1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WM-FX12 REPAIR ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Dan Allyn, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dan Allyn

Dan Allyn New Member

Hi all I just found a wm fx 12 and I tried playing it. The radio works fine but the problem is that whenever I press the play button on tape mode, I hear the motor spinning but the spindles/tapeheads don't move. The rewind and fast forward buttons don't seem to work either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Open this little bugger! ;)
    It is practically guaranteed that you will see stretched/hardened or melted into nasty goo rubber belts. Since Radio works, electrolytic capacitors must still be O-K! But it never hurts to go thru full recap: this is the beauty of the hobby, at least for me! I am afraid to open any of my big-rig Naim Audio boxes but tiny Walkmans and Discmans is where my "idle hands" get messy...
    If new belts wont revive it, just get another little bugger :cool: this hobby is Cheap!!

3. Dan Allyn

Dan Allyn New Member

Not really sure how to open him up though...
    Whole thing is made out of plastic with no screws. I saw on the internet some people remove the back to change the belt but never any really specific instructions on how to do so

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

There was a thread here a few weeks/months ago about opening such clamshell plastic babies. In short, if you do not have a photo of the opened one, you do not know where those inside latches are and you most probably break one or two when opening it. Just push a blade or tiny flat screwdriver in between the shells and work your way around. Even with broken latches you can always glue it back with polystyrene or crazy glue, still better than a dead Walkman;)