1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High-end headphone meeting at Lleida (Spain)

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by walkman archive, Jun 11, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

This weekend I've been invited to join an extraordinary event here in Catalonia (Lleida, actually). The meeting was started by Sisco (aka Stersa at Auriculares-hifi.com forums) and the place was the Llotja at Lleida, which is an impressive building:

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 01.jpg

The meeting consist in just sharing our equipment and experiences and enjoy as much as you can. Sisco bought such an amount of high-end and rare headphones that could blow anyone's mind. Seriously. There was about 20 high-end headphones all together. Just like a free bar!

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 06.jpg
    Sisco's headphone collection. A blowing mind's one for sure!
    The meeting as early as 9:00. I arrived a bit early and it was almost full of people and gear.

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 03.jpg
    The meeting started as early as 9:00 am. You can see my SONY TC-D5M at the bottom of the image.
    Almost every high-end headphone was there. The list of headphones brought by Sisco was this:

AKG K7XX
    AKG K400
    AKG K712
    AKG K812
    AKG K1000 Bass Heavy
    AKG K1000 Bass light

AUDEZE LCD3
    AUDEZE LCD4 200ohm

BEYERDYNAMIC T1 2g
    BEYERDYNAMIC Dt1770 pro
    BEYERDYNAMIC REFERENCE EDITION

B&O. H7

DENON D7000

ETHER C Flow
    ETHER Flow

FOCAL Elear
    FOCAL Utopia

FOSTEX Th900 Mk2
    FOSTEX Th610
    FOSTEX ThX00

GRADO GH2
    GRADO GS2000e
    GRADO G.S.E
    GRADO TWEEN PULSE

HIFIMAN Edition X
    HIFIMAN HE1000 V2
    Hifiman HE500 modified
    Hifiman HE500

PIONEER Master SE1

SENNHEISER HD800
    SENNHEISER HD800S
    Sennheiser HD580 mounted on a HD600 headband
    Sennheiser HD600

SONY Mdr Z1R

STAX Sigma Pro
    STAX SR007 MK1 Early
    STAX SR007 Mk2
    STAX SR009
    STAX SR507
    STAX SR207
    STAX SR L700

TAKSTAR PRO82

ULTRASONE EDITION 10
    ULTRASONE PRO550i
    ULTRASONE PRO750
    ULTRASONE PRO900
    ULTRASONE Signature Studio
    ULTRASONE Tribute 7

IEMS AUDIOFLY

As you can see, the list is impressive!

There were also lots of HD800 and HD800S.

I took my SONY TC-D5M as my main player as well as my Super-D6c, Super-DC2 and Super-DD9. But in the end I was using mainly the D5M and just a few time the D6C.

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 08.jpg
    Testing the ultra-high-end FOCAL Utopia with my SONY D5M.
    Here you can see the 4000$ FOCAL Utopia ultra-high-end headphone on my SONY D5M, which sound really impressive. Well, the D5M is not at the same level of some of my best decks but frankly it was pretty close, and it withstood fairly well with any headphones I connected to it.

Yes, the Utopia sounds a bit better than my Elear, but the difference isn't worth the price increase at all.

Impressive performance, indeed. The Super-D6C performed admirably, but it was a small step behind the D5M, specially in the treble.

There were impressive amplifiers like this:

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 04.jpg

Or these:

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 07.jpg

One of the most waited moments was when I connected my D5M to the ultra-high-end 5000$ STAX 009 electrostatic headphones:

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 05.jpg

And, not surprisingly, it performed admirably well, with a sound that can stop your heart pumping again...

Some of the people there were curious to hear my cassettes (as you can guess, I was the only one with analog source) and almost all them (there were exceptions, though) were most surprised/seriously impressed about how they sound. They said things like "holy god! is this really a cassette?" or "I can't believe a cassette can sound this good!", and I was sooo happy to hear that.

I took a few tapes that I recorded from vinyl that I carefully cleaned. I used Dolby B because I knew many of them are very picky audiophiles and I didn't want the noise to be clearly heard. As the D5M only has B type, I used that. I don't mind using Dolby B at all, as I find it very transparent ot well used.

One of my favorite headphones was the Hifiman HE-500, followed by the DENON AH-D7000 and the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00. They are over-the-ear, closed headphones but they sound really well. They have a close to each other sound signature and they aren't far from the Focal Elear that I recently got (and love).

I tried the Grado GS-2000 (which I didn't like at all), and the brand new Pioneer Master SE-1 (which didn't like too).

Some of the people that tested my Sennheiser HD540 reference gold liked them a lot, as well as my SONY MDR-CD3000, which was compared to the best of the best.

Surprisingly the Takstar Pro82 did sound pretty well. Not as well as a DENON D7000, but... what if I tell you that they cost 75 euros? Not bad, huh?

Headphone high-end Lleida meeting 09.jpg

At the end, Sisco gave all of us a box of muffins made by his family as a present, that were soo nice and tasty.

So, all in all and excellent meeting. Something to remember for years, and a good wayt to meet other people with the same hobby. Looking for the next one! ;-)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing this experience.
    Was there any voting by participant to pick the best headphone?

3. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Hey sounds like you had loads of fun with all those lovely headphones.

Did you get to listen to the Ultrasone Edition 10, if so what did you think? For me at the price it is, it is one of the worst headphones I have ever heard at any price. Ultasone really screwed up big time on that one. I liked the Edition 8.

I have to say I disagree with you with the difference from the Focal Elear and the Utopia, there is a world of difference. Source and amplification is important as it scales up nicely, all i can say whatever source / amplification you used was not up to the Job of really showing the difference.

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

great post but these headphone amps just seem mickey mouse to me, id like to try a few grands worth one day

walkman archive likes this.
  5. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Indeed a very interesting meeting! All that ear Candy to test and compare is the iDEAL way to decide what model to buy.... Hugo, i have also the Hifiman , did't you found them a tad darkisch sounding?

6. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome. No, there wasn't any. At least until I was there (I had to go back home before launch (family matters), but the rest remained until night and not sure about that.

Lots of fun indeed. And many nice people that I met. Luckily I met three guys that also liked analog sound and live here in Barcelona, so you'll guess that we will met together more times soon.
    I tested an ultrasone (cannot remember which one) and I didn't like it at all. Bad sounding indeed!
    Regarding the Utopia, my testing was quick and not very though and deep. I'd like to have it at home for a few days to test them in deep, but that was my first impression.
    There were many people talking around and we all were excited so I could not stay calm and concentrated. Anyway, its price it s totally out of my target so I didn't put a lot of attention on it as I already knew I won't be buying anything in that price range at all. Same for the LCD-4, STAX and other ultra-expensive headphones...

I found the Hifiman 500 to have a sound signature with a slight V. I like them, but the price is high. The LCD-4 are very dark sounding. I didn't like them very much...

7. TooCooL4

I understand what you mean, I wanted to listen to the new Sennheiser Orpheus but listening session was all booked up. So I thought I will never have the money to buy it anyway at €50000. I did get to pick it up and examine it, it’s heavy but looks amazing.

I would not spend a huge amount on headphones anyway as I only ever use them on the move, now if we are talking speakers that is a different matter.
    I would like to upgrade my Peak Consult Princess Signature to the new Incognito 20th anniversary edition. They are only producing it as a limited run so I need to get €15995 together before the run stops, that is so annoying as I have a few things going on this year already.

The Incognito is the one that started it off for me, but at the time I did not have £10000 for one. Now I really must have one. I think I will have to cut back on a few things so I can get one.:wink:

It’s the small stand mount one in this picture.

Incognito 20th.jpeg

Radio Raheem likes this.
  8. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

For 10000£, you can buy as good as new Lumen White, or Acapella or almost everything Thats by far betters your princesses!

9. TooCooL4

Why would i want to buy anything like that? I love the sound of Peak Consult speakers. I don't really have a need for big speakers, a good stand mount is all i need.

10. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Ok.... You are the boss... Then give me for 2000£ a pair of Wilson audio Cub's... :)

11. TooCooL4

Wilson do make good sounding speakers but they are always big. I like TAD speakers too but again they are always big even the new Micro Evolution is bigger than my Peak Consult Princess.

Before the Princess I had the Totem Acoustic Monitor One.

12. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Yes indeed, big..... And the cub is very difficult to drive..... The totem was very praised! But never heard..... Vaessen Audiodesign from Belgium is also very impressive!!!

13. TooCooL4

I would still rather have a Peak Consult than having a Wilson Audio.

14. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Speaking of headphones outside our price range if anyone's interested there's a sony MDR-R10 (bass light version) being sold for 1900 quids.
    https://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/6167399454.html

I would gladly get this if I had the money for it and a train ride to london.