1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 silver Sanyo's in my collection now

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Ny935, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Ny935

Ny935 Member

Checked a few garage sales this weekend and scored my first silver boxes. My other boxes are the big Lasonics. I picked up a Sanyo m9935k and a m9820. Got the pair for $25, which I think is fair. Both are in good/great shape. Antennae, battery covers and all switches there and working. The 9820 needs a good cleaning on the switches. The 9935 has a really nice sound with just a tone control. That one has been playing since I got it, even cassette plays but no rewind or fast forward. I really like the look of the 9935 with its big speakers and bracket inside it. IMG_20170701_214026.jpg IMG_20170701_215729.jpg IMG_20170701_214026.jpg

2. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Great score! The Sanyo M9820 is elegant and essential, like so many of this size and with the same basic options. But the Sanyo M9935K, well that's a cult box -- at least for me. You wouldn't believe, given that I love this brand and I have most of its iconic units (even some of the rarest). Yet this fairly common boombox has so far escaped my radar. Still looking for one... :)

3. Ny935

Ny935 Member

Thanks Samovar. The 9820 reminds me of my first box, the mx620, with the brushed front plate and a touch of blue around the knobs. Pretty basic boxes, and glad I got them for my collection. You'll find yours too, the hunt is half the fun :)

4. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Ohhh, you had a MX-620 as a kid? :eek: That's a very iconic box, I am lucky enough to have found one (actually two, but the second has a very difficult problem to solve at the tape deck).

In my opinion the M 9820 looks more like the MX-320, with maybe something of the M9916K ;)

All these boxes share the same family air, most of them do not have advanced or fancy features (most notably, they tend to lack a line-in/phono socket) but all have an elegant minimalist design that makes them desirable :)

5. deech

deech Well-Known Member

2X Sanyo = Greatness .
    Fantastic Scores, the M9935 is iconic as already stated .

6. Ny935

Ny935 Member

Thanks Deech. I did not know the M9935 was iconic, really liked the look of it, with the chrome knobs on top and big speakers in the front. You don't see many posts about those models, and I was thrilled so had to make a post:headphones:

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

Great stuff! The UK doesn't have anything like the amount of great boxes still sitting around car boots in other countries, especially the USA. I would love to go to some car boots and garage sales there!

8. deech

deech Well-Known Member

More than Iconic i d say . Its a light box you can take it anywhere with you.

Here is a link with some Ricky Flores photography .

http://theredlist.com/wiki-2-16-601-788-view-portrait-1-profile-flores-ricky.html

First pic is called ''Johnny on the box'' back from 1984 taken on Fox Street South Bronx NYC .

ricky flores.jpg

Some Graffiti by Brazilians Ananda and Izolag inspired by the same pic.

http://www.latinorebels.com/2015/08...s-turn-south-bronx-into-a-street-art-gallery/

rf.jpg

Oil on Canvas by the same artists with the same box.

http://streetartnyc.org/blog/2015/0...ky-flores-through-august-10-at-bronxartspace/

rf2.jpg

Stencil on Canvas with the Sanyo M-9935K

tumblr_naxgkya4251r36mdmo1_500.jpg

The Same BoomBox was used at the Terminator Salvation 4 Movie
    (Will upload pics later as there used to be a dedicated topic from the Old Site for this
    and now i cant seem to find them anywhere.
    It was in the section Boomboxes or walkmans seen at the movies)

UPDATE: Here is the link
    (you have to scroll down a bit and i think pics are vanished butat least i ve managed to find the link back from 2014)

http://stereo2go.org/topic/terminator-salvation-sanyo-m-9935.htm

Here are some new pics :
    vlcsnap-2017-07-05-20h28m48s719.png

vlcsnap-2017-07-05-20h29m00s336.png

Plus a pic from my collection of some 9935s

DSC04721.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Simon likes this.
  9. Ny935

Ny935 Member

Deech thanks for the awesome pics and info. Need to watch Terminator again and spot the box. You have a great collection of 9935s! I really like the green one:nodding::thumbsup:. I think I seen a 9935 on a t-shirt, have to get it now.

10. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I never paid much attention to the 9935 but it looks great in the pics above...