1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few of my CD players

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by mrp32Dave, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

As well as collecting Boomboxes, Walkman and Discman I also collect vintage CD players, so today I decided to set up some of my favourites and have a listening session. I decided it was about time some of these got some use, several haven't been used for some time.

First up is a Sony CDP-101 I've had this for at least 10 years, this player still doesn't really look dated amazing considering it was the first commercially available player in 1982, but was technically advanced compared to others released very shortly afterwards, with it's remote control, digital display and sliding tray loading draw.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's a very nice Meridian MCD their first CD player, based on a Philips CD101, but the electronics were heavily modified by Meridian, when new in 1983 it actually cost almost twice as much as the CD101.
    I haven't heard a CD101 but the Meridian is apparently far superior, it does sound good though very analogue. I'm fortunate to have found one in this condition, the finish is very easily damaged and will chip if knocked.
    Marantz also sold the CD63 this too based on the CD101 but unlike the Meridian it was basically just in a different colour finish and re-badged.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

This is another Meridian their 207 which is a two piece machine with a separate CD transport. this is also in very nice condition, these often have damage to the glass fronts either chips or worn away lettering. This uses a Philips CDM2/10 and the complete mechanism slides out in the draw. The control box for the transport is also a pretty nice preamp, this example has the optional Phono board installed. I like the sound of this one, very neutral but with amazing clarity and detail.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Next is a Linn Mimik again in very nice condition, this is a bit bland looking and doesn't look like anything special, but is a very nice player.

8.jpg

9.jpg

This one is my personal favourites the mighty Marantz CD73, who needs a digital display when you have all those wonderful LED's. This is a heavy machine and very well, with that amazing disc loading draw and clamp, although heavy the draw bangs when fully opened and closed and will move the player on it's plastic feet this is how they all are, I have put small rubber pads on them which prevents this. This also is good sounding player, not quite as good as the Meridian MCD but close, they both have the impressive Philips CDM1 mechanism which could partly explain their sound. I also have the matching remote unit for this, a very hard to find accessory.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

And finally a Technics SL-P1200B this is the professional version with balanced XLR outputs designed for studio use and this where this one came from. This machine is very well used and has a lot of marks and scratches, but was very cheap. This is a very heavy player at around 15 kg this is mostly from the huge anti resonant base and a substantial die cast chassis. Although this player does sound very good it's a bit on the bright side for my current system, the best thing though is disc reading speed it's so fast takes around 1 sec to read the TOC and very quick from track to track.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Well that's my favourite players from my collection with the Marantz CD73 being my number 1 favourite.

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    nickeccles and retro like this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Nice collection Dave and good write up. I concur with you on the Marantz, that was my fave to. I guess its hard to resist those big ol LED's and the build quality looks so good

3. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Nice, very nice collection, but I`m sad, because I found a Marantz like yours at my nearest Cash converters store, but I did`t bought it:badmood:

4. mrp32Dave

Yeah the Marantz is a wonderful machine, I think all the early CD players were very overbuilt to make sure they didn't fail, which would have been rather embarrassing for the manufactures being their flagship machines. Testimony to this high build quality is that they're still working almost 35 years later!
    I often forget though how expensive these were, here's a couple of scans from Comet in What Hi-Fi dated October 1983!

002.jpg

001.jpg

nickeccles likes this.
  5. mrp32Dave

I'd be sad too :frown:, what was their price?

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

A really nice collection. I'm glad you included a shot of the Marantz with it's drawer open, showing the radial swinging laser pickup
    which was unique to Philips and their subsidiaries.

Including the Comet advert was great and makes you wonder what your collection would have cost new.
    I think that what happens is that when a product is new and the electronics inside are expensive (say £200) the
    mechanical designers can justify spending a large amount on the case etc. The same thing happened with the first
    Colour TVs etc which originally came in elaborate real wood cases.

Somewhere I have a book from the early 1980s on the history of sound recording from the wax cylinder through 78s etc.
    The last couple of pages introduce the CD as a new format which has only just been launched. A comment is that at £550
    they can't believe the manufacturers are making a profit on their CD players and that they are probably selling them at a
    loss to try and increase interest in the format.

7. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

it's sad to say. those early cdp's are the best. cdm1-2, crown dac's. but TT's are still better. ok, i use more cd than vinyl, vinyl is a hassle but, vinyl is far superior. it's the convenience. let alone R2R. in all these years, quality wise, it only got backwards. only convenience got forward. must admit i mostly use mp3.i have an EMT TT, which is farrrr superiour compare to a studer d730 or emt 981. but stil i use mp3's most. tja

8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

mrp32Dave: thank you for sharing! I was not aware of the Marantz remote control unit with a drawer for the actual remote, it is soo neat!
    At Naim Audio forum there was a lengthy discussion on where to store CD puck when not in play. It ended when someone (finally!) ridiculed them suggesting to request production of a special box with Naim logo, LED, etc.
    If I ever find that thread I will ask for you permission to use the photo, or will post a link to here.