1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush br8411

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by speedy2.0, Nov 9, 2017.

1. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Found this on tapeline for £10, the deck door needs attention as the latch is out of alignment but both radio and tape play nicely. It’s beyond my pay grade to change the belt without desoldering the whole assembly inside... only the 6v power works, battery compartment isn’t alive.

I’m guessing mid 70s?

Attached Files:

2. Brandon

Brandon Member

Id say 70s. I'm trying to think of a redeeming feature from that photo , nice blue dial .

3. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

It has almost no redeeming features, however it does sound fantastic. Nothing to my ear is nicer than a properly worn-in speaker. Fm transmissions are so clean these days that you can hear the Neumann U87 the bbc use

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It looks very similar (but not quite the same) as item 16 in this page from the 1974 Argos catalogue.
    Bush 1974.jpg
    A bargain at £35.95. According to the Bank of England Inflation Calculator that is the equivalent of
    £343 in 2016.

I was surprised to see so many Radiograms in the same 1974 catalogue. Using the same calculation
    they would be over £1000 today. You did get a piece of furniture to put your radios on though.

Take a closer look at the Alba's very strange cassette deck.

It is ironic that both the Bush and Alba brands are now owned by Argos.
    They must have sold enough over the years to think it was worth paying money for the brands.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

There was a lot of Bush at one time but it looks like it fizzled out in the mid-70's. Some of the radios are pretty cool looking but I've never seen one before.

6. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Had to read up on Bush after seeing they are owned by Argos. Basically Bush was named after Shepherd’s Bush in West London, where the BBC owned half the town and Rank Corp owned all the UK cinemas, with the Gaumont at Sheperds Bush being a centrepiece in the history of uk cinema, with bbc broadcasting behind and next door. Gaumont had a radio division, which made and exclusively sold Bush radio units in the foyer but more interesting is that Rank, who bought Gaumont also later partnered/merged with Xerox to build photocopiers.

Rank had exclusive rights to all universal pictures releases and owned 650 cinemas. They also bought the UK paramount pictures arm, after the US Congress decided Hollywood had far too much power in the post war era and forced the bug studios to sell vast chunks of its various empires. Rank also founded Pinewood and owned Ealing studios.

7. Brandon

Brandon Member

Notice the little Rank Logo on your radio :).
    One thing I do know about Bush & Alba in the 80s and 90s all there equipment was total cheaply made Crap.

Does not stop me collecting the odd thing though.

8. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The Bush BR-5906 was very good quality, it was exactly like this but branded Bush:

9. Longman

During the 1960s Bush produced their own radios, such as the classic TR82

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/AlewaV2BRPiNbthQKrFIUw

As noted on Wikipedia they formed a joint venture to make TVs with Toshiba who then took it over entirely
    My Toshiba LCD TV bought in 2009 was one of the last made by them in their Plymouth factory.

By the mid 1970s I suspect that most Bush radios and all the radio cassettes were made by other manufacturers.
    In 1981 my father bought a Bush / Rank 5" black and white TV Clock Radio which I am sure was made by Crown as it looks so
    similar to ones they made.

When the brand name changed hands I suspect that price became more of a priority than quality.

In the UK you can still buy a Bush Radio Cassette, although I wouldn't have much hope for the level of boom.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6206664

10. Brandon

Brandon Member

Attached Files:

11. Longman

Weird on how there are two almost identical pictures on the Argos page. The first one doesn't say Bush but the second one does.
    Perhaps they just photoshopped it in.

12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The new Bush :lollegs:

13. Longman

Not so new. Having not found anything similar in the Argos catalogue I realised the video was two years old.
    For those who couldn't make it to the end I think he was pleased with his £40 purchase.

In real terms I'm sure his Sanyo mono was much more expensive when new.

Providing the thing lasts a few years I'm sure any kid who got one of these would think it was great.
    In thirty years time they will be collectors items :wink2

Update

Just found this

Presumably the price in the description was clearance.
    At £21.99 it was probably less than the Sanyo in actual £s

If they were still available I would get one.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I got one of those from Argos for 17.99 just out of curiosity. Its pretty dreadful. Cheap, flimsy and MONO!
    IMG_4673.JPG

15. Brandon

Brandon Member

Noooo I would have gave you one of mine for free , I could have told you there not very clever units.

16. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

Hehe, I wasn't expecting miracles, but mono? What's that all about!

17. Brandon

Brandon Member

I would say these are for the older generation that want to listen to there tapes and the wireless.

18. A O

A O Active Member

It's worth noting that the inclusion of a VU meter and tape counter was usually found on the slightly better-equipped units.