1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...my new Tapedeck !!!

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by autoreverser, Feb 24, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a decent one of those for ages - finally I got one: UHER CR-240

this tiny baby is from 1978 and features besides the most beautyful vu's real hifi-(off course) stereo, Dolby NR and all kinds of noise-cancellation, built-in control-speaker - this is f***ing great !

UHER produced this as one of the last attempts to score their peace of cake on the growing cassette-deck market, but even with big success in their professional "Reporter" reel-to-reel- series this deck couldn't stop the fall of UHER - the company was sold in 1980 and the name only continued with different oem-products (...as in 1981 the UHER TRAMP stereo-portable-cassette-player:http://stereo2go.org/forums/threads/my-tps-l2-clones-westman-so-far.331/ IMG_2996.JPG IMG_2997.JPG IMG_2998.JPG IMG_2995.JPG ).

initially made as a reporter's type (like f.ex. Sony tcd-5m) it weighs 2,7 kilos (!!!) without powersupply or battery (the powersupply is a cartridge that can be put inside the battery-departement.

so beautyfully and professionally done, this was a great follower to the famour UHER CR-124 (...a bit smaller, it was 1972 the FIRST portable hifi-stereo-cassette-deck featuring autoreverse !)

...and some day I'm gonna own the matching mini-tower for it as well ;-)

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Curious portable deck. Looks a bit bigger than the Marantz PMD430, and with a very 70s design...

3. autoreverser

hi hugo, and yeah, it's quite 70'ies ! I'm busy servicing it, will give recording a try in the evening...

4. autoreverser

...checkout the tape-selector for FeCr :)

5. autoreverser

...and look how nice it's built up inside !

BIG QUESTION:
    now this thing is portable and battery-operated - but features only one internal speaker - what genre is it ?
    IMG_3005.JPG IMG_3006.JPG

nickeccles likes this.
  6. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Yup, I've seen it. Good indicator of when it was made... ;-)

I'd say just a portable cassette recorded. All of them are stereo but have only one speaker, although twon RCAs for input and output...

BTW, the internal look proves it's a very well built machine and it should sound very good if the transport and head are up to the task.

nickeccles likes this.
  7. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Lovely Auto ! I considered one of these recently when looking for a small recorder, I went for a Sony TCD5 in the end but these look way cooler.

Be interesting to hear what you think of its recording capabilities :D

nickeccles likes this.
  8. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

That looks a quality machine .

nickeccles likes this.
  9. autoreverser

recording and playback appears to be great, well, there's still a bit wow&flutter, but I ordered new belts&idler allready.
    yesterday I was able to purchase the matching complete mini-tower (pre-amp, tuner, power-amp), will have to pick it
    up - folks, this is such stunning quality, reminds me on the ReVoX-gear I used to have.

note: this picture is not my actual new gear, this one is from somewhere in the internet but exactly the same !

images.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    nickeccles likes this.
  10. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Uher were & still are quality :wink:

My Uher Power Port 2 is a really nice compo with a quality cassette deck - manual recording level control, Dolby B & soft touch control!
    It has a huge flywheel for a machine of this era too, I got it for a song as all the rubbers had perished :eyepopping:
    Took a day or so to fully restore her & this one of my favourite stereos now, it's such a delight to use & so well made!!

That portable cassette deck is testament to how good they were - I could look at those internals all day...........a work of art for sure :wink:

Uher Power Port 2 Stereo Radio Cassette Recorder - January 2017 (5).jpg

autoreverser likes this.
  11. autoreverser

hi nickeccles, the box you have there is quite nice, but unfortunately I must tell you, besides the name it got nothing to do with UHER, this box is app. from 1983/84 (or later) era, when UHER was sold allready. Inside your box is most probably (I guess) a Sanyo or Sharp, because the new owner of the name UHER used this name for a lot of oem-thingies.
    Cheap hifi-sets from Harman/Kardon were sold under the name, also the UHER-tramp portable stereo. Honestly I must say, besides a Telefunken- and early Grundig boxes I know NONE (...and I had quite a LOT) in a quality made - not even close - to the standards of this deck...

Don't get me wrong, I like your box a lot !!!

nickeccles likes this.
  12. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

No clues inside really as to who made it - maybe there are aka's of this model?

13. autoreverser

I'm almost sure that I used to own a SIEMENS looking exactly the same - it should be - as I wrote - either a Sanyo or a Sharp
    There were quite a few Sharp's sold in germany with the UHER-logo...