1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Sony WM-22 come in black?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Chris, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Active Member

According to this ad featured in the New Musical Express magazine on the 7th September 1985, the WM-22 was available in 3 'original' colours: red, blue and white.

wm22.jpg

However, there have been a few eBay and Gumtree listings of black WM-22s (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...895964?hash=item2cc30bde5c:g:Ot8AAOSwacdZbRIB) so I'm wondering if this is even the same model or if it is then was it released after the ad was printed?

SeanMT likes this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It is possible that different colours were sold in different countries to suit what they thought were the local tastes.

Chris likes this.
  3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

The wm24 did. Same basic model but with Dolby. There is on on eBay now for £65

The 24 is actually a nice little player with a warm open sound. Caps can go, but easily replaced if you know what your doing.

4. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

Old thread, but I have that dark colored WM-22, it's not black, it's more of a grey-ish dark brown shade, I don't have it right now but I can take some pictures of it this weekend if you want.

5. Chris

Chris Active Member

That would be great!

6. Chris

Chris Active Member

I've actually managed to buy a black WM-22 (boxed) so they clearly do exist. I believe the original owner purchased it in the UK so they must have been sold here. It's strange that Sony would leave it out of the colours mentioned in the magazine ad, perhaps it was very unpopular? The Walkman has a serial of over 917000 so it may have been produced after that ad was created.

I did take some pictures but my phone is currently being repaired, I'll upload them when I get it back.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

Mine came from the UK as well, i started using it as a parts machine for my red one because the capstan bearing was broken and it had some weird electrical issues and some striped microscrews. The serial number sticker fell off unfortunately, if I remember correctly, it was in the 20k's or 200k's (maybe even 300k's ?). I can't remember it because that's not the kind of data you remember about :p
    I will take pictures of it this weekend, or at least take it with me to my week place.

Chris likes this.
  8. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

Here are the pictures as promised. You can clearly see the brown shade on the picture. I cannot get a lot of picture angles, because it is quite damaged (that cheap plastic suffered a double fall!) only one screw holds in place and the mechanism falls apart! If you look hard enough on the left side, you see a piece of tape i used to contain the back (shattered mess). The mechanism always was quite damaged from after the fall it suffered (capstan bearing broken, and other weird electromechanical magical issues!). It was never quite fully working. Anyway, the pictures as asked.
    20171016_231404_1200.jpg 20171016_231417_1200.jpg

Chris likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Active Member

Thanks for the pictures. To be honest, I think it's a faded black WM-22, I've noticed mine looks brown from certain angles.

flash_the_84 likes this.
  10. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

I guess you're right, brown is such an unusual color for these "colorful" and "young" players. It makes this WM-22 quite "unique" in a sense though :hmmm, haha.

11. Chris

Chris Active Member

Yes, I think it looks quite good in brown. You could tell people it's a very rare limited edition colour, lol.

flash_the_84 likes this.
  12. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

Haha, limited edition, but very very bad shape so what i'd gain i'd lose because its a pretty stripped down parts machine haha.