1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy headphone connection on my WM-D6C

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by kitchen10, Sep 6, 2017.

1. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased a rather battered but working (and very nice-sounding) D6C, but unfortunately the earphone socket is very loose - the left channel works intermittently, and the right channel is dead. The line out works perfectly, so it must be the jack. Would anyone be willing to replace the jack for me? My local hifi shop won't touch it! :sos:

The beast herself:
    [​IMG]

And the faulty jack:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Henry :wavey:

2. greg

greg Member

Open it up and refresh the joints. Should work after that.

kitchen10 likes this.
  3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Yep, just a quick little in and out solder job should do the trick

Then perhaps maybe a clean.... I'm a little OCD in that respect, and that sort of grime could be anything from work related dust, mold or even Toilet germs!

;-)

kitchen10 likes this.
  4. greg

greg Member

Well, germs can't rellly survive ex-vitro for more than a few hours, so I wouldn't really worry about that. Dust is mostly dead human skin cells, so that's moot too. Work-related dust, possibly either asbestos or radionucleides, so you're going to die from that for sure.

Hopefully the organic solvent you use to clean isn't carcinogenic, like xylene or carbon tetrachloride, then all will be peachy. Do remember to re-grease/oil correctly where appropriate too.

Lead solder will be fantastic for the joint refresh, however, apparently that causes systemic nerve damage, amongst other things, but has great eutectic properties.

I hear Etch-a-Sketch are resonably safe for retro-fun.

kitchen10 likes this.
  5. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Ha ha... Im not THAT worried.... I just like a clean walkman ;-)

kitchen10 likes this.
  6. greg

greg Member

Space, a vacuum, is probably the closest thing to clean you'll get.
    Place your D6C and headphones in a bell-jar, and evacuate. Problem solved.

Apart from no sound.

kitchen10 likes this.
  7. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

I had a CD player in for repair a couple of years ago. It wasn't detecting or reading the CD at all. The owner was a heavy smoker.
    Once I had cleaned the sheen of brown sticky gunk off the laser lens it worked beautifully.

kitchen10 likes this.
  8. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

That's the worst kind of filfth.

kitchen10 likes this.
  9. Command8

Command8 Active Member

nice, i had the exact same scenario with my dad's discman.

kitchen10 likes this.
  10. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

I'll open her up and have a look at the joints, but from the amount of movement of the actual jack, I fear it's a cracked PCB. I've just given her a thorough clean, so no more toilet germs!

I've got some 60/40 lead solder in my toolbox, can't stand the lead free stuff. I wouldn't use anything else. The fumes aren't particularly enjoyable, though...

Agreed, I've spent hours cleaning tobacco residue from electronics. Nasty habit.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll have a look at the mainboard and post some pictures when I get in.

Henry

11. greg

greg Member

I've found in the last two weeks that the green plastic is starting to crumble on my D6C. Would appear to be age-related.
    Mechanically it's ok but I think unless I get onto sorting it now, it will cause a lot more problems quite soon after.

I think it's probable the same green-plastic part is used across most walkmans, so it may be worth cannibalising a cheapo late-issue non-worker WM-EX for parts. Long as the size and position of contacts is compatible, it could be an effective solution.

G

12. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

I've managed to fix the headphone jack - two dry solder joints and a broken track. Took me 5 minutes with my soldering iron and a strand of fine ribbon cable wire.

Thanks,
    Henry