1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video/DVD through a TV Ghetto Blaster

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Big Bad John, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Panasonic TR1200G TV Radio Cassette.jpg View attachment 3317

How do I connect a Video/DVD player to a machine like this?, RF lead didn't work, no scart socket.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've got a nice little collection of Watchmans and TV Boxes, only 1 or two have RF or composite inputs. I tried using a cable converter the other day but I'm missing something (digital converter?). The guy on retrothing.com just hooked up one of the Roku's to his older tv, kind of cool. If you haven't seen the website get ready to waste a couple days, lots of cool stuff on there although it's rarely updated these days.
    http://www.retrothing.com/

3. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Well I was told I just need a modulator, I hope this works because I've had an absolute gut full of expensive failures, I might as well have just bought a cheap TV on eBay or in a charity shop in the first place

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Well the modulator idea worked but the TV tube has blown, I could hear sound but there was no picture, for a while there was a thin line on the screen but even that's gone now.

Why does this world hate me so much?, everyone else gets technical jobs done with no problems but all I get is problems, everything I touch turns to shit. Well it's World War Three this summer - on me.

I can only hope it's not the actual tube that's gone but some small component that'll cost less.

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

As you are in the USA did you see this thread:

http://stereo2go.org/forums/threads/sears-tv-micro-cassette-boombox-rare-bird.620/

How much are old VCRs going for over there ?

With something like a Watchman you might be able to get away with just wrapping the VCR antenna cable around the Watchman antenna. I have a few including the Sony with the sideways CRT so I will have to try it one day.

6. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Nah, I'm in the UK not in the USA, we could probably do with some American politicians over here, ours can't be trusted - especially with Brexit, Theresa May's up for it but the rest seem to be out to throw spanners in the works.

Anyway, those pocket TVs won't pick up TV any more, I think there are DVB ones but they'll cost a mint and would be too big to go in your jeans pocket. I have just bought a Panasonic TR1200G recently, got a modulator to run the VCR/DVD machine through it but I got sound and no picture, something's blown, hopefully not the tube.

As for VCR's, I usually see them in charity shops at up to £15 but my dual unit is rented, when I get the Panasonic fixed I'll ask the guy to install a scart socket even if he has to make a rectangular hole in the casing so I can play VHS videos or DVDs.

Don't know if there's such a thing as a DVB card small enough to fit inside a ghetto blaster though mine is quite a big unit, weighs a ton!

Panasonic TR 1200G front.JPG Panasonic TR 1200G rear.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017