1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
deech

AKAI's

Tags:
AKAI's
deech, Dec 16, 2017
Reli and Mystic Traveller like this.
    • Easthelp
      Interesting-looking stack you have there, Deech. Those are Akai AJ-500FS stereos. They must be the versions with two shortwave (SW) bands, with the SW bands positioned above the FM and the AM bands. I think that I’ve seen one being sold by another Grecian guy (on eBay). I am not sure if the AJ-500FS came with a fine-tuning control for better shortwave reception because I know almost nothing about the Akai brand. (But something tells me that, like other Japanese brands like Aiwa and Hitachi, the Akai engineers hardly ever bothered to give their boomboxes and mini-boxes fine-tuning at that time in the 1980s.)

But, to turn to the “wow” factor: that twin stack looks good! The flat-top design lets collectors stack ‘em and snap ‘em. (Snap a photo’ or two of them, that is.)

Do those eight cassette-deck keys need a firm press or a gentler one?

We see the seven pairs of signal-strength lights lit up, so we know the units aren’t “dead.” (As if you would stack and snap “dead” Akais, eh, Deech?:wink: And it's good that you cushioned the stack with that bubble-wrap strip.)

Uh, are the ‘500s tuned to the “Pepper” radio station at 96.6 MHz over there in Greece, Deech? The tuner dials suggest that might be the case. (Shrug)

We also assume that those portables can at least play audiocassettes because we see those TEAC reel-to-reel cassettes (one bronze-coloured, one silver-coloured) in the decks. We also hope that the speakers all work.

Ah, well, the Akai AJ-500FS was probably a challenge to the more-coveted Panasonic RX-5350, but I’m sure those Akai are not mere copycats. Enjoy them.
    • deech
      Good Ol' Easthelp ! Thats a loooooooooooong comment.
      I m going to try to answer some of your questions :)
      But first please tell me how do you know about
      Pepper 96,6 FM Stereo Radio Station?
    • Easthelp
      Hi, there, deech. I think that I Googled "FM Radio Stations In Greece" or something like that to look up various FM radio stations in your homeland to see which ones broadcast around 96 MHz. That frequency seems to be roughly the one that your Akai units are tuned to in your photo'. That was how I wound up suggesting that Pepper 96.6 FM is the station you might have been jammin' to. (And thanks :wink: for reminding me of what I think is my first-ever message posted on Stereo2Go: "PARDON MY LOOONG POST," an August 5, 2008 statement.)
      deech likes this.
    • deech
      Eathelp please consider my comment
      a friendly joke ! :wavey:
      I miss so much the old Forum and i remember vividly
      your loooooooong posts , i used to laugh in a good way when most of the
      members telling you : ''Oh what a big write up'' '' didnt understand a word''
      but i know you are a lover for details !
      Write my friend as much as you want if this is the way you are expressing your
      love for these machines then write as much as you want !! :)
      You have my hellos and wishes for A Happy 2018.

http://live24.gr/radio/pepper
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Boomboxes
    Uploaded By:
    deech
    Date:
    Dec 16, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3456px
    Height:
    4608px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-WX60
    Date / Time:
    2015:09:24 13:06:04
    Exposure Time:
    1/20 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    4.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).