1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another mid 60's Gen Xer to join the ranks

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Reflex85, May 16, 2017.

1. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

Greetings, I was very pleased to discover this forum and look forward to sharing my nostalgia with anyone who will listen. Listening to music, making mix tapes and always have a boombox within reach has been my religion for a very long time. My first music memories are of KISS 8 tracks in 1978 but in 1980 I was 13 when I discovered heavy metal and cassette tapes... by 83 the new-wave invasion was in full swing.. by 86 I was worshiping Bowie, U2 and Billy Idol... 88 was the beginning of my Punk stage listening to INFA RIOT and Black Flag..89 brought me to Scorpions, Def Leppard, Dokken.. I continued buying current music up till about 1992 which ended with Freestyle dance mixes and New Order. Now-a-days I am pretty much grounded in early 80's metal.

I have always had a Technics dual cassette deck at home and have had 3 different boomboxes ( JVC PC55, Magnavox 8443 , GE 5258) which I still own.

My favorite blank cassette is the (red/gold) Maxell UDII CrO2 which I bought by the case and stacked deep. I used my last one sometime around 2000 and have since been purchasing a 3 pack on ebay from time to time. ** I am very intrigued by the Teac reel tape which I have never seen until I saw one on the forum. I think I must have one!!

When not at work I spend most of my time in my detached garage just listening to cassettes and drinking a beer or two. On my birthday each year I make a mix cassette which is something I have done since 1983. I have a very broad collection of 80's promo posters which decorate the walls of my garage.

This looks like a great place, I look forward to many future discussions.

Word up

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. bronco

bronco Active Member

:)Welcome to S2G!
    A cool idea to make a mixtape on every birthday. I think I'm going to imitate you!:D

Reflex85 likes this.
  3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Welcome! Love the idea of an annual mix tape

4. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the board!
    I usually do mixtapes every quarter with the songs I like the most but this looks like a good idea indeed.

5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nice story! :thumbsup:
    Welcome to S2G, mate! :wavey:

6. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Annual mixtape, what a cracking idea. That will be a good nostalgia trip to look back on to and will show what you were feeling most that year. Im going to steal that idea.

Welcome to the boards fella