1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDIII vs DD33

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by enryfox, Mar 31, 2017.

1. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

I recently acquired a boxed DDIII which should be the basis on which the DC2 has been built.
    But actually it is a bit disappointing in terms of sound quality compared to a later DD33: the DD33 is brighter and more balanced in frequency while the DDIII is definitely softer. Checking the 10 KHz there is also a slight unbalance in the R-L response while at 1 KHz they are perfectly matched.

The collector who sold me the the DDIII has stated that the DD, DD2 or DD33 sound better than DDIII; I was a bit sceptical but indeed, at least for my unit, it is true.

What is your experience ? Is my unit faulty or is the DDIII somehow inferior ?

thanks

2. bub

bub Active Member

Try Checking for azimuth and for tape skew.

3. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Azimuth is correct, I adjusted it with a reference tape; actually I checked the service manual of some DD walkman's and DDIII, DD30 and DD33 have mostly the same IC:
    • BA3304F pre-amp/EQ-amp
    • NJM2063AM Dolby
    • TA7688F headphone amp
    the DD30 and DD33 also have the megabass IC which is not present in the DDIII; as for the head, the part number is slightly different:
    • DDIII uses 1-543-423-11
    • DD30 & 33 use 1-543-423-21
    The DD and DC2 have indeed completely different IC and head; I do not have the service manual for DDII so I cannot tell. Bottom line - DDIII and DD30/33 should sound mostly the same, any difference might be due to a slightly different head. DD and DC2 are on a different league, but I do not have any of those at hand to compare their sound.

4. bub

bub Active Member

While I only have a 33 and DC2, they are both good performers, no that far from each other.

I might suspect amp capacitors or head defect if everything else is adjusted correctly? I've never heard of capacitor issues on a non DD1/11/22 however so it's unlikely.
    How's the pinch roller and head condition?

5. renzgi

renzgi Member

Hello,
    Enrico DD3 is very little used unit with a perfect fixed center gear.
    I have the device still tested before the sale . I had to find that he sounds quite good.
    The sound character is normal for this walkman.
    What is important with the DD3 is, that the Center Gear runs perfectly as this walkman transfers the clack noise to the headphones.

Dear Enrico,
    Hopefully you can enjoy the Walkman anyway.
    My advice. Look for a DC-2 . And you'll be happy again:reelspin::reelspin:
    Even more eighties can not go.
    GrĂ¼sse,Renato

6. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Hello Renato,
    I'm actually quite happy with the DDIII, it is a very gorgeous looking walkman, much nicer than the DD33.
    Yesterday I fine tuned the left tape guide (not sure why Sony set that guide a bit too high in all DD's I had) and re-checked the head azimuth: on a side to side comparison with the DD33 the DDIII now plays pretty identical.

DC-2 is way too expensive for my budget, and my tapes do not deserve such a high level walkman.

thanks
    bye