1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Columbian here

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by 62vauxhall, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall New Member

First, I must confess I'm a 2 channel home stereo enthusiast. Although I spent over 30 years in the audio trade with several employers, I have only ever owned one Walkman. That was a Sony WM-D6C which I used as the head unit for a car stereo. I do however remember quite well the first Walkman carried by the dealer I was with in 1980 which was the TPL-S2 - it was $300 Canadian.

More resently I acquired a TPL-S2 and (again) a WM-D6C, both of which need transport work. I did try installing belts in the former but chickened out being intimidated by the small parts. It went to a shop to complete belt replacement but there was little if any improvement. The WM-D6C is in need of similar help.

I thought to try asking in this forum if there are any Walkman repair facilities in Canada that can be recommended. I do not think the local shop I dealt with previously were all that Walkman savvy.

I don't know if I'll pursue it but I also have a couple of other "expensive when new" Walkmen from different manufacturers that could also benefit from some TLC.

2. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Hi Gary: Nice to see you join up. Plenty of knowledgeable members here. I would consider myself still learning when it comes to portable stereos. I would like to be more active here, once I complete a few things around the house.

Nando.

3. davebush

davebush Active Member

just give it a go gary....thats how we all learnt.. im a bit shy of small parts too but i managed to repair a wm-100 with belts and a spring....good look

4. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

5. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall New Member

Thanks!

As mentioned, I did start the belt replacement process with the TPL-S2. Although I managed to get one belt on, a contributing factor for my not wanting to go further was lack of tools.

Before even starting that project, I searched around for a Philips screwdriver small enough to fit the "micro screws" holding the case together. The smallest one I'd seen was found at a local electronics store who happen to have a fair assortment specialty tools and such like.

But that screwdriver was still too big. I wound up using the tip of a pocket knife blade but quickly saw how easily I was going to damage the tiny screw heads.

For those here who do fine repair work like this, what tools (screwdrivers in particular) do you use and where do you get them?

6. davebush

davebush Active Member

watchmakers screw drivers