1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cute and stylish designed walkmans

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by walkman archive, Mar 18, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I'm back to show you which are my most stylish and cute designed walkmans on my collection. I think I don't forget any important model.

All them have a very clean front door, whitout any distracting element. No buttons (except the AIWA PL50, but they are so thin), switches, lamps, displays or ugly element. No nothing. Just a plain metal door with a small window in a simple shape (rectangular or ellipse).

Most Stylish Walkman Series 09.jpg

So those are my most stylish walkmans:

Most Stylish Walkman Series 06.jpg

First one (in no particular order) is the AIWA HS-PL50, a model similar to the superb PX505 but without Dolby C. It has a beautiful shape made in aluminium:

Most Stylish Walkman Series 10.jpg

The Panasonic RQ-S80 was the brand's top model, featuring Dolby C and a 12 laminated core head. It's a very small walkman that offers very high quality sound. Many collectors compare it to some of the best players (SONY DD series):

Most Stylish Walkman Series 11.jpg

The SANYO ES-P7 is probably the most beautiful of all (maybe sharing this first position with the SONY EX-20). It's also the world's thinnest walkman. It has no buttons: everything is commanded by the wired remote. Without it you cannot do anything. Its design reminds me the SONY WM-701C.

Most Stylish Walkman Series 12.jpg

This Kenwood CP-D7 is also very cute. It's inscription "auto reverse" in the front door worsens the design in my opinion, but I finally decided to include it in this group. It features Dolby C and advanced features as many other member in this exclusive group:

Most Stylish Walkman Series 13.jpg

The Sharp JC-K70 is one of the few brushed metal walkmans, and one of the very few that have a text embossed in the metal door, like the Kenwood that comes next.

Most Stylish Walkman Series 14.jpg

There's also another Kenwood: the CP-C7, which has a monolithic design in white (there's also a black version). It also features Dolby C:

Most Stylish Walkman Series 15.jpg

Then it comes the famous and widely known SONY WM-701C. I started a post about it in Stereo2go forums some time ago. This is my white version. In fact, this is the 702, a slightly different version without Dolby C, but with exactly the same design:

Most Stylish Walkman Series 16.jpg

And finally, the gorgeous WM-EX20, a super-cool jewel that it's also one of the most desirable SONY walkmans, and one of the most rare to find. Toghether with the Sharp and the AIWA HS-PX1000 is one of the very few made with brushed metal body.

Most Stylish Walkman Series 17.jpg

I also considered many other models, like the AIWA PX1000, the HS-PL50, the SONY WM-509 or even the WM-EX1HG, but all of them have a not as clean design, worsened by small details (texts, buttons, logos in high contrast, etc...)

However, I'm glad to hear your opinion. Would you add anyone?

PS: Read the original article in my website: http://www.walkman-archive.com/wa/project/cute-and-stylish-designed-walkmans/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Didn't like the rq s80 or the aiwa px 1000, 2 of the most disapointing players iv had, offering a weak sound and mine had been recapped, the panna also had the bass on the remote which i hate, gave both of mine away to members on here, nice post tho Hugo

emsworth likes this.
  3. walkman archive

Yup, those two are dissapointing. The PX1000 doesn't sound as good and the S80 is prone to have audible W&F

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

you got the most beautiful collection Hugo.
    I will also share some photos of my walkmans later

Brutus442 likes this.
  5. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you Hugo. That Sanyo is beautiful. Very avant-garde for it's time I'm sure.

6. walkman archive

Thank you Boodokhan. I'm curious to see your nice collection.
    Yes, Brutus, the P7 is something special. Very special.

7. Boodokhan

8. Boodokhan

9. Boodokhan

10. Boodokhan

11. walkman archive

Very interesting, Boodokhan!
    I have never seen such AIWA! What model is that? That definitely could be added to this list, because of the super-clean design.

The rest I'd not add to this list because although they are very beautiful, they have too much buttons or "stuff" so makes the design a bit "less clean". I made my list based on the premise that they would not have any button in the front (or at least they would be too tiny to not interfere).
    I also have the first sony you posted and it's very nice, with the cross button, but the front has too many stuff. I got it brand new, boxed and I'm saving it for my son when he grows a bit more.
    The blue one is also very nice. I have the grey and red ones, and I have a special feeling with it as it accompanied me during some years in the mid 90s.

The last one, IMHO doesn't match this fine selection. It has a less elegant design, more in line with the late 90s walkman style.

12. Boodokhan

sorry i didnt pay attention to this requirement. You are right about the pictures i posted. many buttons and distructing element. I guess i might have some other walkmans with this requirement.
    About my AIWA i do not recall the model. Will let you know later once i get home.

13. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...those are my favourite design-underdogs: SANYO JJP-100 and JJ-P 101

IMG_3201.JPG IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3203.JPG

The 100 got this wonderful full-metal housing painted with hammerite (original) and the 101 I seriously like for its transparent (piezo or sensor-) buttons. Both work with the same remote, unfortunately I only own one...

One thing special of the 101 is: It came from good old matey Litfan (r.i.p.) and got a place of honour in my vitrine...

14. walkman archive

Great, let us know if you have more stylish ones. This thread can serve as a online 'official' list for that.

That P100 fits into this selection, although the paint is a bit weird to my taste... The 101 has distracting buttons IMHO. Both, however, are very rare and desirable. You are lucky to have both.

15. Boodokhan

16. Boodokhan

IMG_0101.JPG Different color

17. Boodokhan

18. walkman archive

These ones fit much better, specially the first one. The WM-150 IMHO has too many letters and logos but the EX900 fits perfectly.

Boodokhan likes this.
  19. krzysztofm30

krzysztofm30 Member

Hugo, how long you complette your collection ? It's great !

Chris

20. walkman archive

Hi Chris, well I'm almost done with my walkman collection. I have only bought 2 or 3 walkmans last years. Now I think I have around 160 or so...