1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dixons October 1992 advert - 25 years ago this week

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Longman, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

In a box of donated radio parts I found some sheets of an old newspaper dated October 10th 1992 which had been used for packing.
    One of them had the attached Dixons advert which might be of interest to Boombox, Walkman, CD and social history enthusiasts.

IMG_8974.JPG

Although CDs were becoming popular you can see that CD players are still quite expensive while they aren't even bothering to advertise any Walkmans over £50.

I was surprised to see the Panasonic RXDS101 "Egg" (although I think "Sausage" would be more appropriate for the long thin design)..I didn't realise that they appeared that early

The significance of the "Don't Delay - Buy now bit at the top right is that the £ had dropped out of the ERM(European Exchange Rate Mechanism) less than a month earlier.
    On a different page Abbey National were advertising their " Lowest Fixed Rate Mortgage Ever" at just 10.3%".

Other adverts include low mileage Rover 214s (AKA Honda Civic for those outside the UK) for £7799 while a new Citroen XM executive car would cost £19245 - You could buy a lot of personal stereos for that.

Was this really almost twenty five years ago ? I get the impression that apart from things becoming cheaper there weren't many changes between 1992 and 2002.

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

what a blast from the past, hard to believe that was 25 years ago....