1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Was Your Best Find Of 2016?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by nickeccles, Dec 24, 2016.

1. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

For me??

Pretty easy answer for me............

You all know I found one, been showing her off enough the last month or so :)

These machines are amazing - I remember 1982 for many reasons & this is one of them!

Way out of my affordability bracket then & wanted to own one so badly - Just one guy I knew had one & it was king without question! We all had a boombox then, it's not until you look back on your life that you realise that these things were mandatory I remember all us lads meeting up at an 'older lady's' residence on a less than desirable area :p (She had a bit of a rep for 'younger men' lol) We would all lounge around the house with our stereo's, it was just so normal - we would compare them of course - I had a Triumph SRR-5000 from curry's & it was pretty good for it's time!! But the king was this guys Philips, it tackled whatever we threw at it effortlessly & my memories of that time are still very vivid (Some of us were 'attended to' by that lady too) Bonus ;)

Funny how when you have a stereo from your distant past, the memories flood back, I remember it all like yesterday - wish I could go back just for a week!

I never ever expected to find one in 2016 that wasn't knackered so it made my year getting this one :)
    & the bass?? Just extraordinary for something that doesn't look like it could pump like it does!! I like how you can turn the bass way up & it just delivers :) My fav boombox now alongside my M9996!!

What was your 2016 find??

Brutus442, Radio Raheem and Ω SK-95 like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

To go with the all the details you have given I think this would be a more appropriate song.

Happy Christmas Nick and your other half who's real name is never revealed

Ω SK-95 and nickeccles like this.
  3. nickeccles

Lol! Love that song :)

Julie is her name!

Ω SK-95 and Longman like this.
  4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

my sony cd3000 headphones were my best find this year Nick, wanted a pair for over 20 years.

comming back down to earth, the aiwa 880 is my best box this year from member Docs at a very fair price, followed by my aiwa tpr 950 for free off member Nickfish when he came over to pick up some bits.

happy exmas Nick lad, keep on rocking my friend:)

Brutus442, nickeccles and Ω SK-95 like this.
  5. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

I finally got a Pioneer Sk-95... from two that I got from Argentina (both shipped together), the Tech made a beautifully working one, and it's also in fantastic shape... then the Tech had to crack the display window... what a downer!! :yousuck: :hissyfit::smileymad: . Then again the other previous Tech I dealt with, totally destroyed my PC-55 that I originally bought by saving my money and selling my original SK-95 to one of my friends back in 1982/83 :smileymad: :yousuck:... where's that Tony Montana gremlin when you need him?!... but then I got lucky and a nice fellow from Leamington sold me his mint Black PC-550, so that soothed things!! :banana:.
    In the end with all the other items I picked up along the way, it was a most self rewarding year for me. Many boxes that decades ago (wow!) were nothing but a dream, now I've got a few of them and so many nice tapes! I even got some MA-R's !!!Some of them gold foil Maxell's and those old style TDK SA-90's. I also picked up some stereo components, two from the Pioneer champagne series... it was a good year!! I hope 2017 is a at least just half as good as 2016 not only for me but for all of you!! Merry Christmas and you all have a tremendous Happy and prosperous New Year!! :cheers::hungry::moonwalk:

6. superlew

superlew Member

I only picked up 3 this year:

An International SRC-2015A (20/20), which I got complete but in pieces as a trade for helping another collector with a restoration. I do really like it and I'm super-pleased with the end result.
    2020BeforeAfter.jpg

I also got a 'Funken HiFi Studio 1M, which I had wanted for a long time after hearing it. I got it through a trade and played with it for a couple of months before I decided to open it up for a resto. Turned out someone had already been in it and performed some sub-par repairs, so it's in the resto cue and I'm hoping to have it up to collector's standard in the next few weeks/months (vague, I know).
    20160814_215312.jpg

But I think my favorite score was from my sister-in-law. It's no "money" box, but I love that she found it in the wild - a friend of hers was cleaning out a storage unit in NH and found it. Knowing I was a collector, he texted her a pic to forward to me, and the rest is history. I had just returned from a long trip to FL and my brother dropped it off the day I returned to MA. About 3 days later I had it looking and working like new (gotta love working on Panny's/Nationals). It was my "carry" box all summer. Panasonic RX-5280.
    20160716_133203.jpg

Had the funky 'Funken been perfect, it would have taken the top spot. But the Panny won out, based on the circumstances of the find and physical condition.

Here's one more gratuitous pic :) :
    20160604_131014.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  7. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Panny is cool! :)

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  8. nickeccles

International & Panny both nice - International looks a bit Crown 950 to me........

9. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

That International turned out spectacular! Wow!! The Funken is always amazing! Great, Great Amazing Boxes! Good work, keep it up!!

Brutus442 likes this.
  10. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

That 20/20 looks mint .

11. Patron

Patron Active Member

The mail man just dropped off my 88o will doc the cleaning and resto.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  12. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Not really a find but my best moment was when my 920 arrived from Rudey, my wife called me at work to say it was here and like a child I was willing the rest of the day to hurry up and pass. I chipped off an hour early in the end.

That child like excitement was a special day for me. Now just to get the bloody thing working!

Brutus442, nickeccles and samovar like this.
  13. Radio Raheem

Let docs work his magic Tstar or even superduper lad, there is nothing he couldn't fix my man:)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    nickeccles likes this.
  14. T-ster

Yeah I could ask Docs but Superduper is in the USA, i don't think i'll ship it there and back. Plus i want to fix it, i am working through it bit by bit...

nickeccles likes this.
  15. Radio Raheem

Well good luck tre, just to think i sold a good condition one fully working For £120 a few years back, yea im off my rocker haha

16. T-ster

Well another day, worked on it for hours today and no progress :(

17. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Among other finds i will have to pick the Nippon CRC-2015B , a super rare bird i found sometime
    this past Summer. Unforunately i cant find a pic of it right now in my new pc.
    I promise i ll post a pic soon .:)

18. deech

deech Well-Known Member

I ve found that pic of the Nippon !
    DSC05432.JPG

19. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

If by find you mean "find in the wild", my 2016 personal prize goes to the Fisher PH 470. It was battered but tech resurrected it and now it's one of my best looking/finest sounding Sanyos (er... I know... but inside it reads Sanyo everywhere, starting from the woofers) :)

20. nickeccles

Fisher IS Sanyo in every way :)