1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIWA HS-PX 997

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by George, Jan 14, 2017.

1. George

George New Member

Hello there.
    I have a belt problem on this model.
    There are two belts.
    21mm and 41mm internal diameter.
    Both are 0.7mm thick.
    Does anyone know where I can buy them?.
    I found a belt approximate dimensions that I merged with super glue,and it works great 20170102_125543.jpg
    with barely audible flutter.
    20161229_081225.jpg

2. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Try the user mihokm on ebay, he has many belt kits for sale and he might have something for your AIWA.

I had a technics walkman once with two belts and when the tape was driven by the secondary capstan W&F was up too the roof; when the primary capstan was used play quality was decent, but with the secondary capstan guitar solo's sounded more like howling cats. Maybe the belts kit I bought back then was not top notch, but two belts walkman's are known for very high W&F.

3. George

George New Member

Yes,exactly.Marian don't have these belts.For now,it works.

4. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Have you asked him directly ? He might not have the kit, but he might have belts that suit you AIWA.
    In 2012 I bought some belts from a Stereo2Go user from India. I do not remember his user name and I'm not sure he still sells belts; back then he had belts of all sizes, including small sizes for two belts walkman's.
    Maybe long time members of Stereo2Go have more memory than me :) All my correspondence with him has been lost due to the recent platform change.

5. George

George New Member

I asked him over Ebay.
    He told me that there are only 43mm and larger.

6. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

7. George

George New Member

8. George

George New Member

These are 22mm and 30mm.
    Hm,I do not know,however,super glue gel type works.These Aiwa walkmans are ungrateful for repair.

9. bub

bub Active Member

This (7ZM) mechanism isn't exactly the brightest design, is it? It's like they took the worst of the RQ-SX series and removed the belt buffer for the geared reverse capstan flywheel. This amplifies wow and flutter, especially when the belts are not perfect. Aiwa at this point is controlled by Sony, who had the reliable EX 600 series mechanism.
    If that's the case, why did they decide to separate the belts? Even their earlier 4ZM mechanism is far better in theory. The 7ZM is slightly thinner, sure, but isn't any cheaper to build.

Let me know if you find a source for belts. I'd like a fully working 7ZM Aiwa just to evaluate its performance.

10. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

I once had a RQ-SX and I hated the hell out of it.

IMG_20121222_095148.jpg

It required two small belts with high manufacturing precision, to access the tape transport I had to desolder several connections (there is a limited number of time that can be done before the traces on the PCB starts breaking apart) and to remove the belt from the motor it had to be disassembled with the risk of ruining the alignment...
    It looks like Panasonic did not want those walkman's to be serviced. Beside that, W&F was anyway very high and the tape transport was noisy.

The WM-EX6xx transport is much cleaner and easier to service (I replaced the belt in my wx652 in 10 minutes). But anyway, only the DD serie offers decent W&F even if they are bulky, no autoreverse (beside the DD9) and they eat batteries quite fast.

I still do not understand why they came up with the two belts design; the single belt (while far from perfect) offers definitely better W&F while keeping the design pretty slim.

11. George

George New Member

Another thing I would like to add.
    The smaller belt is timing belt,
    and the mechanism contain encoder switch.It is the two pin swich.
    If belt slips mehanisam not know where the position is and return to the start of operations.
    If the belt is not adequate ff and rew will not work fully.
    I had with this experiment.

12. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

You mentioned that by using super glue you managed to make the right belt ! Can you explain how you did it? Do you mean like you cut the belt and resized it by gluing the ends???
    By the way, The member from India who offered belts was DocP who hasn't been been around for weeks. Hope to see him back.

13. George

George New Member

Yes,I bought a larger diameter belt, cut it to the correct diameter, take the sandpaper, processing ends to glue caught and connect belt.
    Then deal with the attachment point with sand paper.It is finest aluminum paper.
    Then I play some music usually jazz and listen to see if there are vibrations.if they are present i cut the belt for 2mm,and I try again.Sorry for my English.

14. Boodokhan

I like your idea of being creative and this is the first time hear somebody makes belt by cutting and gluing different size belts. Lets see how long your belt lasts

15. George

George New Member

These belts are connected with super 20170117_191409.jpg glue.
    Do you see a place of compound?.

16. George

George New Member

One month since I put them together and still working.

17. Boodokhan

I see some part different color (darker) so probably that is the glued section
    As far as i can see from photo it is side by side gluing rather than end to end. Is that right?

18. George

George New Member

No,it is end to end.

19. George

George New Member

I tried side on side method but there is lot of flutter.

20. George

George New Member

And I am surprised that I was able to connect belts usually I do not do this.But I was impatient.