1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best vintage walkman headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by richlooker, Feb 2, 2017.

1. richlooker

richlooker New Member S2G Supporter

I have some super sounding Sony walkmen - DD9, DC2, D6C, DD33 - and I am now considering obtaining a pair of suitable vintage headphones. I have the MDR-51 that was originally bundled with the D6C, plus the MDR-102 that came with DD-33. The MDR-51 is quite good, but a bit shy on bass, and the MDR-102 is almost the same but with a little less sparkle. Now I am looking to find something better of roughly the same vintage.

Have been looking for a pair of MDR-70 for sometime; there is one at ebay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282314107770

Are the MDR-70 good? What other vintage headphones should I consider?

Cheers, Richard

2. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I have several pairs of MDR-51's plus a few MDR-40's, MDR-30's and MDR-20's these all sound good the MDR-51's being the the best of these, I agree about the lack of bass but this is more down to them being on ear with foam pads.
    I have a pair of MDR-54's from 1990 these do have more bass, but I have fitted these with proper cushions rather than foam which improves the bass further, I think they sound very nice, here's the specs and a few pictures of mine.

■ Price \ 3,300
    ■ type open-air dynamic type
    ■ diaphragm 30mm dome type
    ■ impedance 24Omu
    ■ playback frequency band 14-24,000Hz
    ■ permissible input 100 mW
    ■ sensitivity 105DB / MW
    ■ code 2m OFC litz wire stereo 2-way plug
    ■ Weight 52g (It does not contain code)
    ■ sale August 1990
    ■ discontinued around 1994

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

3. richlooker

richlooker New Member S2G Supporter

Thanks, I will be watching out for MDR-54. But I suspect they are just a small evolution MDR-51, and I was hoping the MDR-70 is a bigger step up. Anybody own these or have heard them?

Cheers, Richard

4. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I don't have any good lightweight headphone from that era; all are mid-level or low budget SONY/AIWA. The only good one is a full sized one which is extraordinary but also not targeted to walkmans but to high end sound, and it's the best headphone in my entire collection: the MDR-CD3000.
    But in my experience, small headphones have evolutioned a lot and maybe there were very few -or maybe none- back then that has enough quality. Not sure though, just my opinion...

5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Totally agree, all the origional walkman headphones i wouldn't touch with a barge pole, they were just suplied to get you started and the mdr cd3000 are fantastic headphones,
    btw hugo i now have the origional presentation case that goes with the cd3000, just beautiful lad

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    walkman archive likes this.
  6. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

At last, a topic I really like here! First off, I would like to show a not too good photo about my collection:
    collection.jpg

From left to right it is an MDR-51, and MDR-M44, an MDR-62, another MDR-51, an MDR-4 (cable mod), and an MDR-64.

I also had a top category MDR-M88, MDR-60II, MDR-W5.
    The MDR-51 is really a nice can. I think it has enough bass at least for me. Quite balanced. It is my everyday can.
    The MDR-M44 is fantastic, the bass is a bit tiny as well but the depth, sound stage and presentation is better than with the
    MDR-51. The MDR-62 is good news for those who find the bass to be too thin in the 51s as it has a similar presentation but
    with more bass to it. The MDR-64 is really nice but I think the middle is a bit muffled compared to it's predecessors, still quite
    balanced. The MDR-4, as predecessor to all, has a decent sound but it lacks the dynamic range and balanced sound and of course
    soundstage compared to it's successors. Back to the cans I used to have, the M88 was really nice but it was not far better than the
    M44, in fact I think it was less balanced. Crispy highs and nice mids, though not as clear as the M44. The MDR-60 was very nice
    in terms of mids and highs but seriously lacked bass. The W5 looks good but really sounds about/below average.
    I think the CD3000 is not quite fair here :) though must be a very nice set, should be another category.
    There is an M44 at Ebay, and an M33. The M33's price is I think way too much, but the M44 if won't go above the clouds, can
    be bought for a decent price tag. I'd buy the M33 for half the price. Search for them. The only downside to these is the original
    foams are missing and since Sony made miracles with the original ones, their absence is really a bad thing.
    And I grab the opportunity here as well to ask you about their AIWA counterparts, especially the T and X range. Does ANYONE know
    ANYTHING about those? I'd be really interested!!!!! As I've been trying to find those for years now without success...
    I am so glad now that such a topic exists here :)

walkman archive likes this.
  7. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Oo and I had an MDR-M77 as well, maybe there was a problem with it, but the SQ was below average.

8. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

And if you have any experience with the Sony MDR-CD6, please share it as well, I'd be very happy to read about those...

9. Chris

Chris Active Member

I really like my MDR-3L2 headphones. They were included with the TPS-L2 or could be purchased separately for £15.

While they are a very basic pair, I think the sound quality is a lot better than most basic headphones included with phones and mp3 players today.

Oh...and they look cool. :wink2

10. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

The MDR-3 must be nice. Although the best lightweight Sony earphones ever created are probably the MDR-62.

Now I have maybe the pinnacle of the category, the Aiwa HP-X10...man, this is just fantastic :D
    I don't know if there were any better vintage set than the X10.
    X10 love.jpg

Chris likes this.
  11. Chris

Chris Active Member

Might have to get some of those if I see them on ebay.

12. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Of course I would like to have a CD2000/3000 or even an MDR-R10.
    But believe me when I say that no contemporary lightweight portable headphones can match a good MDR-51/62, M series Sony or X/T series Aiwa.

13. Radio Raheem

glad you're happy with you're headphones, howeaver i listen to most of my music on my main hifi, the cd3000 sound great on my walkmans but come into there own on my hifi....i can only highly recommend them if you can get an affordable pair that actually work because i have seen a few of these that need far to much work

as for the mdr 10 i think 99% of the world can only dream about those:wink2

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Brutus442 likes this.
  14. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Of course...I can imagine the CD3000's potential. I'd like one too. :)
    Do you know the difference btw between them and the R10 sonically?
    I think the higher end lightweight Sonys and Aiwas are really good, have you listened to any
    of the series mentioned above? I might try the X10 against the CD3000...I guess
    the 3000 would win...but who knows the X10 might hold it's own. :)
    I missed one important set from the list, the MDR-CD6, though I never listened to it.
    Any of you have any experience? I had a CD5 but I was not that satisfied.

15. Radio Raheem

With most of these high end headphones you need a high end sorce, i have heard lots of high end gear but none are like mine it's not because it's high end gear, it's only technics, but it's the way i have put the gear togeather, all those headphones like you'rs i probbably was impressed in my teens but im way way byond that now my friend

just be glad you're happy with you're cans because i have to spend over £1000 on mine and sometimes they don't cut it, i had a pair of grado ps1000 and although great cans they were just toys and couldn't handle my hifi gear, now gone to one of my best friends.....once you hear 7k worth of hifi which i did in my mid teens you just can't go back:wink2

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  16. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

WOW you impress me! I am really curious about how you managed to put your gear together. Maybe in a PM if no one else is interested. I am for sure!
    Really interested about how youreached your point where you couldn't "go back". :)
    These are capable of nice presentation from HIFI sources as well though maybe not all of them. Of course I'd buy a CD3000. I have a Philips SBC890 which is
    quite nice but I suspect it's not close to a CD3000.

17. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

hey, my advice: KOSS PortaPro I or II, still available new for a decent price

18. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

I know the PortaPro and the Sportapro. They are too bassy for me. Relatively nice dynamics but far from the frequency balance and warmth these Sonys and Aiwas are capable of.

19. Radio Raheem

just sent you a pm, and in it i said opinions are like arsholes every one has one lol but based on your post id forget the cd 3000 and the links iv sent you via pm....as i find the porta pro toatal micky mouse, that's not to say im dissing my friend Auto's choice...you need to hear all this gear with you're own ears:wink2

autoreverser likes this.
  20. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Tbh I was maybe too polite with the Portapro. It is mickey mouse. From 2-300 Hz it is not enjoyable at all.
    But I agree, opinions are opinions, ears are ears, who are to decide but us, individually? Looking forward to read that PM. :)