1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D6C audio cuts off

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by MaxMish, Jun 7, 2017.

1. MaxMish

MaxMish New Member

So I have a second D6C that started having problems >.< Recently it started shutting off music, it would play a cassette for a few minuted and then suddenly the sound shuts off for a few seconds, if I press stop and the play again it starts playing again but then in a few seconds it shuts off again and it keeps going like that.

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Have you changed the belt ? Has this ever been serviced?

3. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Your problem may be the CP301 mute module. I have had several of these fail. Usually the fail gradually, distorting at first and then failing intermittantly before you lose the sound altogether.
    There are a couple of ways you can test for this. Firstly if you freeze the mute module, the sound may come back and sound quite normal for a few seconds until the module warms up again.
    Another way to test is to remove the module altogether. If the module is faulty then the walkman will play without it.
    The problem with running a D6 or D6C without a muting module is that the unit produces loud "thump" sounds when starting and stopping, which are a problem, especially when playing through and amplifier and speakers. The mute module momentarily attenuates the signal by about 44dB when startin and stopping to prevent these thumps. Since I value my speakers and eardrums, I decided to get some replacement modules made up. I now have these for sale on Ebay.
    I hope this helps.