1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello to all folks who are into 80s music, Walkmans, Vintage players...greetings from Singapore!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Michael, May 1, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Hi all,
    I have been hunting high and low for a forum to join, one that has serious discussions on walkman, vintage equipment and 80s music. I grew up in the 80s and until today, the music still brings back many fond memories of my childhood, school days, etc, times where we compile 80s music on mixtape and share them around, track the UK top 20 every week, getting the vinyls and creating the mixtapes!
    Happy to make many good friends in this forum, share music and information on equipment (hopefully servicing and maintenance tips too!)

Michael

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Welcome Michael, you have definitely come to the right place, i can tell you will fit in already. Like wise i grew up in the 80s and look forward to chatting :wavey:

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Michael, welcome to S2G! :) :wavey:

4. bronco

bronco Active Member

:)Welcome to S2G Michael!

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Welcome Michael, you're in the right place here :)

6. Michael

Michael New Member

Thanks! I see lots of 80s revival and artistes from the 80s performing here in recent years e.g. Rick Astley, Bananarama, etc and Duran Duran was going to perform this year at the night race! Is it also happening in UK which I had been following quite a lot of UK artistes?
    By the way there are several reissues of CDs compilation here and I wonder if we can share some of the releases and versions of the 12" 80s music that we used to listen?

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Welcome Michael,

I was going to mention Banarama who are about to do their first tour as the original Trio !

http://www.aegpresents.co.uk/events...R_DISPLAYAD_GOOGLEAD_260417&utm_source=Direct

I have actually seen the duo version a couple of times.

A lot of the 80s bands, who actually didn't tour much back then are now busy of the revival circuit.
    I am hoping to get to this in July.

http://www.letsrocksouthampton.com/

I have been to the last two when the headliners were Kim Wilde then Holly Johnson

There are radio programs like Sounds of the Eighties and even whole radio stations dedicated to the Eighties,
    while on TV they are reshowing most of the Top of the Pops programs. They are currently up to 1982.

I wonder which your favourite 80s bands were.

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hello Michael
    Welcome to the forum, I see you come from the cleanest country of the world. We have another member from Singapore who has a lot of knowledge about Walkmans and vintage electronics

9. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard!

10. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Howdy Michael, welcome to s2g, I hope you have a pleasant stay here. :wavey:

11. Michael

Michael New Member

Thanks everyone! Hope to learn from everyone here!
    Hi Longman, there are so many 80s group I loved, and in the 80s, I followed the charts and subscribed to No. 1 and Smash Hits magazines (both printed in the UK). There are so many groups and off the back of my mind (trying to recall the posters I had on my wall then) would be Wham, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Kajagoogoo, U2, Bee Gees, Pet Shop Boys, A-ha....I also collected lots of 12" singles on tapes and trying to locate them now (both in cassette and mp3 format). If I am ever in UK, I will definitely catch the 80s revival concerts!
    Hi BoodoKhan! Hope to see you in Singapore one of these days! I am also looking to see if I can get a BoodoKhan Sony Walkman! Its a priceless collector item now (saw one on eBay recently). By the way, do you happen to know the nickname of the Singapore member? Thanks!
    A warm hello to all in US, UK, Russia, Spain and Italy!

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  12. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Someone posted this link a couple of weeks ago which has loads of Smash Hits scans.

http://likepunkneverhappened.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/

During the 1980s my favourites were the girls like Kim Wilde, Madonna then Kylie.
    I still vividly remember seeing Madonna for the very first time in the Video for Lucky Star on Top of the Pops.
    This emocion shows my reaction :inlove:

13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

"Bub " is from Singapore as I can see from his ID. I learn a lot from bub.
    I agree with you about DD-100 known as Boodokhan ,it is a highly collectible Walkman.
    hopefully someday all S2G members will gather in Singapore for a cassette party :wink:

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Michael, welcome! I discovered S2G quite recently and got stuck here!
    80-ies music: my first salary, all of it, was spent on Marillion and J-M Jarre albums. Two LPs for a month's salary, you cannot beat such sweet memories!! (grandma's pension was paying for our food).

15. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Morning dude and welcome to S2G

16. Michael

Michael New Member

Thanks for sharing! Lots of 80s discussions here!
    I am also reviving my interest in vinyl, have seen some reissues of albums by Michael Jackson, Beatles etc . Just wondering if there are any planned releases of 12" singles of the 80s? Missed collecting extended versions of Duran, Culture Club, Frankie, etc

17. Michael

Michael New Member

Same here...all my pocket money was on cassettes, then records, CD...somehow I skipped DAT and MD...must be lack of albums and support by the music companies ...

18. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Almost the same here.. :)) Also missed MD, let alone DAT. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  19. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Mystic Traveller: Good for you! this is the benefit of being here and in this hobby because of the music, not the latest gizmos! I totally Love digital "perfect sound forever' and hi-rez... but nothing can beat the wall of Sound, clicks, and 1st harmonic distortions of the analog when I manage to move my ass out of the sweet spot and put LP onto Sondek...
    Getting cheap and buying shitty seats at LA Opera always reminds me that I should have stayed at home and listened to music without any distractions or pain of getting thru LA traffic (St.Petersburg crowd, as I remember it, is another matter: most of the concert-goers have a flu during "the season" and they cough/sneeze constantly and relentlessly!! Breathtaking performances over the background of human suffering..., I could never understand why won't they leave and get in bed (even better, die!), why did they have to come to the concert if they have a flu or bronchitis? Mysteries of Russian Soul, myguess...)

20. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site, Michael. I'm your friendly neighborhood from Malaysia. There are not many Asian members around but very delighted to know people from other continents that have the similar enthusiasm about vintage electronics.

Boodokhan likes this.