1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another happy Sony WM-D6C owner! [originally on TH]

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by HiFi22stealth, Aug 31, 2017.

1. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

As suggested by @walkman archive in my introductory thread, here's a copy-paste of my most relevant posts on the thread I created on Tapeheads about my Sony WM-D6C, so that it can be discussed here too! As it can be seen, I slightly scratched the "W" in the "WALKMAN" logo the day that I first took it out on its leather pouch... Not a great deal but of course when I find the time I'll try to fix it! I may follow the recommendations I received on TH... If you have alternative ideas, feel free to suggest them!

The thread on TH (publicly accessible) is this: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=57630

(Those posts contain pictures, so I felt this thread would fit well here in the "Gallery" subforum!)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Moved to Chat. Gallery is for posts that are mainly to show your collection.

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

The D6C is quite a brick but it sounds so great.
    I have never went to the stree with mine but rather kept it for travel or while working.

Very interesting that blue retro grooves tape. I'm so curious to listen to it, as I already saw it in 8-bit guy channel. Congrats on your excellent unit. The hyperbolic one is the best D6C out there.

4. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

Thanks! I'm getting used to the structure of this forum!

It's a very robust unit! Yeah, I went straight-away for the hyperbolic D6C... The thing is, if I wanted to have one, not getting the best one available would've seemed like wasting the money to me! It really feels like 'taking my full-size deck with me'... It has the majority of the essential features for high-quality cassette playback that my Pio CT-W505R also has, so I miss nothing! Recording-wise (although I use it primarily as a player) it's even better than the CT-W505R in one aspect: it could record on Metal tapes if I wanted to, something the Pioneer can't do!

Regarding using the D6C on the street, yes I did it that time, but I think I'll grab my Panasonic RQ-SX52 player most of the times for that kind of usage! It doesn't sound as good and has higher W&F, but it's lighter and fits in any pocket... Also, this way I won't wear out the D6C as fast!

The Retro Grooves tape sounds really good to my ears... Some time ago, I read an entry on your blog about some modern prerecorded tapes you got, which didn't sound very well... I have to say, this one seems to be quite the opposite case, and I can tell right away that it's well made and well duplicated! Also, as far as I know, the tape stock used was BASF, and that sounds like quality to me... :)

Command8 and Jorge like this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I like your attitude! Excellent choice of D6C, BTW!!!
    I have just one D6, and its the one without "C". I like how it is packed with discreet components and since I never use Dolby, there is no pressure to upgrade...

6. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

Thanks! I like using Dolby, but mostly the "B" type, as it doesn't alter the sound as much. Also, Dolby B tapes can be played back on decks which don't have any Dolby capabilities (I have several of those) and still sound good, especially if there's a way (by means of, e.g. a built-in EQ) to tame down on the treble boost applied on the Dolby process...

And yes, discreet components allow for a better sound, although pretty much all the components in my main HiFi setup use ICs and they still sound pretty well to me (although like I've said before, I still have to learn and experience a lot to recognize the characteristics of true high-quality sound!)