1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Just got my WM-2 and... it DOESN'T work..

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by lewistapehead, Jul 21, 2017.

1. lewistapehead

lewistapehead New Member

The title says it all..
    I've put some fresh AA batts. put a brand new cobalt tape and it wouldn't move. Then, I removed the tape and let the case opened while pressing play and the capstan and drive wheel (?) were moving. Then I decided to help them with my fingers and after a while I heard some gears crackling and then it stopped. Then it worked again but still wouldn't play my tape. Then I tried w/o the tape the case closed but it wouldn't move. Finally it stopped moving at all. Even with the case opened. I hit FwD and the red light went off after 2 secs.. Do you know what could it be? I ordered a belt from ebay at the same time purchasing the Walkman. Other than that, it's in pretty good cosmetic shape except for the broken battery door and sketchy lock mechanism that is loose (anyone knows how to fix it?) I could have some guy fixing it but I'd love to do it myself because I want to start working on Walkmans

2. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

May be cracked center gear? Some WM-2 versions used new, modern version of gear, that do crack.