1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first Direct Drive walkman and it's not a sony

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by SeanMT, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SeanMT

SeanMT Member

Yep that's right this is my first direct drive walkman or in this case i should say stereo2go.

IMG_1388.jpg

So apparently Panasonic (or the Matsushita Co.) also made Direct Drive Walkman and from what I've read this one is not that bad. actually its pretty good almost as good as a DC2 but that is from what i have read. I don't know how good the sound quality is because I don't have head phones with a 2.5mm jack so I'm still waiting for an adapter to get here. I also don't have a DC2 or a DD walkman to compare the sound quality with. But Panasonic, they as far as I'm aware of made 2 types of direct drive stereos (or walkman) the one that i have ( the more common of the 2) the rx-s40 and the more rare older brother the rx-s41. the difference between the two is that the rx-s41 has a recording capability and the rx-s40 dose not.

Now why did I buy this some what rare Panasonic DD stereo over a well know Sony DD walkman, it's because it was a lot more cheaper than the Sony DD players. Most of the Sony DD walkman are pretty expensive (on eBay) they usually go over 200 dollars. While i bought this for 90 bucks. OK enough with that now its time for some pics

IMG_1389.jpg

oh ill also mention this is one of the world smallest Direct Drive stereos which is pretty cool,
    way to go Panasonic! :thumbup:

IMG_1390.jpg

I will say that I've just notice a them going one with this stereo and that is
    every thing is so tiny. I mean look at this next picture as i
    show a normal 3.5 mm jack next to the head phone plug.

IMG_1398.jpg

and it also takes 2 AAA batteries

IMG_1410.jpg

and it is as big as a cassette case

IMG_1395.jpg

well that's all the pictures i have to show. I also want to give a thinks to "Helaba" for posting "Direct Drive DD sony vs Panasonic" if he did not post this thread i would have never known the existence of this stereo.

Ill probably post more stuff later so by for now :wave:

Ball000 likes this.
  2. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Aww man now I have to buy one of these too!!! Nice find.

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

That's fantastic Sean! And bought for a very low price! I think this is one of the best walkmans out there!! This is also a real Collector item... Everybody has a DD , but not this one.... Have you the luck that the center gear is intact? Anyway , i love the looks, the quality and the way to operate and feels.... Top!c

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

DD walkmans are very easy to find. You can always search Ebay for DD walkman and see many of them everyday, but finding a Panasonic direct drive is not easy
    congratulation.
    Do these Panasonic direct drive walkmans have a common weakness? for example cracked gear is common for DD series. Is there such a COMMON issue for Panasonic direct drive walkmans?

Ball000 likes this.
  5. Ball000

Ball000 Member

Yeah congratulations! However this sounds like the beginner's luck imho... As Helaba and Boodokhan said, DD Walkmans are easy to find, but this RX-S40 isn't actually. I'd love to find one in such a condition for that price, but I would think I never will and actually I no longer look for it seriously.

@ Boodokhan: indeed John Edwards mentioned the weakness of the central gear of this model in his PANASONIC-FIRST 6 YEARS 1980 to 1985 thread. :-/

Boodokhan likes this.
  6. SeanMT

SeanMT Member

I will also mention the gears are intact and it sounds amazing!!! And yes this stereo does have the same gear problem as the sony's dd line unfortunately. But for now it works just fine.

7. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Great review indeed!
    Thanks for sharing it. I knew this model since years, thanks to John edwards but I always thought it was very bulky.
    With the TDK beside it's clear that i was VERY wrong. Actually it's very tiny :shock
    I had the opportunity to buy one boxed new but decided to pass. Maybe i had to pick it...
    Anyway, excellent review and photos :applause

Keep it coming :thumbsup: