1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aiwa CS880 pick up

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by T-ster, Mar 19, 2017.

1. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

So this arrived on Friday in a bit of a state:
    s-l1600.jpg

Listed as non working but did power up. Well the good news was upon plugging it in the tape motor was running permanently so at least that was working. No radio however and volume was permanently loud even with the volume turned right down.

The first thing was to get it all running properly so i rotated the flywheel until the heads reset and this solved the motor running, i then cracked on with belts, fresh lube and a clean. Deck was working fine.

Volume turned out to be bad solder joint although it was a pain in the ass to get to with the tuner board stacked on top. Radio i fixed kinda of by accident as i noticed tapping the chip made it come on, i have no idea what joint was bad but i did them all on the chip and fm was now fine.

Cosmetic wise i have resprayed the grill BMW sapphire black with a couple of clear coats.

All i need to do now is order a kit to refoam the speakers including the center passive. It was also missing a pause key, and several knobs and switch covers, if anybody has any spare i would be grateful.

Here she is after some work:

20170318_184809_resized.jpg
    20170318_184924_resized.jpg
    20170318_191603_resized.jpg

deech likes this.
  2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Great pick up Tstar funnily enough im using my 880 now, not the best sounding box but one of my faves, ain't used a box for ages cuz just been too low about my m90's but i have the 80's on at the moment heart with jason donovan. anyway refoaming is easy mate, you will have her up and running in no time lad, Nice one

btw £58.95 what a steal

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Digital Tuner Too!!

Lovely machines I envy you :worship:
    would love that stereo!

Radio Raheem likes this.
  4. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Glad a member here got this, I saw it after it had sold, bargain :biggrin: congrats.
    I'm sure you'll get it fully sorted in no time, re-foamed mine a few days a go very easy, the hard part was finding the correct size foams.
    I'll post an update on work I've done.

5. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I think this is Aiwa's best box. Just MHO but it sets itself apart from nearly everything else at the time.

I almost had one in my hands from a co-worker who quickly Googled it after I mentioned I'd be interested in it and decided to ply it on Ebay. Sold for over $200:swoon. I couldn't come up with the cash fast enough

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  6. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

A beauty!

7. T-ster

Thanks mate, well since you have already sourced the correct sized foams could you post me a link please? Would be very grateful.

Thanks for the comments guys. I did get lucky with this one on a decent BIN but it was in bad shape and that may have put off a lot of people. It's gorgeous :D

8. deech

deech Well-Known Member

This is one of the Grails . Iconic :wave:
    Such a pretty boombox. Congrats Tre :biggrin:

Brutus442 likes this.
  9. mrp32Dave

These are the foams I used for the speakers, not cheap but the size is perfect they are good quality and work very well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360891378647?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1.jpg 2.jpg

I used these for the passive again not cheap but worked very well, the only issues are you'll have to trim the outer edge to fit the frame and trim a few mm off the inner diameter the white card ring so it will fit over the roll.
    The passive works very well you can have the volume almost full with DSL and full bass with no problems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262852278647?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They are sold in pairs so I have spare if you'd like it :biggrin:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Brutus442 likes this.
  10. T-ster

Dave you legend thanks! I have ordered a set of the main speaker foams but i'll definitely take you up on the spare passive if i may!

Of course i'll pay you and cover post :D

It will be great to get this finished :D

11. mrp32Dave

Not sure about legend? :laugh: But glad I could help you out, I don't want anything for the foam just PM me your address and I'll get it in the post to you.
    Yeah you need to get it finished, mine sounds awesome :biggrin: probably one of my best sounding boxes and I have a few good ones.

Radio Raheem and Brutus442 like this.
  12. Brutus442

Great offer Dave! I have to say these posts are great for those of us too timid to try a project like this. It's like having a step by step guide with pictures!! Love it!

Radio Raheem likes this.
  13. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

Hey Geoff, I'm back! I wish you had told me about this one! This is easily one of my top 3 favourites!

Brutus442 likes this.
  14. Brutus442

Missed you Tony! I didn't know they through it on Ebay at all until after the auction. I expressed my interest in it after saying I collected them and inquired into the condition of the foam, etc. My co-worker mentioned they would go home and check it out again. I work shifts as you know, and I returned after 5 days (back on day shift) and found it sold in 2 days on Ebay, AFTER I mentioned I was interested in it. :hissyfit:

Just my luck Tony...:shrug:

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  15. T-ster

Massive thanks to Dave for the passive surround, just awaiting the arrival of the main woofers surrounds and im going to tackle this. Be really nice to get her running sweet and looking good again.

Thanks again Dave, arrived safe and sound yesterday. I owe ya one.

16. T-ster

Well thanks to Dave's advice on the foams and offer of a free passive foam i now have her up and running and the sound is great. I don't know what they are like before but as Dave says i can have DSL on and volume right up and no farting. I messed up one of the refoams a bit as i had never done it before and it was harder than i thought, its only cosmetic tho and works fine, go number two went much better and passive went fine also.
    20170414_120223_resized.jpg

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  17. T-ster

Oh, i'm still missing a balance knob and switch covers for the little levers in case anyone has any, thanks guys :thumbsup:

18. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Well done Tre, it's a corker

19. mrp32Dave

Glad your re-foam went pretty well, I didn't realise you hadn't done it before, so well done :nodding:, it always seems more difficult the first time. They do sound great probably one of my best sounding 80's boxes :biggrin:.

20. deech

deech Well-Known Member

A fully workin 880 is always nice to hear. Nice to see it finished !:nodding:
    In the pic you uploaded Tre the speakers seem to me
    a bit white but its a dark pic (or my laptop has a problem)
    Have you thought about painting them black?