1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100V converter

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Boodokhan, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I need a converter for 100V, 45 W for this Cd/MD boombox.
    This boombox is one of the best deceive I have ever seen and took me a year to find it, so I wanna be careful with its power supply.
    Can somebody recommend me the right converter from 110v to 100v?
    Thanks

876CA936-83A4-400E-8B10-CFC2268D935E.jpeg 841B608D-810E-49C7-A73D-0305695B667E.jpeg

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I would just stick it into 110V and hope for the best...
    To be on the safe side, try this 110V-100V but check the output voltage first, if this bbox is valuable it is better to double-check on our Comrads!

3. Boodokhan

Thanks Jorge
    Ordered for now
    And the box is very valuable to me since it is hard to find

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

It looks interesting, what year is it? Is this the Daddy for Tivoli Radio and Nakamichi lo-fi "lifestyle" designs?

5. Boodokhan

I am not sure what year it was built. Its design is really beautiful.
    I have this problem of recording minidiscs and did some research to find a component to record CD on a minidisc and found several companies making such a device. None of those designs are as beautiful as this one. And as i mentioned it took almost a year to find one mint with original box. Anyway, I have some Japanese boomboxes (made for japan's domestic market) and all of them are 100 V, nothing happens when i use 110V here but for this AIWA CD/MD boombox i am somehow more careful

Jorge likes this.
  6. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Search for "step-down voltage converter"

Boodokhan likes this.
  7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Well that didn't take much searching - 2001

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Aiwa_CSD-NS5MD.html

I presume this is mains only and more in the mini-Hi_fi category than a boombox.
    Glad that Boodokhan finally got the recorder he was looking for.

p.s. Looking at the same site I have just found that the JVC which is often seen in the UK included a cassette deck in other countries. The user manual confirms it.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_JVC_UX-A70MD.html

I had often wondered if there was a unit with both Cassette and MD. That really does cover all bases.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Boodokhan and Jorge like this.
  8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I do not have any MD in my collection, so I am not going to start now. But now that you "showed me the Light" I will start looking for something like this Aiwa but with cassette or cassette/CD to play outside... Any tips? ;)
    These last few weeks I am streaming Tidal in HiFi thru my Wadia DAC. Finally got an excuse to use my Nak LX-3 and record something onto MetalMaster and UX-Pro cassettes! Started with White Hills and Pontiak, as recommended by @autoreverser :) Awesome tunes!!! :rolleyes:

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

My buddy in Japan did the same thing to me, he gave me a Denon DMD M10, it was a Toyko "curb find." (posted in MD players below) He really did get it on the curb, the whole system actually was out for trash, he said the Japanese really like the latest and greatest, unless it's a fad then they buy the old stuff. The back says it's rated to 100v @ 14w 50/60HZ. I said I'll blow it up if I plug it in here in the US. He explained that Japan has two electrical grids and the units have something like 15% leeway on the voltage to accommodate the fluctuations.

Anyway I plugged it in (these go for $200-400 on ebay) and it works fine.

Hopefully this helps! Here's some info on Wikipedia...

National grid[edit]
    Unlike most other industrial countries, Japan doesn't have a single national grid but instead has separate eastern and western grids. The standard voltage at power outlets is 100 V, but the grids operate at different frequencies: 50 Hz in Eastern Japan and 60 Hz in Western Japan.[26] The grids are connected together by 3 frequency converter stations (Higashi-Shimizu, Shin Shinano and Sakuma), but these can only handle 1 GW.[27] A converter station also exists at Minami-Fukumitsu. The 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami resulted in 11 reactors being taken offline with a loss of 9.7GW.[27] The 3 converter stations did not have the capacity to transfer enough power from Japan's western power grid to significantly help the eastern grid.

The two grids were originally developed by separate companies. Tokyo Electric Light Co was established in 1883 which also established electric power in Japan. In 1885 demand had grown enough that TELCO bought generation equipment from AEG of Germany.[27] The same happened in the western parts of Japan with General Electric being the supplier to Osaka Electric Lamp.[27] GE's equipment used the US standard 60 Hz while AEG's equipment used the European standard of 50 Hz.[27]

Jorge, Boodokhan and Ball000 like this.
  10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Cool info!

11. Boodokhan

I have some extra minidisc players that you can have them. I can give you maybe 2 or 3 minidisc walkman. let me know if you like to have them. I can also include an album for you to listen. Just to warn you these are not high end players but work just fine.

Jorge likes this.
  12. Boodokhan

Thanks for all these great info
    For now i ordered couple of step down converter to try this boombox/ hifi component. I would like to find another AIWA CSD-NS5MD as a back up unit. Once i find the 2nd unit will connect it directly to 110 V outlet.

13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Cool, Thanks!!! Truth be told, I never had a MD in my life: first they were too expensive, then I was too busy with career'n'stuff, and then CDR came along...

14. Mister X

Boodokhan likes this.
  15. Boodokhan

great
    I also have some extra cassette deck (non-working) that require TLC. One of them (Denon) still in the box looks almost new but Its out of my expertise to repair it. If you like to have a busy winter spending time repairing these stuff i can send them to you as well. I can send you pictures to see whether or not you like them or I can donate them to local goodwill.

16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Boodokhan How can I refuse?!? No need to thank me, I will take 'em off your hands, no problem at all ;):)o_O
    Seriously though: once re-belted and calibrated (hopefully Marrs Communications have belts for your model) I will post this deck for sale and donate all $$ to S2G.
    Have to finish my article on CD pressing quality first, this will be a Bomb!!! A bit misplaced since everybody moved onto HDD, streaming, or analog... but a Bomb nevertheless! :cool:

17. Boodokhan

PM sent

18. Mister X

Not to throw a wrench in the works Boodokhan, but I was talking to my buddy again about the voltage and some of this nice expensive vintage equipment a couple days ago. He kind of back-tracked and said to use a voltage converter if you want to be "sure." He's a music guy that also loves the equipment and my JDM MD player is working fine without a converter but some of these electronics go to places around Japan with electrical systems that aren't consistent, so I have to believe they can accept some voltage fluctuations.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Boodokhan likes this.
  19. Boodokhan

20. Mister X

I grabbed the same unit, thanks for the heads up!

Boodokhan likes this.