1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Walkman DD 1982 Silver

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by funkitall, Apr 20, 2017.

1. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Hello there

A question, I recently purchased A silver 1982 Sony DD with shoulder case / bag for just under £60.00
    Now it was marked as Impeccable condition and you can hear the motor etc...
    May need a new belt...
    Another ebayer said, these work via "gear wheels" so for my novice mind it was the typical DD "click"

No the issue is ..the machine powers up but the reels don`t move and after 5 seconds the unit powers down....
    1: is this a simple and cheap fix?
    2: if fixed what is the financial benefit of having this Walkman?

I usually only buy working units as I love playing my old tapes and I know that maybe at some point in the next 20 years I may need to sell my "babies" to pay for a young nurse to wipe my old bum.....

Well you have to think about it......

2. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

ps It also doesn`t have the battery cover......

Is is easier just to send this unit back to the seller for a refund?

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

IS it cosmetically in Impeccable condition??? Obviously Impeccable means NO scratch or marking at all .
    If it is in impeccable condition i would keep it and try to fix it.

But if it is not in perfect cosmetic condition i would send it back

Regarding the possible cause of malfunctiong/ not functioning, it is hard to say. I would open it and try to run the motor directly to see whether or not it works.
    Probably @bub (I call him walkmanpedia) knows where the problem is

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

if the centre-wheel-crack (...cause for the click) becomes too big, the unit gets blocked - so I say this is caused by an allready blocking centre-gear.

my advice: send it back

5. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Hi
    I am waiting to hear if the "seller" will refund me £15 from the sale value.....as the Walkman is in very good "cosmetic" condition...
    So that would mean it cost £40....
    Lets see......

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

hopefully this will all get sorted for you. If it doesnt, then you may want to add his / her name to the good / bad ebayers thread

7. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

I will do........

8. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

the guy gave me £15 off the price SO I got it for £40, just purchased a battery door for it and soon it will be sent away to have the internals looked at
    So overall pretty happy with the outcome....

9. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

I have a silver DD which was in similar condition: this player is the second oldest with the centre gear tape transport and the gear is usually cracked with a 2 mm gap. It get stuck when the crack reaches the capstan gear and after a couple of seconds the electronic will shut off as the PLL controlling the motor is not locking on the signal coming from the capstan coil (the capstan is not turning).

Fix the gap and it will be back as new; please consider that anyway this walkman is quite old and has soft HF, it is not as bright as 90's walkmans. A solid player (I like it very much) with an old style analogue sound.

10. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Cheers Enry

I purchased a battery cover from a S2G member so the next stage will be to send it off to someone to fix and bring it back to life......