1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you prefer the sound of a good deck or a turntable?

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by walkman archive, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Hard to say, specially when you have top ones. My answer would be pretty long...

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Not really sure of the question here? Are you talking about a copy of music on tape from vinyl? so hence copy Vs original vinyl?

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hugo, Indeed a Very long answer is possible..... for the best detail in audiophile recordings fe jazz classical etc , I prefer to listen to the turntable.... but for general listening without poohaaa , a good deck is easier to handle and more fun to me....

Boodokhan likes this.
  4. walkman archive

Well, I'm making the question in its wider sense: the best vinyl, best musicassettes, cassettes recorded from vinyl...

5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Okay i get the question now, i prefer to listen to the original vinyl.

6. davebush

davebush Active Member

iv only got a technics 1210 and limited vinyl.....im no audiophile either.....any sound ok to my earoles , although i do prefer tape as there is no cracklin

MART - GF9292 likes this.
  7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

depends
    If i have the brand new media or excellent/ mint media then turntable is my 1st choice. otherwise i go for cassettes :nodding:

8. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

turntable. definitively. no doubt.

9. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Cassettes, records take up to much space and you can't walk around with a record lol

autoreverser likes this.
  10. autoreverser

...everything is portable, it's just a fitness-question ;-)

Michelle Knight and sacguy231 like this.
  11. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

thats my fat sorry a$$ out then lol

Brutus442 and autoreverser like this.
  12. autoreverser

...and twelve points go to:

Radio Raheeeeeeemmm !!!

:lollegs:

Brutus442 and Radio Raheem like this.
  13. walkman archive

In absolute terms, I'll go for cassettes, but only for MFSL cassettes. They are unbeatable.
    But for the rest, I'll go for vinyl or excellent vinyl recordings made on cassettes.

14. autoreverser

sorry - what means "MFSL-cassettes" ?

15. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Mobile fidelity sound lab, 100 or so albums were released in this format of special tape stock and and realtime duplication. Sound is supposed to be excellent.

16. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

If you were to make a recording onto cassette from vinyl, I prefer to play the cassette version of the album rather than the record. Back in the 70's, 80's and beyond, it was (is) very common practice to play the new releases available on vinyl a couple of times through, then make a direct copy to cassette tape. Then the record would be preserved, as that became your Master for future recordings. The tape would be the slave. Cassette tape is a much more convenient format and it was (is) portable for use in your car, Walkman, and boombox.

Nando.

Radio Raheem and Brutus442 like this.
  17. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I did. ^^^^

Bought an album, played it once and recorded it to tape to preserve the "MASTER" record. The record was stowed away and only brought out to remake a tape. I treated the cassette as a consumable. Lying in the car with the summer heat and winter cold, being played over and over. I wasn't long before the degradation got so bad you were again mastering another tape.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

Cassettes here. :biggrin:

19. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Definitely TT, but only if we are talking about the sound Quality. Cassette cannot sound better than the original LP, can it? On the other hand, I like the sound of cassettes recorded from CDs: extra W&F adds some "human" touch to the music. Art Dudley of the now legendary Listener mag, now senior editor of Stereophile, once said: "I love distortions"... I concur...
    Once we factor in "convenience" then nothing beats iPhone: it is always there (sorry, "here") and all you need is some IEM.

MoFi cassettes, really? at $30-60 nowadays? What about MoFi LPs? Better still: Analogue Productions or King Super Analogue LPs, or some "original" pressings?...

to me the real Question is: do you prefer the sound quality of Nakamichi Dragon (or ZX-7, ZX-9) vs. Rega P3. Sorry, the only one I have is Linn Sondek, Keel-ed, with Naim Aro arm and Lyra MC cart. Cassette decks at this price point are non-existent. But, again, the real-real question is about the tape provenance.

@walkman archive I have been thinking about the Q for quite a while (yes, sometimes I have nothing better to do!) and I cannot figure out a situation when cassette gives better SQ than LP. Chad Kassem now offers master copies R2R tapes, at $500 a pop, they must sound better than LPs,... I will never know... but cassettes??? Which ones?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  20. walkman archive

In my experience I've heard MFSL (or MoFi if you prefer) to sound better than their counterpart in vinyl, having used high end gear with both of them. I mean: a high end deck to play the cassette and an excellent turntable + cartridge + preamp to play the vinyl album. Same for the headphones and their headphone amp. No need to have the world's best gear, but it has to be excellent indeed.

Given these conditions, I experienced better qualilty with the cassette, although the difference is not big at all. The sound is more spacious and there's less noise (thanks to Dolby B. I have to say that it's a must to properly decode dolby, and I do that with an external JVC Dolby decoder. You can also do that with a Yamaha with Play trim.
    This advantage in sound is clearly noticeable with the Zubin Mehta Star Wars / Close encounters album. Again, I'm talking about small differences...

STAR WARS OST MFSL Series 01.jpg

what's the problem? There are very few MFSL tapes out there. Even thou you got all them, there are around one hundred albums, which is clearly much less than the huge amount of vinyl albums of excellent quality out there.

I have also some R2R albums but none of them is new; all came from the 60s and 70s. They sound gorgeous, as good or better than their counterparts in vinyl too. The problem with them is that there's no album since end of 70s...

So, to me, cassette wins in terms of absolute quality, followed by vinyl by a small margin (leaving R2R aside). But if we take about album availability in count, then vinyl wins by far.
    Needless to say that it's perfectly possible to make 1:1 copies from vinyl on cassette, so cassette can be the winner after all...

So if I had to sum it up, I'd say:
    • If you have an excellent deck and a proper Dolby decoder (Play trim or external decoder), then MFSL cassettes can offer the absolute quality.
    • If you don't want to be limited to the best of the best cassettes (MFSL), then vinyl wins, but you'll need an excellent TT, cartridge and preamp.
    • If you still want to use cassettes, you can make 1:1 copies from your excellent vinyls, but only if you have the mentioned gear.

Jorge and Elite-ist like this.