Birding LiveLand Found!

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Mister X, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Before Stereo2Go, the previous owner had a sister site with all kinds of cool Walkmans, boomboxes and watches. http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/walkman/sony/1982-sony-releases/
    One of the coolest units he had down on the page was the Sony Birding LiveLand Microcassette Recorder, a recorder for bird watchers available only in Japan.

I've been know to do some late night bidding with so-so results, but I got really lucky this time without knowing it. I picked up this junked Sony M-1000B Microcassette Player without noticing that it had the "B" and that was the designation for the ultra-rare Birding LiveLand Model. When I unwrapped it I noticed it wasn't the normal M-1000 silver but a really nice shade of brown, then a little research to discover it was that model I thought I would never find.

DSCN0981sm.jpg

2. Mister X

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Cool item, is it stereo?

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Thanks T-ster, yes it plays and records in stereo with jacks for both. I was checking out all the accessories in the brochure and it would be really cool to have it all decked out, that portable mixer is definitely on the find list now.

5. Mister X

I finally was able to pair up the Birding LiveLand with the Sony MX-10L Mixer! What a cool little unit, channels 1 and 2 are for stereo and it looks like 3 and 4 are mono inputs. I was out on a jobsite today and a few people walked by taking photos of birds, I asked if anyone still recorded birds and apparently they do. I grabbed an AWIA Stereo Microphone for the photo but I'll get some Sony's to match, they're still pretty common since they were used for any recorders, I just need to find the parabolas now.

DSC_0652sm.jpg

This is from Billboard 1982, information on this mixer is pretty limited.

Billboard 1982.png

Silver965 likes this.