1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SA-230 Mini Amplifier

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Mister X, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I grabbed this little guy a few weeks ago while looking for bargains over the holidays. I've always been fascinated with late 70's car audio components and look for them once in a while but they're either extremely expensive or they look like they've been in a junk yard for most of their lives. I'm kind of boring and tend to stick with the stock system in my car but who knows, maybe I'll upgrade.

Back in the old days some cars had enough room under the stereo to actually stack equipment similar to home stereo systems. I had a few friends with the full stack that usually ran close to, or over, $1000.00 USD. Brands like Pioneer, Marantz, Blaupunkt and Nakamichi all made these really cool stereos that had a tape deck/tuner, amp and EQ.

The guy that sold this one to me mentioned that he worked for Marantz Superscope in the 70's (California) and had gone over to Marantz Japan for product negotiations several times. I had a thread on a Marantz PMD 201 years ago where I wished I had more information on the history of the PMD Units.

This SA-230 is a prototype for the models that did eventually go into production but it has no serial number on it. It was never used in a vehicle and except for some small scratches it looks like it had minimal use. When I get some free time I'll pop the top to see how it's wired up. It is heavy and it's all metal with a silver tint to it. Searching for other units it looks like some had the "Gold Standard" Tint, that must have been the production models.

I'm hoping he joins S2G and gives us more background information on the company, he said he was the product design manager back then and personally worked on the Marantz CD-330 (an early three head, stereo field recorder) and Superscope Microphones. I've got a CD-330 and consider it a beautiful box, if you don't have one, grab it now while they are still affordable.

Someday, hopefully I'll find a few more of these components, then I'll have to buy a classic car to put them in.

DSCN0678sm.jpg

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i can't exactly give you any information about your nice Marantz- car amp, but obviously it was part of a mini-tower, probably came with cassette-deck, tuner and equalizer - this stuff was in fashion in the early/mid 80'ies from different brands, thing is that you don't find much at all about all this kind of gear because its period was to short and never became really famous...

3. Mister X

Unfortunately car manufacturers started getting rid of all that space under the dash and you couldn't mount these in a visible location anymore.

4. autoreverser

solution: BUY A VINTAGE CAR !

5. Mister X

Got that covered and then some autoreverser....

6. autoreverser

...i have at least space for a DIN-standard radio :thumbsup:

IMG_4143.JPG

7. Mister X

Where's the tape deck?

8. autoreverser

...no, matey, not in the car :worship:

9. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

That's a cool Marantz integrated amplifier. I may have seen the gold-faced production model in one of my old car stereo magazines. I have a number of older car stereo components dating back to the late 70's and 80's. Most of it is Pioneer. Here are a pair of Pioneer GM-40 amplifiers from that time period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nando.

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Very nice Elite-ist, some of these old car stereos are very high quality builds although I can't tell you how they sound. I've noticed guys are hooking them up at home and turning them into mini-systems, it's nice that they are seeing a second life.

I forgot to bid on this one, it went for $10.00 USD, it's really cool looking.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-OLD-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10.jpg

11. Elite-ist

Old car stereos, especially the separates, are fetching more than what they retailed back in the day. And, I have, and continue to use, car stereo components in a mini home system. My collector cars are parked during the winter, so into the house come the car stereo components.

I have these Pioneer components from the 70's to 80's, too. I, also, saved many of the factory brochures from that time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nando.

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

Thanks for the photos! I just have an OEM deck to replace a newer unit for my little E30 that I haven't installed yet, I'd like to check out some other units and Pioneer is always on the radar. What do you use for a power supply for home power?

13. Elite-ist

I use a Samlex RPS 1210 10 amp regulated DC power supply. It's probably about 25 years old, now. I installed a switch to the front panel to turn the internal fan on and off.

[​IMG]

Nando.

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

I've picked up some more pieces here and there, they don't come up for sale often but here's the Marantz SA-2020 Wide Band Stereo Amplifier, it's just a tiny thing, interestingly it's rated at 13.8 volts, the same as the CH-53 Microsystem. Check out the neat styrofoam box with marantz embossed in it.

Marantz SA-2020.jpg

15. Mister X

Marantz CAR-322 Radio Tape Deck. This is interesting, there's two patents on it, I checked them out, one is a switch that turns the radio on when FF/REV are being used, that's kind of neat, sometimes it took a minute or two to do that operation. The other patent is a noise control system for FM radio. Both of these patents were made by Superscope (USA), Wachovia Capital Finance Corp Central, in 1981, helping my theory that Philips didn't have 100% control of all of the products.

The tape deck is in great condition, they're usually missing a knob or two but this is complete and well taken care of. I'm not sure how many decks had a 70 us button, I think it's for type II cassettes and I have no idea what IMS does? I have the face plate around here somewhere, just need to find it during my deep cleaning and packing.

DSC_1560sm.jpg
    US4389716-drawings-page-2.png

Elite-ist likes this.
  16. Elite-ist

IMS may be an option, once pressed, to listen to simulcast programmes on the the FM band, such as live sports events.

Nando.

Mister X likes this.
  17. Elite-ist

Most decks from the early 80's on, had the 70 us capability for correct playback of Type II, Type IV cassettes.

Nando.

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

Nice to see you popping in Elite-ist! I was thinking maybe music search? Info and brochures on Marantz Car Stereo Equipment is non-existant, some of the magazines on www.worldradiohistory.com have small blurbs with the yearly special editions but that's about it.

Please post more of your brochures! I posted a few ads down in the mini-stereo/car compo thread but it's another rabbit hole I don't want to get into yet, I spend way too much time scanning old magazines and papers for stuff as it is but I'd love to see more car stereos.

19. Elite-ist

I will see what I can add. Rather than infiltrate your thread with my stuff, should I just add something in a general car audio thread? I pulled out a few of my other car audio components, yesterday. These are going into my 1976 Buck Regal Sport Coupe.

20210905_164152.jpg

(edited)_20210905_163929.png

20200404_151939.jpg

Nando.

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

Yes, start a thread! There's some amazing car stereos that are kissing cousins to boomboxes and mini-stereos. I don't have much but I'll contribute.

The car looks great, I had to sell my 86 conversion van and matching Eddie Bauer Bronco two years ago, sad days. That view is amazing, I stayed home this holiday weekend, now I wish I was at the beach.