1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your home setup

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Dec 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

Thank you Nando. Yes, the hinge is a common problem and a bad design to have a hinged cover where you would naturally put your hand to lift an object so heavy!
    I had reached out thru audiokarma and other such places, even tried a local 3D shop.
    I look forward to hearing about your inquiry.
    Thanks
    Nick

2. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Hi All,
    I finally got through reviewing all the posts, great systems. My system took me a lot of sweat blood and guts over 9 years to get it to this point. I have collected vinyl and tapes since I was 14 years old, 38 years of collecting and packing, storing, I have no idea where all the time has gone.

My B710 MKIII -

Pioneer RT 909 -

Studer A807 -

Omnitronic Sound Analyser with DB200 Decibel meter -

Sony Minidisc player -

B77 2 Track at 15ips NAB -

SME 20/3a Turntable with Ortofon Cadenza Black -

I just joined the forum today and enjoying all the systems everyone is posting. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

ciclosysombras likes this.
  3. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Nice setup James Tervit.

Love the Lalo Schifrin – Enter the Dragon sound track, I am a Lalo Schifrin fan. I am now digging out the Enter the Dragon sound track out on vinyl to have a listen, I have not played that album in a long time.

4. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

That's one very cool album, the recording was done by a friend in Florida and he sent it to me, we exchange recordings which is more fun than trolling ebay... Have fun listening to it, you will have forgotten just how cool it still sounds.

5. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the quality videos, James. Very nice gear in well-maintained and excellent condition. My observation is you like a number of music genres. That's wonderful. At one time, I was a bit tepid about getting into jazz, alternative rock, or even classical. But, that has all changed since I have been involved in a number of mix tape, mix-MD, and Travelling Tape/MD exchanges with friends. It sure opened my ears to a lot of great music out there, new and old.

Nando.

James Tervit likes this.
  6. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Wow just been listening to Enter the Dragon sound track, forgotten how good this album was. I enjoy side 2 of the LP more. The depth of the image is amazing and the fact that my system also gives me height as well as width is just out of this world. I enjoyed it so much that I was visualising the film as i listened, I will have to dig out the DVD and watch it over this Christmas break.

James Tervit likes this.
  7. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Hi Nando, Firstly thanks for the nice comments on all my retro gear, I have painstakingly got it all back to being mint condition.

Yes recently over the last few years I have opened up to jazz appreciating that all the old stuff has had a bigger influence on modern music than I had realised.

Like all the other enthusiasts that have posted here, I really appreciate what I have and just recently I was surprised at how good uncompressed DAT PCM at 48khz really sounds.

I have searched for a decent forum as Facebook produces fly by enthusiasts with big ego opinions as opposed to experience with building systems, I am really loving this forum, it appears to be very well run and has attracted decent people in our hobby.

All the best.

8. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

James: Many classic rock and progressive rock bands have/had individuals who were schooled in classical, blues, or jazz music. I got into DAT a few years back, but never devoted much time with the format. Lots of studio recordings were done on DAT. I have a few of those studio recordings. Yes, it's a very good format, but the hardware is the only Achilles Heel. I see you have a very good DAT recorder. I use a Tascam DA-30.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree, dedicated forums are the place to be. I don't have a FB account, but I borrow my wife's. I do belong to a few audio-related FB groups and if I do contribute it is to dispel some misinformation.

Nando.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    nickeccles and James Tervit like this.
  9. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

what a beautiful deck, everything I throw at my Sony ES 1000 and it just performs, I am transferring all my 7.5ips 4 track and they sound perfect to me. if you ever want to trade tapes, let me know..

10. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for those nice videos. You have a quite wonderful setup at home! I see you have special love for Revox machines...
    I have the B215 and the same RT909 and I love them , specially the latter. I'm a fan of those blue fluoroscan displays.

11. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I'm not very much into digital tapes (nor DAT, nor DCC) but some of their players/decks look very cool. I've never seen a DAT deck from Tascam; I see they kept well the analog look with those silver knobs.

12. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

I was the very same, but this Sony ES1000 sounds better than my Revox and when I record my cassettes from my Revox or Nakamichi they sound amazing with a wider sound. I had forgotten just how good this format was and still is. I will post a 7.5ips transfer on here soon..

13. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

I just love Revox and Pioneer and now Sony on DAT hahaha I am at the point where I am starting to just love my music now. I will have a mint Revox B710 up for sale, its just going through a massive overhaul and recapping.

14. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Holy crap does Enter The Dragon sound good James Tervit.... I'm just going through an Asus Essence STX to Kenwood KA-5700 to old Klipsch Heresy's for my desktop system and it sound great! I'm a huge fan of soundtracks and have a ton of them. While the guys on the hockey team don't know the music they've started to like the Alex Puddu Music I crank on the boombox between periods.

James Tervit likes this.
  15. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Wonderful stuff mate and what a great setup you have, we are all so lucky to be able to share quality copies of our gear. I would recommend the movie soundtrack on Recorded vinyl, it is one brilliant piece of work... Its great that all the generation behind me are opening up, you guys have so much stuff available it must so overwhelming.

Mister X likes this.
  16. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

ah, a revox 710 mk2. perhaps the studer xlr version is the better one.the studer a710 is the best deck of all time? tandberg 910 comes close? for it's money, telefunken m15 is a better r2r than a 807. studer a80 is a good one, prefer telefunken m15 but that's personal. studer a820 is next level, also it's price.
    sony DAT, go for pro. the 7010 or latest model i think 7040. i don't know which one has the best chip.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  17. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

The Revox B710 and A710 have only one difference, the A710 has XLR input for recording and side by side there was no difference to me, obviously the A710 is a better choice for a studio config given cable lengths. My A807 has been fully overhauled, given that the M15 and 807 are entirely different machines from different periods in time, its hard to compare, although both do give great sound. I tend to stick with studio type gear.

18. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

@james
    to me, there is a big difference between xlr and rca. it's the placement of the instruments/vocals. to me xlr is superiour to RCA. that's why i would choose the studer.
    i don't know about the a807 it's semi-pro, it's not studio gear. studer a80,a820/7 are. also the m15/20. there is a reason why studer bought the telefunken R2R group. perhaps it was superiour to the a80, as the telefunken was THE standard across all europe for all radio stations. studer a820/a827 is another level, also it's price. i do think studer used technologies from the telefunken R2R to get to this new level R2R of a820/827.

19. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Please could some one tell me why I am not authorised to look at these video /media links .Thanks

20. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Philip Taylor, I have to switch browsers to see the videos, you might have to go into your browsers settings and enable videos.