1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Berlin

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Reimar, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Reimar

Reimar New Member

Hi everyone.

My name is Reimar, I'm from Berlin. I stumbled upon this community while doing research for spare parts. From what I read so far, this seems like a great forum with really enthusiastic and kind members.

I grew up in the 80ies and had Walkmans of every generation. As a kid, I was listening to sci-fy audio dramas on my Sony to fall asleep, later as a teenager, I was the proud owner of a shiny blue AIWA, listening to Radiohead and Nirvana while waiting at the bus stop.

A couple of months ago I started collecting Walkmans out of accident – I got one on eBay and it was broken. So I replaced the belt. Then I became curious, ordered other (broken) models and fixed them. Although I am not an electrician or electrical mechanic (I am a programmer and designer by trade) I was always good at tinkering and fixing stuff. So … that’s my new hobby then I guess ;)

Looking forward to take part here. I will try to help with advice for repairing issues.
    I attached some pictures from a part of my collection. And a totally staged photo of my workbench ;)

aiwas-top.PNG sony_DD1-DD11-front.PNG sony_DD33s-front.PNG sony_DDIIs-front.PNG sony_ex612s-front.PNG sony_DDs-top.PNG workbench.JPG

autoreverser likes this.
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Wow, you are new to this hobby and already acquired a nice collection. You got some of the most beautiful DD series.
    Welcome aboard.

3. Reimar

Reimar New Member

Thanks. I know, I was really lucky to find these DDs. They are just so well built and designed. And easy to open and repair, even easy to solder. But also the modern, slim walkmans have interesting and smart engineering. Tougher to repair though :)

4. bronco

bronco Active Member

Welcome Reimar; don't forget to use the demagnetizer after reassembling that walkman.;)

5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Damn thats a lovely collection already! I have just started collecting and repairing a few walkmans having collected mostly boomboxes. They are tricky to repair sometimes but its very satisfying.

Gonna add one of the Sony DD range as my next on the list, yours look so good.

6. Reimar

Reimar New Member

@bronco – haha yeah ;) The effects from demagnetising seem rather esoteric to me but maybe that's because the walkmans were in good condition anyways. However, I love the idea of something going wrong with that spooky demagnetiser … opening a portal to another dimension where buildings are made of flesh and giant robot spiders rule a society of human slaves or stuff like that :D

@T-ster – totally satisfying! Small little puzzles and many small genius engineering details to discover. For me, it’s a relaxing exercise after a stressful work day.

bronco likes this.
  7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

Willkommen an Bord (...welcome aboard) :thumbsup:

Reimar likes this.
  8. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard. Very nice collection indeed!

Reimar likes this.
  9. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome to S2G! :)

Reimar likes this.
  10. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Nice collection welcome .

Reimar likes this.
  11. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Morning dude and welcome to S2G