1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo2go DATABASE

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by deech, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Should a Countdown with the amount be imposted on the 1st page for bringing our Old Database back?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2017.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Yes but.. (Write down a suggestion Please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No Because .. (Write down a suggestion Please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Leave S2GO as it is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't really care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deech

deech Well-Known Member

I ve been wanting to share this with all the community since its on my mind and i guess on many members thoughts for Stereo2Go in general.:nodding:

Its been a couple of weeks since i met with dear friend and member Sotza to see an exhibiton about the 80s
    which took place in our town. Among other things we discussed our opinions on how the Database of The Previous site will be part of this forum too as it is a heritage that should not in any way be forgotten.

Our opinions were exactly the same and we came up with a suggestion that we want to share with the administrators and with all of the people that use S2GO. This is that if an amount
    (we dont know the total amount but if i remember correctly it is around 3500 euros) is necessary to be paid at the previous forum hosts or to whatever company wants to impost the Entire Database in our new Hosts then why not Post in the 1st page and on TOP of all other threads
    a Countdown starting from 3500 euros (?) and whenever a member makes a donation or a contribution for that purpose to cause this amount to drop and to finally reach this great Goal ? Isnt this a nice suggestion?
    For what concerns me is that every month an amount should be paid at our current hosts and those expences should not be mixed with the Goal of bringing our old Huge DB back.
    Any opinions are so very welcome. :)

Brutus442, samovar and Machaneus like this.
  2. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Thanks deech for your kind words but most of all for making the thoughts of our conversation a reality !
    I think timing is very important , it won't be long until old members will forget all of the great topics of the old forum and new members won't care at all about it as they will have no chance to relate with the admittedly very important database of the past.
    By definition most of as are collectors, we preserve the walkmans and boomboxes of a bygone era, it is of equal importance to preserve their history, the one we all gathered all these years.:)

Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

A great idea, mates! :nodding:
    I am all in favor and will try to help get this invaluable heritage back online as much as I can.

Radio Head likes this.
  4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

This is a great idea Deech, we have so much to save and bring back.

Brutus442 likes this.
  5. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Deech for the idea. I think it's a good one, but the technical background I have no idea how can this be done (other than manually done, of course, which I have to avoid).

6. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Walkman Archive what do youmean? Do you mean that bringing the DB back can only be done manually?
    One more question Is the Database or parts of the Old site lost forever?
    Please share with us if you know.Please tell us the exact amount needed for bringing the DataBase back.
    If it can be done professionally by people who know how to do it why not start the procedure when the
    amount is ready to be paid to them?
    I m so sorry but i am so lost with this situation
    and i really dont like to see S2Go like this.
    Maybe its my idea but i dont know.. somethings wrong.
    I do miss the old posts, they were something to refer to.

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I think I didn't explain well. What I meant is that the technical background to put that counter is something way beyond my knowledge. And doing it manually is something I'd prefer to avoid because the few free time I have, I prefer to spend enjoying music, writing articles or whatever.
    Decoding the database is something that a skilled technician can do as I already explained, although very difficult and expensive.
    Clear now? :wink:

8. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Yesofcourse its clear Hugo,
    I can understand that you dont have the knowledge to make the Coundown which i sure know is not that easy to make.
    I am sure there must be some professionals involved to make this happen. It is also respectable that you dont want to do it
    manually.This includes the danger of loosing valuble info too. What i am asking is this Question.
    How much is the amount needed for paying a skilled professional technician to decode the Database?

9. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Hi all guys, I have been away for some time and only now I realize I have missed a few important topics.

In the first place, thanks to deech for the relevant issue at stake in this post. I have been giving a lot of thinking to what I miss from the old site, and the database is definitely #1 in my personal list.

In the last days of old stereo2go the question aroused emotions of all sorts: valuable members were banned, tears of rage were shed, mistakes were made by everybody. I recall this strong emotional moment only to point out the importance of the topic. Emotions imply involvment and commitment, and the database contains the sweat and blood of many valuable members. How strange, then, that so far this fundamental post by deech has received only scant attention.

My own contributions to the old site were either in the cultural sphere or in the entertainment one. None of them was particularly impressive; yet, believe me, their preparation took a lot of time and considerable effort on my part. And here's the catch: I value my contributions at the bottom of the list, ie, if they were lost forever I woulnd't grieve that much.

Why? Because the real thing was the unvaluable amount of technical & historical threads plus tutorials of all sorts. They were the backbone of the site, and now they sleep in hybernation. This is a shame and I fully agree with sotza when he says that, as collectors, we have the moral commitment to preserve the past we ourselves created, ie, whatever we contributed to the cultural history of portable audio.

During the last days of old stereo2go, all the active members reached an agreement concerning the database that went like that: (1) First we migrate. (2) Then we grant ourselves a certain amount of time to stabilize the new site. (3) Then we ask for a professional estimate of the conversion costs. (4) At that point we decide if it's worth start a fundraising or not.

Step 1 and 2 have already been accomplished. Being among gents, who by definition respect their words, I expect the follow-up: an extimate of the expenses, a fundrising campaign, the reinstallment of the old DB. If these conditions for the rescue of the database materialize, I will gladly contribute a monthly fee along the lines suggested by deech in the present post. Last but not least, I fully agree with his idea of establishing a countdown on top of all threads, when an estimated of the expenses is produced.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    deech, Boodokhan, Brutus442 and 2 others like this.
  10. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Count me in on this gents. I can't tell you how many times I used the old database for questions about repairs. To be honest the photos of repairs gave me the confidence to undertake most of them along with invaluable member support. I wouldn't have ventured into half of the projects without it

I owe this community at least the ability to "pay it forward" as they say. Meaning I owe it to the next guy looking to restore his vintage boxes so putting the database back is the least I can do to help.

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

count me in as well

deech and Brutus442 like this.
  12. samovar

Yep but you should at least vote for (or against) the Countdown :)
    In passing I notice that only 8 people (deech included) have posted in this thread. It is bizarre that nobody else seems to care for the Database. Where are historical members who put a lot of effort on it? Hello...! Is there anybody out there? :waiting:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Brutus442, deech and Boodokhan like this.
  13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have already voted "yes", and will do whatever it takes to support this process.
    It is not an easy task but i strongly believe this will be done someday (hopefully soon).

Brutus442 and deech like this.
  14. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I have just voted yes, I really think saving the database is a must I'm willing to contribute through donating or whatever needs to be done to save this irreplaceable data, which is the history of S2G.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Brutus442, samovar and deech like this.
  15. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

most people have left Sal, i hate saying this but this place is just as dead as it was before the transfure, it's a sad fact but it's true and i hate to be the one to point it out, as you were Gents

Brutus442, samovar and deech like this.
  16. deech

deech Well-Known Member

17. samovar

I have been away for some time because life has this curious habit of getting in the way of what I like best. However, as far as I can see I do not detect much activity on this site. You may be right Reno, but if so this saddens me immensely.

Brutus442 likes this.
  18. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

At least it's not gone as it may have been, thanks to the new team. :) And hopefully the database will be back on line sooner or later.

deech and Brutus442 like this.
  19. bub

bub Active Member

I'd like to see a countdown as well. Mostly, I miss being able to google for old topics or models. I feel like the community is still lively to make this place fun.

20. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Sorry for not understanding, but what is "the database"?

All of the old threads? Or just photos? Or what?

And are we talking about integrating them into this current forum? Or would they just be a download zip file only?