1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cassette Tapes Revived in Japan

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Ken80s, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Will there be likely return of the Walkman ??

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

seriously i hope not - because whatever they would bring new - it wouldn't have half that vibe than the origin "machines" to me :hmmm

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

That is refreshing! A very Nice shop!
    Does anybody knows what portable recording machine is used for that artist recording???

4. Ball000

Ball000 Member

If cassettes do comeback as new, they need tape band to be made... if it's real, it's good news imho!

Radio Raheem likes this.
  5. sickly_b

sickly_b Active Member

cool shop

6. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

A 30% increase in cassette sales in the US in 2016 is being followed up with continued growth this year but if the quality is like the vintage cassettes we sample the conversion may not last. Your own recordings made with quality gear on the best type IV cassettes is miles ahead of the vintage cassettes. So hopefully this new interest from millennials will be matched by newly issued cassettes on high quality tape by the media production houses. If you're looking to see how big this cassette renaissance is check the "World's biggest cassette store" in Texas (where else) on YouTube. Stunning!

Jorge and Ken80s like this.
  7. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

The link to that massive cassette store in Texas.

Ken80s and Jorge like this.
  8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the prices for Sony Metal Master (w/o metal box, I've never seen those, lucky me!) and TDK "R" (metal case, transparent sides)??? I bought quite a few of those in early 90-ies but cannot remember how much I paid!
    As in the post of crazy Hinduist (removed now from S2G): if you do not remember every single moment of your life, it did not happen... I know that it happened because I still have a few MetalMasters with rub-on letters for PF and Tangerine Dream on the shells (boy, I had a lot of extra time 30 years ago!).

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Silverera Thanks for the tip! Its time for a visit, the store is Huge!!!

Silverera likes this.
  10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

11. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Can't recall the prices then. I bought a box of TDK-MAXG 90's around 9 years ago from a warehouse sale and they were around $30 each then but now people are asking $130 ea. and the Super Metal Master is out of the ball park. I managed to get an opened one but unused on eBay recently. Going to record some Focus from 1974 (Hamburger Concerto) to see how it performs relative to the MA-XG.

Jorge likes this.
  12. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I use TDK MA-XG all the time and new in the shops i paid £9.95 for C90. TDK MA-R £5.95 for C90. Maxell Vertex C90 £12.95. Not sure about the Sony Super Metal Master as my local Hi-Fi show did not sell them but at a guess i would say there were about £17 for a C90 but that is only a guess.

Jorge and Silverera like this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Thank you guys! Feels good that I am not crazy (yet), that prices were lower than today's $50-150. Today its cheaper to hunt down LPs than recording onto these cassettes...

Silverera likes this.
  14. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Ahem....mostly our partners and our adult children think we are crazy.... constantly hearing the "yeah but it's tape" refrain at my place!

Jorge likes this.
  15. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

6£ for a TDK MA-R? Maybe in 1980's?

16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

At least in Chicago in early 90-ies TDK-MA-R was much more expensive than Sony MetalMaster. that much I remember simply because I bought just a few of them, and mostly for the presents.

17. TooCooL4

I said when they were new in the shops, so yes in the 80's

18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@TooCooL4 ... Wow!!! Thanks for the tip! Just checked how much Maxell-s go for nowadays, Vertex-es must be something real special, never ever even met them in my younger days!

19. TooCooL4

I don’t even like the Maxell Vertex, I find it throws the music at me whereas the TDK MA-XG presents the music to me that is the way I can describe those 2 cassettes. Maxell Vertex would not be my first choice of cassette to buy, anything but.

Jorge likes this.
  20. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Really? I dont recall exactly... Where did you found that information? it would be very cool to see an original ad or test that compare all of them...