1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX 505E and ZX9 Running in.

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by James Tervit, Jan 5, 2018.

1. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Hi All,

Running in and testing my RX505E which is being used as a source playing out an original 80's Madonna Ferro tape and it sounds brilliant, the ZX9 is recording using Nakamichi C90 reference metal tape and my Sony DAT has the normal Zonal 124 tape, both recording simultaneously to see which one sounds to my liking, I love archiving and saving old tape.

Hope you all like it.

Cassette, playlist and info below.

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-You-Can-Dance/release/301288

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    walkman archive, delamostre and Jorge like this.
  2. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

A pleasure watching it all in action, James. And some people detest pre-recorded cassettes. Did I notice the playback of the pre-recorded Madonna on the RX-505E was without Dolby B engaged?

Nando.

James Tervit likes this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

The Stack..., and the video is sooo good, it hurts!!! No shaky hands, no stupid voice over, just facts, Love It!!! Old-Skool dude you are!!! Wish I could hire you as a partner o_O

James Tervit likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

What I feel sorry for is the kid that doesn't have all the tactile and visual responses to the music. The fact that your checking out the quality of different recording mediums says it all and it's getting me inspired. My big system has been sitting dormant for a while but it's time to dust it off and start playing with it, it looks really lonely over there in the corner, even though it takes up a good chunk of the room. I used to have a lot of fun running music through the computer looking at the waveforms and doing odd recordings. Pre-recorded cassettes are the fashizzle, I bust out old Megadeth, throw it in a big box and the guys go nuts (they also think I'm crazy).

James Tervit likes this.
  5. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Hi Nando, yes I hardly ever engage Dolby, I don't feel there is a need, I have compared the old cassette with the Tidal release, apart from the remixes being different, the cassette has more bass on the recording. I am so happy I kept all my old cassettes.

Jorge likes this.
  6. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Thanks Jorge, I like the kit to talk more than my stupid voice. I will record a quality recording and post it mate, it sounds incredible. The Nakamichis are the best for these 80's cassettes.

7. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Just a small review on the DAT and ZX9. The Sony DAT is quieter and sounds more relaxed, with my amp I can easily compensate with a slight nudge on the volume, sounds clean and very good.

The ZX9 has a much higher recording level at +8-9DB on the Nakamichi Reference tape, It gives these 80's tapes that Synthesiser sound that they were designed for, this period was the golden days of CD and I remember the Simple Minds release of Live In The City Of Light released on Cd which blew my mind and sounded so much better compared to my low end turntable.

What do I like best, I like the DAT for its relaxed sound which allows me to transfer it to almost anything and I love the authenticity of the ZX9 just beautiful.

I can guarantee that on a blind test nobody would think my recording transfer came from a 37 year old Ferro cassette, source is the key in every sense.

8. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Awesome, you have absolutely made my day, we should all get inspired with our gear and the lesson I have learned is this, if someone tells me that his Ferro sounds fantastic but the vinyl is crap and I have a different take, its all about the massive amount of variables in all our gear and a lot of people forget that different releases were engineered for different types of equipment to appeal to the masses.

Just recently someone tried to compare their system with mine and I was like PLEASE just don't, its what you have and what you hear that I want to read or view, comparing my gear is better than your gear is not the way to go about this hobby, swinging big dicks is just a waste of time and we don't really learn anything.

I will look forward to you posting your gear and recordings, I am always open to everyone's take on how they hear stuff, it inspires me no end.

9. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Hi Jorge, here is a better recording, good to compare the mic as well as the input on my camera..

Jorge likes this.
  10. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Beautifuuul!!

11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Looks like an ad for Nakamichi!! I am drooling all over... shoot!! Upgraditis strikes back, dunno how long I will keep my strength. The Boss and kids will help, they are good at keeping my hobbies/obsessions within budget...
    Sounds pretty nice too, my iPhone never sounded this good! ;)
    Cassettes were out of focus (camera got fixated on your Nak, I do not blame her:)) so a bit of voice-over is needed...

12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

James Tervit and Cassette2go like this.
  13. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

I had ten or was it ( Nine Mono boombox 4x Victor 5x JVC RC 550 & Boombox9 ) IMG_2071 4 Victor 5 JVC RC 550 Boombox9.JPG
    It was only Nine but looks like Ten.

James Tervit and Jorge like this.
  14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Boy! You are Cruel!!!
    But that is why I have to say a quick prayer before reading your posts :)

Boodokhan and Cassette2go like this.
  15. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

My lumbago!
    384_allgummedup_still_410425.jpg

16. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

The tape was an original Madonna remix from the 80's and I transferred it from the RX505E to the ZX9 using Nakamichi Reference tape (Metal Type IV) I forgot I had used a fixed focus on my lense to stop it from pulsing.

17. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Hi Jorge, thanks your too kind, I love making videos with the kit, I always try to get that cinematic feel to them, I am as you rightly mentioned an old school fella lol

18. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

wow look at that lot, I had a big boombox back in the 80's and they were awesome for taking to the park on a sunny sunday to get over the weekend blues.... awesome photo..