Denon Mini System

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Longman, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

For a long time I have been thinking about replacing the JVC Mini system in my lounge with something more capable. I wanted something compact but with plenty of inputs and preferably a remote control. Having recently discovered that Denon made such systems I was lucky enough to win the next auction of an F102 which I believe was the last model of this type.
    Denon F102.JPG

Although only 250mm (9.9") wide the components connect using standard cables rather than the ribbon cables favoured by other manufacturers e.g Technics. The components can communicate to use the remote but this is through a standard 3.5mm stereo cable, so easy to source replacements.

This European model is a slightly odd mixture. New enough to have a DAB tuner (no DAB+ though) but old enough to have a dedicated MiniDisc input. That gives me plenty of inputs; Phono for a turntable (which is very rare on a system this size and age), CD, Tape, MiniDisc, and Aux (labelled iPod on the remote). It has both front and back Aux inputs but I'm not sure if they can be selected independently.
    Denon F102 back.JPG

Now I just need to get a tape deck to go with it , There are several suitable models with even some Buy it Nows on Ebay. The one that matches perfectly has automatic recording level but there are a couple of earlier ones the same width with a manual control. I could even use a full size Denon deck as they have the same interconnect jack.
    Decisions Decisions.

Photos were of some testing in the Kitchen while my wife was at work.
    When I get this set up with one of my Sony FL turntables in the lounge I will post a picture in the home setup thread.

2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Nice… it was this amp you were talking about last time

3. Longman

I wasn't aware of this one back then but was looking for something like it. Doing some more research, by 2009 they had replaced this system with the similar looking F109, but that loses the Tape and MiniDisc inputs, replacing them with just a second Aux in.

4. Tadasas99

Tadasas99 Member

I had denon f100 system, it was reciever tape deck and cd player (same cd player techmoan showed on budget hifi series).
    It was great, remote turned volume knob up and down ;D i got it intended to expand my hifi system, but it didint fit by size so i swaped it to other components.
    it sounded good, and my amp was class A, so it was prety good heater on winter, for real it heated a lot.

Longman likes this.
  5. Longman

The F100 is the same size and quite similar. I am hoping that the cassette decks etc are inter-changable. Looking inside the Receiver about 1/3rd is heatsink so they obviously expect it to dissipate quite a bit of heat.

6. Longman

On Friday an almost matching cassette deck turned up from Ebay.
    Denon DRR 6_5.JPG Denon DRR 6_5 Drawer.JPG Denon DRR 6_5 back.JPG

Sold as spares or repair the only issue noted in the listing was a difficult to open drawer, with the seller suspecting a new tray belt was needed. Since I was the only bidder it was a bargain at £26 delivered
    It turns out the fix was even simpler than than a new belt. The switch that tells the unit when the drawer is out was dirty so it always thought it was out.

The other good news is that it works with the F102 remote. I suspect Denon repackaged the same deck several times as they updated the looks and specs of other parts of their Mini-Systems.

Mister X, Papa and Daniela like this.
  7. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

By the mid 2010's Denon had devolved into more basic systems like this, which has only one aux input

IMG_1279.JPG

8. Longman

Following all the other manufacturers. That was why I was so pleased to find a remote control Mini System with a decent number of inputs, including Phono for a turntable. Some time ago I actually bought a Phono preamp board with the intention of fitting it in one of my Sony FL turntables, but with this it is unnecessary.

9. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

I love these mini systems! They are so neat. I especially like how high end these Denons are. I saw a main amp at a thrift that looked just like that, but it was from Yamaha. I'm sure your Denon there sounds better. You have a wpc rating on the amp?

Incidentally, I'm using a mini system right now too. It's a Kenwood M-7G or Roxy W7 as it was known in Japan.

1984, 40wpc and it sounds pretty great!

20210405_122308.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if I would consider that Kenwood a mini system, going by what I see, right around 8" wide seems to be the average for the little systems. We need to start a mini-systems thread one of these days, they are as facinating as boomboxes.

Recaptcha likes this.
  11. Recaptcha

I'm sure I'm wrong in my definition of what a true mini system is. I refer to anything smaller than the about 17" wide traditional stereo component as mini. These Kenwoods mentioned above are called 'midi' systems officially and measure roughly 13" wide. Their miniaturization and precision leads me to naturally call them mini. Sorry for the confusion.

The Story of ROXY - KENWOOD midi in Japan. | The Stereo Museum (1001hifi.blogspot.com)

Good article on the ROXYs. ^^

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

They really love those old mini & midi-systems on that site, there's some great information there. I've found several mini-systems over the years but the larger systems are very rare; I don't know if they are part of the midi-family but I've always liked the components that have a small height and slightly smaller width, I've been lucky with Technics, they seemed to be the most popular over here.

Recaptcha likes this.
  13. Recaptcha

The larger midi systems are very rare, which is why I'm so lucky to have found mine. I got it for $25 as a set with the OG speakers (S-5G pair) at Goodwill.

I've found a lot of the 'new-class A' Technics stuff over here in America, and the STK's always have issues. I had a particular bad time with an SU-Z400.

14. Longman

At some point I will write an article trying to classify systems. I keep seeing people on ebay misusing the term Radiogram on eBay.
    While there probably isn't an official distinction between Midi and Mini I would use an LP cover as a reference. Technics were the masters of making quality record decks the size of an LP. Look at the SL5 (which I have) SL7 and SL10. Sony's Midis tend to be slightly larger, maybe 13 or 14". I keep telling myself I must not buy a a PS-FL77. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-fl77.shtml
    Actually I must set up my existing gear then I might, although it uses belt drive which sounds very retro when, by the 1980s, all high end Japanese turntables were direct drive.

I wonder if Midi and Mini systems were more popular in the U.K. due to smaller houses or simply appreciation of small things. To me @Recaptcha 's photo looks like something from a furniture advert, where people always seem to have lounge the size of a Tennis Court.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Recaptcha likes this.
  15. Recaptcha

lol, I'm not sure what a 'lounge' is, but the room my stereo is kept in is very large. Don't judge! ;)