic design, and looking at the amazing designs of these walkmans and sites like The Walkman Archive actually inspired me to make my own! I'd be very happy if anyone would be interested to visit it :) Here's the link:

Dengarkanlah!

I named the site "Dengarkanlah!" which means "Listen!" in Indonesian. It displays my entire collection, but it's not actually done yet, but, since Im currently very busy with my final year projects and such, I don't think it'll be finished quickly enough. I'm setting myself a very high quality standard, and can only do it little by little in my spare time, but I hope you'll enjoy the illustrations!

PS. As of now, only the TPS-L2 is clickable to it's own half-finished page. But it's presentable enough I think.

2. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Hello! I love your website design. Do you own all these?

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nice story! :thumbsup: Welcome to S2G! :wavey:

4. stuck-in-time

Glad you liked it!

Yup. Being in my country have its pros and cons. There isn't much in the market in terms of the higher end and more vintage stuff, but the market itself isn't as large or "advanced", so I was able to secure most of these at relatively cheap prices. As an example, TPS-L2s are struggling to get buyers here at $ 100, and I myself bought mine at under 20.

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

wow that is really low! Are they in good condition generally? Over here the prices are absurd and don’t even play. unless you really spend time at car boot sales it’s hard to find any bargains

6. stuck-in-time

Hmm... It varies quite a lot, but generally they're working but not in perfect working order. Mine are advertised as "not working" but all they need is a simple belt change. I'd say the average going rate would be around $ 50-75. It's just that most of the buyers here aren't serious collectors.

7. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go

8. A O

A O Active Member

Hello, this is very interesting, you clearly have a passion.

Your homepage looks a bit like a virus warning. Looks a bit terrifying for us who don't speak Indonesian.

I really like your illustrations, they iconic, sort of like the boomboxes you see on the 'no music' signs on the subway.

9. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Lovely website and design! Saved to favorites and waiting for more content!
    Welcome here.

10. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Very nice site, i'm just gonna enjoy a fine whisky and have a good browse.

An interesting side note, I received a bag of cassettes today from and old chap, he bought them all whilst living in Indonesia and a few whilst in the middle east.

11. stuck-in-time

Oh my! Never thought of it that way :hmmm Will probably think about changer I can make...

Other than that, Thank you! I'm very very happy that people are enjoying it! Takes quite long tp dp those illustrations, since I want them to be perfect. I usually retrace logos and fonts I can't find online.

As for updates, for the time being it's probably gonna be just more illustrations. As you can see, there are a lot of blank spaces. My camera's getting fixed, so I can't take decent pics to upload.

12. stuck-in-time

That's quite interesting! Pre-recorded stuff, right? How old are the cassettes? Comparing old Indonesian releases and what I found online about stuff from the US our Europe, it makes it look like most of the Indonesian pre-recorded stuff look like pirate lables. I think they're mostly recorded on Maxell or BASF C60s.

13. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice website! It looks like it has a ton of potential.

14. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent job @stuck-in-time in designing your site. Please continue. I will be following your progress

15. T-ster

Yeah they are kinda cool, all come in heat proof cases to which is neat. You are right tho they do look kinda bootleg and are on mixed brands of cassettes. I can get some pics if you like.

16. T-ster

17. stuck-in-time

Ah... They're newer than I expected. Never did like those cases though. Bulky and less durable.