1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me remember what portable I used to own

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by smalltownguy2, Dec 13, 2016.

1. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Looking for some help in identifying a portable cassette player I used to own. I don't remember a lot of details about it, but I do remember one very specific detail - this particular unit had an in-line remote control that could be used to fast forward a tape, rewind, reverse, etc. In radio mode, it could be used to skip ahead by one station preset, switch bands, etc. This was done by clicking a single button x1, x2, or x3 times to activate certain functions. It also had a side-mounted thumbwheel for volume.

The headphone jack on the portable had a metal/brass ring on the outside of the jack, and the mini plug also had an outer metal ring on it too. I believe this outer ring is what allowed the in-line remote to pass the x1, x2, x3 signals to the unit.

I'm unsure on the brand, but I was told it was a pretty high end unit when I bought it. I do not believe it had any mechanical buttons for play, pause, stop, etc, I believe all the buttons were microswitches.

Any ideas on what unit I used to have?

2. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Here's a pretty crude drawing of the remote and plug it used.

Attached Files:

3. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Hey! I just found an image of a Kenwood unit, and the headphone jack has the outer metal ring. I think we're on to something here.....

4. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Here's the Kenwood unit I found a photo of. It's a model CP-E5. I don't think that's an exact match to the one I have, but it DOES look like it's using the same "outer ring" technology for the remote though.

Attached Files:

5. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Here's a panasonic RQ-SX72 - this one also uses the metal ring technology. Now I'm not sure if I had a Kenwood or a Panasonic model......

Attached Files:

6. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Okay, I'm really close now - I just found the Panasonic RQ-V520, and that one's a near match to what I remember. It HAS to be in that family of players, very close to that model number.

Attached Files:

7. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Okay, I've seen pics of both the RQ-V460 and RQ-V520, and both appear to be the same externally. All the photos I've seen show a pair of earbuds with an inline remote control, but the inline remote has a round button in the photos I've seen. I distinctly remember a rectangle shaped button, and a side mounted thumbwheel for volume. I'll keep looking for pics.

8. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Here's the V460

Attached Files:

9. smalltownguy2

smalltownguy2 New Member

Here's a chart from the operating manual of the V520, showing the various beeps and button presses to operate the tape player. Hilarious! Pi Pi Pi

Attached Files: