1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best portable amp?

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by walkman archive, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Hi there,

I know this question is mainly for @TooCooL4 which is an expert in that area, but I'd know if someone has more info.
    I'd like an portable amp both for my walkmans and also for the phone. After looking at some, I think I could go for an Ray samuels Predator, a chord Mojo or a RHA L1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one I like the most is the L1 because it has bass treble controls, that I find essential when you're in (not very) noisy environments, like train or the street, to compansate both the lack of bass in this environments and the excess of treble in many digital music.
    I'll use it mainly with my BOSE AE2

Anyone has experience with any of them?

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Well I am not an expert like you think I am, i just know what i like but thanks for the complement.

I have listened to the Chord Mojo, it’s overrated and overpriced. I would say listen before you buy and make your own judgement.

I would say in your list you should also try the Oppo HA-2

AllHand likes this.
  3. TooCooL4

If you really want to push the boat out try the Shure KSE1500 electrostatic IEM, i used it with my DC2 and it sounded amazing. The best sounding electrostatic IEM i have heard, it sounded better than the Stax SR001 MKII i had years ago. The only down side for me is the Shure lacked the sparkle of the top end that i like, for that reason i could never buy one.

It is worth a try if you have the money, it's a amp / DAC / headphone combo. If you can find it, check it out and see what you think.

I have a picture of it with my DC2 somewhere, i will did it out.

Shure KSE1500

4. Erniejade

Erniejade Member

5. Erniejade

Erniejade Member

I almost forgot, define portable? Like take it with you on an airplane or portable meaning small to use plugged in? If small plugged in, look into Woo Audio. Some darn good tube headphone amps out there. I prefer a slightly warmer sound but, demand clarity that doesn't sound analytical.

6. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Wow..... The shure is really special.... But i think here in Belgium, it is an impossible tast to test them..

7. walkman archive

I prefer to avoid IEMs at this moment. I prefer closed circumaural but small and foldable ones.

I didn't know that one, but looking at it seems that its DAC doesn't work with smarphone but only with computers. And it doesn't have battery...

That brand is really high end. I see they have a portable one but it's way out of my budget.
    However, that remembers me that ALO Audio has some similar and they have a valve portable map but also waay out of budget.

8. TooCooL4

DC2 & Shure KSE1500

DC2 & KSE1500.jpg

9. walkman archive

Well, like a tobacco packet more or less.

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I live happily with RS Hornet and SR-71, do not even audition new offerings. Been ogling Lars&Ivan amp because of its micro-tube but cannot justify buying without listening first.
    When using Pono player there is no need for extra amp, esp in balanced mode.

11. TooCooL4

The Pono player is the only digital player I have used that gets on with the job of playing music without drawing attention to itself, which is a good thing.

12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Recording from LP or cassette onto Pono is on my to-do list. A-D converter that I have is real cheap but since my ears like cassettes recorded from lowly 1st Gen Discmans, maybe I will like the result, who knows...

13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I like the design of SONY PHA-3

IMG_1623.JPG

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Me too! I like the protective sleeve around (analog) volume! Maybe gonna sell one of my RS amps to get it ;-)
    Did you have a chance to listen to Lars&Ivan micro-valve amp? I wanna have it but my experience with Fiio and HiFiMan offerings taught me not to go after Chinese "hi-end" blindly.

15. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Never heard about "Lars&Ivan". Do they have authorized dealer in LA area?

16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Don't think they do. They sell direct but who needs a headache of shipping back to China?... I learned about them from Head-Fi But buying stuff based on other folks reviews is a fast track to madness. With one exception of spending $10k on Shunyata power cords and Hydra, all my other Review-based buys ended on Audiogon or eBay...

17. walkman archive

That L&I looks nice and I like the tubes, like those in me desktop ALO The Panam, but I think the best contender to my taste remains the RHA L1 because of its bass&treble controls.
    I'm convinced that this simple controls are the key to the full enjoyment. How many times a song sounds too bright? Or with los bass? Or maybe too dark? (especially with 60s recordings).
    With digital files I found that the best solution is not to push the bass but to lower the highs (2 to 6 dB depending on the song). And then, with some, push the bass a bit (2-3 dB or so).
    Some of the portable amps have bass bosst, but the only only one that seems to have treble too is the L1.

SONY always had excellent designs. Even Apple inspired in SONY's design for their first iPhone, as demonstrated with proofs in the Samsung court.

Boodokhan likes this.
  18. walkman archive

Sorry toocool, forgot to reply this.
    Yes, I'll listen to it. There's a store here that has it. they will receive an unit this week, so I'll update you with news. I'll take my iphone, the DC2 with BOSE AE2 and Beyerdynamic DT990.
    I'll take the CMoy for direct comparison :)

19. TooCooL4

No problem, i would be interested in hearing what you think.

20. walkman archive

I went yesterday to test the RHA L1 amp with my Walkmans in my iPhone and also my CMoy.
    I took my Bose AE2, that are my main headphones for the street and travel but also the Beyerdynamic Dt990 which I use sometimes at hotels
    The Walkmans were the DD33, DC2 and DD9.
    At first sight, I realized that there wasn't a big difference between the walkman itself and the walkman connected to the amplifier, except when using the tone controls, which are great
    The great difference came when using the iPhone, both through the headphone out and even more with the DAC.
    I'll publish more information when I have time to write a bit

IMG_7566.JPG IMG_7567.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2017