1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Andrew0102

I need help finding what this is.

Hello! This is not an official Walkman but a General Electric one! This is the portable cassette page so I think it is okay. I have only found 1 image of it on the web. It says on the back "battery operated am/fm stereo cassette player" and it's model number is "3-5430C" thanks.

I need help finding what this is.
Andrew0102, Dec 13, 2017
    • Andrew0102
      Also it uses 4 AA's and drains them in a few hours and makes LOUD crinkling sounds when I turn the volume up or down.
    • Mister X
      Hello Andrew0102, it's a fairly common player we had back in the 80's. At the time General Electric was in some financial trouble so a lot of the electronic products were made overseas by other vendors. Unfortunately the battery drain is fairly common, the better radios worked magic on the players so they could do more with fewer batteries but it was a feat of engineering and likewise cost 5-10x the price of this unit. The boomboxes are worse, 8-12 batteries might last a day on the beach.

To fix the crinkling sounds we use a product called Deoxit, found in most guitar stores or amazon.com. There's two versions, regular Deoxit and FaderLube, I use Deoxit for rotary switches and FaderLube for sliding switches. An old member that was prolific in posting long descriptive tales of boombox and personal cassette players he found in Hong Kong wrote a great post on using Deoxit on audiokarma.org. Here's a link to Arkay's Post
      http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

Hope this helps!

Forgot to add, I have one of those somewhere around here....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Walkmans
    Uploaded By:
    Andrew0102
    Date:
    Dec 13, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    900.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2592px
    Height:
    1936px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).