1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Llamarama, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Llamarama

Llamarama New Member

Hello everyone! I've just got back into cassettes since leaving them in the early 2000's :)

I'm mainly collecting walkman style players and recorders at the minute, so far i have a Sony WM-D6, Sony TCS-300, Sony TCS-310, Toshiba KT-R1, Toshiba KT-S3 and a few budget models (Lloytron, Realistic, etc)

I'm restoring them myself, though my D6 is taking most of my attention at the minute, it's got a few issues unfortunately.

Looking forward to playing around on the forum, Mike :)

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

hello Llamarama
    welcome,
    please share some pictures of your work / experience fixing your walkmans

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome to S2G, Mike! :wavey:

4. Llamarama

Llamarama New Member

Thanks everyone :) Hopefully will be able top upload a few pics when I stop flash from crashing :)

5. Llamarama

Llamarama New Member

Let's try that again, here's a few of my favourites :)

Sony D3 scaled.jpg
    Sony Walkman WM-D6, very nice condition though currently it is broken. Mute audio and plays too fast so I'm suspecting a problem with the internal power rail as has been mentioned online. I have the service manual so it should just be a case or checking for bad joints and or cracked tracks.

Toshiba Scaled.JPG
    My Toshiba collection, KT-R1 and KT-S3 with the FM tuner pack, both nice players, both require belts annoyingly.

Lloytron.JPG
    Now from the other end of the spectrum! Nice cheap Lloytron, works fine and in great condition other than the volume, play, stop and FF markings being worn off.

You've probably spotted that I'm a fan of big boxy units by now! :p

Boodokhan likes this.
  6. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Hello Llamarama and welcome to Stereo2Go.
    I've been spending too much time, over the last couple of years, messing about with D6s and the two faults you have listed sound very familiar.

I have found that, in many cases, the speed problem is due to failure of a FET and NPN transistor on the CP602 motor drive module. I have posted instructions for repairing the module on Tapeheads on this thread:

Speed Control IC for WM-D6 - where to find or equivalent?

Before removing the CP602, check that you have 11V and that it is getting to where it needs to go. Also, check for dry solder joints and broken or cracked PCB tracks; the D6 is very prone to these.

The muted audio may be due to a failed CP301 mute module. I have had these fail on three out of four D6s. I reverse engineered them and had a batch of replacements made, which I now have for sale on Ebay. The Ebay listing contains details of the part and how to check to see if it is faulty.

The WM-D6 is a fantastic sounding machine and worth persevering with, as I'm sure others on here will confirm.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Jorge, Llamarama and Ball000 like this.
  7. sacguy231

sacguy231 Member

Welcome from a fellow noob to the site!

8. davebush

davebush Active Member

Hey Mike...welcome to the madness

Jorge likes this.
  9. Llamarama

Llamarama New Member

Thanks Sacguy231 and Davebush :)

That's good news Deb64, my heart sunk a little when I read about that problem and not finding component values in the schematic. Hopefully it is that then I can just buy one of your modules :)

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Llamarama: I followed @Deb64 advice and now my D6 sounds wonderful!!! Just follow @Deb64 advice posted at tapeheads.net (hopefully it will be re-posted here!) and you will be fine!!!
    may I ask you to check the traces on CP602 before desoldering FET and NPN transistors?
    And Yes, Welcome to the Madness!

Llamarama likes this.
  11. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jorge. I will post details of the CP602 repair on here in the next couple of days.

12. Llamarama

Llamarama New Member

Hi everyone, so I finally had a few minutes to myself and I think I found the problem with my D6, the DC-DC is dead, no output. I'm going to try replacing that board with a small adjustable switch mode module. It looks like someone was in here before me as the pause mechanism was mis-assembled too. Now pause works and hopefully when the module arrives I'll get sound too :)

13. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

It sounds as though you have found the problem - or one problem. The lack of 11V will cause the motor to run fast and result in lack of audio.

Mihokm has provided a very detailed instruction on how to fix the DC - DC convertor on this thread:

http://stereo2go.org/forums/threads/wm-d6c-dc-dc-converter-fixed.421

The trouble with using a switched mode module is that any noise on the output of the module will translate into noise on the audio output of the walkman.

Jorge and Llamarama like this.
  14. Llamarama

Llamarama New Member

Ah how I dislike surface mount, but at least it's a standard part, thanks for the link!