1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boombox Designers

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Machaneus, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Introduction
    Stereo2Go has already the Walkman Designers thread but this site is not only for walkmans, it was like one channel in your portable player not working .This thread is aimed to fix that.

Stereo2Go Boombox community ,from the start, has some of the best boombox enthusiasts in the world.
    Their knowledge ,expertise and their passion is known to anyone who has visited even a few times S2G.
    This thread is dedicated to them and especially to Deech and Samovar for their unrivaled and inspiring boombox expertise /passion combination.
    The Idea
    As has been already mentioned in the Walkman Designers thread the purpose of such a topic is to give credit to the people, " the inventors", that designed these marvelous machines that we collect and enjoy.

The information is gathered mostly from patent applications and these are scarce and difficult to find.
    So now you have both, Boombox and Walkman Designers S2G channels working ,use your balance slider to suit your personal preferences and enjoy!

TAKEMI EBATA - YOICHI HISANO

Patent title :Combined radio receiver and cassette tape recorder
    Inventors: Takemi Ebata - Yoichi Hisano.
    Assignee :Matshushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd.
    Filed: Dec. 11, 1975
    CLAIM :The ornamental design for a combined radio receiver
    and cassette tape recorder, as shown.

75.png ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KEIZO KUSHIDA - TOSHIO IGO - MUNENORI FUJIMOTO - KUNIO HOSHINO

SATORU USAMI - KAZUMASA TAKENAKA - KIKUO OHTA - BENITO MISHIRO

Patent title :Combined tape recorder and radio receiver
    Inventors :Keizo Kushida-Toshio Igo-Munenori Fujimoto-Kunio Hoshino-Satoru Usami-Kazumasa Takenaka-Kikuo Ohta-Benito Mishiro
    Assignee: Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,
    Ltd., Kadoma, Japan
    Filed: Sep. 27, 1978
    Foreign Application Priority Data
    Apr. 4, 1978 [JP] Japan
    CLAIM :The ornamental design for a combined radio receiver
    and cassette tape recorder, as shown.

78.png
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KUNIO HOSHINO - KAZUMASA TAKENAKA - TERUYUKI NISHIMOTO -

SHUHEI TAGUCHI - KIKUO OHTA -BENITO MISHIRO

Patent title : Combined radio receiver and tape recorder
    Inventors : Kunio Hoshino-Kazumasa Takenaka-Teruyuki Nishimoto-Shuhei Taguchi-Kikuo Ohta-Benito Mishiro
    Assignee : Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd., Osaka, Japan
    Filed: Sep. 30, 1980
    Foreign Application Priority Data Apr. 2, 1980 {JP} Japan
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined radio receiver and tape recorder, as shown.

80B.png
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    YOICHI HISANO - TAKAO OKADA - IWAO NAKAJIMA - BENITO MISHIRO

Patent title :Combined cassette recorder and radio receiver.
    Inventors :Yoichi Hisano-Takao okada-Iwao Nakajima-Benito Mishiro
    Filed : Jun. 9, 1980
    Foreign Application Priority Data Dec. 20, 1979 [JP] Japan
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined cassette recorder and radio receiver, as shown and described.

80c.png -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TAKAO OKADA - SETSUO MIYANAGA - BENITO MISHIRO

Patent title : Combined cassette recorder and radio receiver.
    Inventors :Takao Okada-Setsuo Miyanaga-Benito Mishiro
    Filed: Feb. 4, 1980
    Foreign Application Priority Data Aug. 2, 1979 [JP] Japan
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined cassette recorder and radio receiver, as shown and described.

80d.png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Ball000, retro, samovar and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Awesome topic you've just started, mate! :thumbsup:

Machaneus likes this.
  3. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Are you getting this info from the Boombox Creators website?

4. Machaneus

Nope ! I don't have to. As already mentioned at the beginning of this thread the source of information (so far) is from patent applications found on the web as in most cases is the source for the Boombox Creators website.
    Boombox Creators website doing a great job trying to reach and contact the parents of boomboxes.
    Here you'll find the birth certificates with details you probably wont find elsewhere.

Mystic Traveller and Boodokhan like this.
  5. Machaneus

Thanks Mystic Traveller !:)

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  6. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Wonderful effort sotza, this is already the thread of the year in my book! If the job you started concerning the Panasonic units could be expanded to other brands, we may soon have a clear map of the boombox designers, no matter how in leopard-skin format. This idea of yours -- looking for patents -- is probably the Columbus' egg, but genial never the less.

If we can get better information concerning the originators of certain designs, a lot of questions will be answered, starting form the age-old problem concerning a.k.a.s Please go ahead, I wish I could support this search myself but at the moment I am overwhelmed by work and I barely have the time to connect. I promise I'll do my best to give a helping hand. Meanwhile KUDOS to you and this marvellous thread! :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    retro and Machaneus like this.
  7. Machaneus

Thanks Samovar for your kind words! Indeed as information gradually will be added we may start seeing many things that we could not in any other way ,like a specific design element that we can relate to a specific designer and so on.
    Like archaeologists there is much digging, many wishes but in the end of the day you have only your finds ,not much of a choice but is not bad either.
    Your helping hand to the search (and I hope not limited to) is much more than welcome, whenever you can !:)

8. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

This is simply amazing, just so good to preserve this history

Machaneus likes this.
  9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent topic. Thanks Sotza

Machaneus likes this.
  10. Machaneus

11. Machaneus

Some more from the same era and manufacturer.

Katsutoshi Kido - Benito Mishiro - Kikuo Ohta -Kunio Hoshino - Satoru Usami - Shinzo Murakami

Patent title : COMBINED RADIO AND CASSETTE TAPE RECORDER
    Inventors: Katsutoshi Kido- Benito- Mishiro- Kikuo Ohta-Kunio Hoshino-Satoru Usami-Shinzo Murakami
    Assignee: Matsushita Electric IndustrialCo.Ltd., Osaka, Japan '
    Filed: Jun. 23, 1982
    Foreign Application Priority Data Dec. 23, 1981 [JP] Japan
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined radio and cassette tape recorder, as shown.

C100.png
    This is a link with a superb RX-C100 review from @retro including patent illustrations, it is just an image from the old site , mostly intact but obviously no links working.
    http://archive.is/7cgmN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akio Ohno - Kikuo Ohto - Takao Okada - Satsuki Yabunaka - Benito Mishiro

Patent title : COMBINED TAPE RECORDER AND RADIO RECEIVER
    Inventors: Akio Ohno-Kikuo Ohto-Takao Okada-Satsuki Yabunaka-Benito Mishiro
    Assignee: Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd., Osaka, Japan
    Filed: Nov. 12, 1982
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for combined tape recorder and radio receiver, as shown and described.

C50FRONT+GREENpng.png
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manao Nakamura - Katsutoshi Kido - Kikuo Ohta

Patent title : COMBINED RADIO RECEIVER AND TAPE RECORDER
    Inventors : Manao Nakamura - Katsutoshi Kido - Kikuo Ohta
    Assignee: Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd., Osaka, Japan
    Filed : Jul.6, 1983
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for combined tape recorder and radio receiver, as shown and described.

f3 final.png

Attached Files:

Mystic Traveller and Reli like this.
  12. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

A while back s2g member "H Designer" posted about his time as a designer for Hitachi. He worked on some of the later 3D models amongst other things. The post appears long gone, unfortunately.

13. koleloi

koleloi New Member

Great work. Thank you very much!

14. Machaneus

Another iconic brand.

KAZUO KAWABE - TSUTOMU YAMASAKI

Patent title : COMBINED TAPE RECORDER DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER AND RADIO
    Inventors : Kazuo Kawabe - Tsutomu Yamasaki
    Assignee : Sharp Corporation ,Osaka,Japan
    Filed : Sep. 10, 1986
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined tape recorder ,digital audio player and radio, as shown and described.

WQCD15.png
    Sharp_WQ_-_CD15HBC.jpg

TATSUO MORI

Patent title : COMBINED TAPE RECORDER AND RADIO
    Inventor : Tatsuo Mori
    Filed : Jun. 8 ,1988
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined tape recorder and radio , as shown and described.
    TATSUO.png
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAKOTO TAKIMOTO

Patent title : COMBINED DIGITAL AUDIO DISC PLAYER , RADIO TUNER AND TAPE RECORDER
    Inventor : Makoto Takimoto
    Filed : Nov. 13 , 1990
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined digital audio disc player , radio tuner and tape recorder , as shown and described.

MAKOTO.png

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  15. Machaneus

@isolator42 : I hope "H Designer" to repost again. It seems there is a chance the database of the old forum to be resurrected so we may be able to read again his posts.
    @koleloi : Thank you koleloi !:)

16. Machaneus

JAMES H. FRAKES , Jr.

James H. Frakes ,Jr. was an American industrial designer ,he had worked at Westinghouse ,at General Electric / Thomson and he was many years very active in early Corvette restoration.

Sadly he passed away on Oct. 5 2012 ,his colleague and friend Paul Jordan remembered him as a "true gentleman" that he "had such a contagious laugh and smile" , "Whenever I check the time on the beautiful rosewood schoolhouse clock Jim hand made for me I feel his spirit looking down on me" , another of his friends recalls: "I still have light switches that he designed in my house"
    Jim Porter :"I first started working with Jim in the 70's as one of the mechanical designers at GE Audio Dept in Utica. I worked with Jim on several of his clock radio designs & he was constantly challenging my ability as designer & the capabilities of our manufacturing facilities. "

Patent title : COMBINED CASSETTE PLAYER AND RECORDER AND RADIO OR SIMILAR ARTICLE
    Inventor : James H. Frakes ,Jr.
    Assignee: General Electric Company, New York, N.Y.
    Filed: May 12, 1980
    CLAIM : The ornamental design for a combined cassette player and recorder and radio or similar article, as shown.
    ge boombox.jpg

T-ster and Mystic Traveller like this.
  17. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Amazing dedication to research here, love it.

Machaneus likes this.
  18. Patron

Patron Active Member

Sotza , this is such a great thread , thanks for for big effort

Machaneus likes this.
  19. Machaneus

@T-ster and @Patron :Thank you guys for your appreciation to this thread, it is a pleasure sharing this information with you !

Thank you T-ster , had to think for a moment about that. Actually what strongly motivates me is a strange feeling like I live in a world where books have printed on the front cover the name of the publisher (brand logo) but nowhere is mentioned the author (designer) ,even worse it is difficult ,or more likely impossible, to find the names even if you ask ! Anyway will keep going as long information is available and time allows. Thank you all.