1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me save a poor abused 777

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Northerner, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Never had a 777 but always wanted one! So I now have a super scruffy and abused 777 that had a hard life as a shopfitters box in Blackpool! It's also been robbed of its speakers!!! The top and back have been sprayed silver...over the dents (it needs work on the top), the handle, the aerial stubs etc...what a mess!

I bought this as a shell but when I got it home it powers up, the decks work, the tuner tunes in, the vus work, as do the lights. I just don't know whether it makes any noise as there are no speakers!

The switches feel ok tho the volume on is a bit loose so may need some soldering or replacement.

I'm gonna strip it, give it a deep clean, try some speakers, sand and repair the top and back and respray it where needed. The front is actually in good nick and I think will polish up really well.

I actually already have some Sharp speakers from other scrap boxes like a 575 that I guess might fit this but I'm missing a few other bits. The most important being the tuner glass. Does anyone have any of the following?

Tuner glass
    Aerials
    Speakers
    Any of the missing knobs

I think a box like this deserves the full treatment and to be saved from the trash so if anyone can help me out here it would be much appreciated! I can pay cash for parts or swap for parts I have, whichever is easier [​IMG]

And if anyone doubts my determination to save a wrecked box ask about the smashed Sharp GF9000 I spent 30+ hours on lol :)

Anyway, here are some before pics of the sad state it's in at the moment...enjoy!
    IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3097.JPG IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3099.JPG

mrp32Dave likes this.
  2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

ohh jezers you have you're work cut out si, try the box on headphones it may tell you if any of the amps are working,

you do get some wright fixer uppers haha and yea i think i remember that poor old gf9000. i think the speakers are 6 and a half " same as the aiwa 770, good luck bro

Brutus442 and Northerner like this.
  3. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

That should keep you busy for while and it's a Z instead of the more common E .

Northerner likes this.
  4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I feel a major refurb coming on....

Glad you saved this Si and sometimes this is the only way to get a GF777 that isn't silly money. With your skills and determination and some parts this will sing again i have no doubt.

Northerner likes this.
  5. Northerner

Good thinking that man...only had it home today so didn't do that yet...just tried it and it works perfectly on both channels...volume knob and all the others work well...result!

Radio Raheem likes this.
  6. Northerner

Yeh a few hours work I reckon and good that it's a Z :)

7. Northerner

Yeh they seem to be stupid money at the moment plus I love a full on refurb anyway...paid very little for this but it ain't worth much in its present state lol :)

8. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

This tells me the main left and right amp is working si, im not sure how you can test the central woofer amp my man, with luck there both fine tho lad:wink:

Brutus442 likes this.
  9. Northerner

Well if everything else is then the chances are good I reckon...:bigthumbsup:

10. Patron

Patron Active Member

Wow, can't wait to see it complete again ,

Northerner likes this.
  11. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I think Dr Frankenstein started with less skills than you have Si. Soon that parts will start flowing and she'll be back up in no time!

Northerner likes this.
  12. deech

deech Well-Known Member

No doubt this GF-777Z will be brought back to life with your skills Si in no time.
    There are plenty of usable parts with one being sold at ebay which is pretty
    low priced until now. Here is the link ------->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-Stere...175385?hash=item3ad9eb3c19:g:xz4AAOSw32lYnbIq

It is ending in 4 hours.
    Cant wait to see it complete ! :)
    I can see this will be such an interesting thread like the legendary restore on you GF-9000 you did.

Brutus442 and Northerner like this.
  13. Northerner

Was watching this eBay one...even this slightly wrecked one went for £150....wowsers!

Nikonfoo is having a look to see if he's got a tuner window for me :) :)

14. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Good stuff. Try icedmelon702 on ebay he has helped me out on a few occasions.

Northerner likes this.
  15. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Looks to have great potential especially since it seems to work as is, I'm sure once you have the missing parts and do your magic on it :biggrin:, it will turn out really nice.

Northerner likes this.
  16. Northerner

Yeh I've looked at his stuff. If nikonfoo doesn't find one I'll check Mr Melon :)

17. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Poor "3 Axes", good luck with the Resto! :)

Northerner likes this.
  18. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Regarding speakers, back on the Hoopla platform someone posted some pictures of how they fitted new Alpine car speakers into a GF777.

Google remembers the thread http://stereo2go.org/topic/sharp-gf-777-main-speakers.htm

I thought it looked good and they reckoned it sounded good as well. I suppose it depends on how original you want the box to look.

Regarding Cassette Doors are they interchangeable with a GF555 ? They look to be quite similar.

19. Northerner

Yeh there's a fair bit about replacement speakers. I've actually got the deck doors, there on the table in front :)

20. Northerner

Bath time :) IMG_3115.JPG

deech, thid and Brutus442 like this.